News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

I made something.

Started by DarkShuyin, 02, May, 2010, 10:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frammm

Quote from: Atrius on 08, May, 2010, 07:26:55 PM
It's not possible to add new party members, you have to replace an existing one.

Yeah I know is not possible and possible, it needs a total recode of the game and that's
a pain in the a** because I already added a new character to another game not for GBA
but for PC, it needs a lot of research and time.

Also OllyDBG is not the same as GBA debugger :P. But I was talking about adding a new sprite,
the GBA ROM must have some free space no? Or somehow with a HEX editor can add 00 bytes, or
the hardware doesnt accept it?

Atrius (He/Him)

Adding new sprites, and a new party member are two entirely different things.  The way the game is programmed it's just not possible to have more than 8 party members, but with a bit of work you could add more slots for sprites.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

DarkShuyin

That sucks. I wanted to have a 9 man team...ffs

MaxiPower

Okay no more than 8 Members at once is out the window... Is it possible to have say...

8 members
:Isaac: :Garet: :Ivan: :Mia: :Felix: :Jenna: :Sheba: :Piers:

then at some point in the game, you get a new party but no control of the first 8.

DarkShuyin

Quote from: MaxiPower on 09, May, 2010, 10:05:22 AM
Okay no more than 8 Members at once is out the window... Is it possible to have say...

8 members
:Isaac: :Garet: :Ivan: :Mia: :Felix: :Jenna: :Sheba: :Piers:

then at some point in the game, you get a new party but no control of the first 8.

I wanted it like this:

:Isaac: :Garet: :Ivan: :Mia: :Felix: :Jenna: :Sheba: :Piers: :Alex:

><...

Atrius (He/Him)

The way the game handles the data for the characters there can only be 8 unique party members, and you cannot swap them out.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Aile~♥

You could perhaps have it so the first time you get one party member, he/she has an item in their inventory that gives them a specific class, along with a sprite and name swap? So you could have Piers, but he has a class-changing item that also, like the Machete for Isaac and Garet, changes his battle sprite to a custom one made for Alex. But then the next time you meet them later on, they don't have the item in their inventory, meaning they're their normal selves. Thus, you could pretty much pretend you have 9 party members, or maybe even more. (But all the "pretend" ones would have to be temporary, because there'd be various bugs like class changing and such.)
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Atrius (He/Him)

You also have to consider their stats, level, name, and everything else saved with their data that can't be swapped readily, the game only has 8 slots for saving character information, so what will you do with the 9th when they're not around?  Maybe with some advanced ASM hacking you could slap something together that made it fairly convincing, but I don't think you could separate them completely.

leaf

It does sound like a mess to have temporary party members... especially when you consider that these temporary party members would also have to have restrictions on what you could do with their items/djinn.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Aile~♥

Easy: Only that party member can equip that weapon/item, and it cannot be removed. As for stats, there are Rings, Armour, Weapons, and Psy Tools, all of which can have effects bestowed on them.

I figure, if the section of the game they appear in is small enough, they wouldn't get a chance to gain levels, and thus you wouldn't have to deal with it.

For example, with Alex, just leave him at level 18 and give him a nice completely cheap class with a ton of Psys and high stat boosts. He wouldn't show up in your party anywhere but the introductory sequence, so no problems there.

And what about Jenna in the first GS? Did GS1 have 5 party members or something? Or did it also have space for 8?
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Atrius (He/Him)

Although the menus weren't yet programmed to handle it properly, the original Golden Sun also had 8 party member slots.

leon_95

That means, I could put  :Felix: in the Party of the 1st Golden Sun... or even :Saturos: or  :Menardi: ( :um: sorry, that I start discussing in your Conversation)
Mostly active in the Speedrunning discord, and have taken a long long break from this community here.