News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

EPA? I don't get it.

Started by Onikapitua, 26, July, 2011, 03:38:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onikapitua

What exactly does EPA mean?
I've seen it used many times, but have no clue what the terminology is.

dwkjohn

Enviromental Protection Agency. the name kinda explains itself. google it.
Just sayin'.  

,-~~-.___.            Golden Sun
  /   |  '         \   Hacking Community
(     )           0              |
   \_/-, ,------'              /
      ===                     //                   
      /    \-'~;    /~~~(O)
    /    __/~|__/         |   
=(  _____| (_________|
All your internet entertainment.

Salanewt

It depends on the context in which it is used. EPA could be what dwkjohn says, or it could be Elemental Physical Ability/Attack. It could probably be many other things too.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Mion Sonozaki

An EPA as an ability type value is where a party member physically strikes an enemy, as opposed to spell animations.

As a damage type, it adds onto physical damage.

The difference between the two is one is the animation, and one is damage.

Stands for Elemental Physical Attack.

Rolina

Quote from: dwkjohn on 26, July, 2011, 07:58:45 AM
You must be new here.  Context is important.

As others have said, EPA is Elemental Physical Attack.  Dunno why they call it that, as I prefer the term Physical Psynergy to EPA - but EPA is the term that was popularized, so it's the one that's used.

EPAs fall under two categories - Added Damage, and Multiplier Damage.  Added Damage EPAs are things like Ragnarok, Odyssey, Planet Diver, and almost every unleash.  Multiplier Damage EPAs are things like Shuriken, Annihilation, Quick Strike, and Meggido.

Because Multipliers are capable of much much higher damage output than added damage attacks, they're usually the go-to source of damage in Golden Sun games.  The only exception is for Low Level challenges, where the lower base for the multiplier means that Added Damage is king.  However, in a normal run, you'll always be going for the multiplier.

Onikapitua

Quote from: Role on 27, July, 2011, 04:49:57 PM

As others have said, EPA is Elemental Physical Attack.  Dunno why they call it that, as I prefer the term Physical Psynergy to EPA - but EPA is the term that was popularized, so it's the one that's used.

EPAs fall under two categories - Added Damage, and Multiplier Damage.  Added Damage EPAs are things like Ragnarok, Odyssey, Planet Diver, and almost every unleash.  Multiplier Damage EPAs are things like Shuriken, Annihilation, Quick Strike, and Meggido.

Because Multipliers are capable of much much higher damage output than added damage attacks, they're usually the go-to source of damage in Golden Sun games.  The only exception is for Low Level challenges, where the lower base for the multiplier means that Added Damage is king.  However, in a normal run, you'll always be going for the multiplier.

Spectacular answer, thank you.

dwkjohn

Quote from: Role on 27, July, 2011, 04:49:57 PM
I am new... plus i had just finished explaining to my teacher that my friend never finished his report to the EPA about our eco club. and I figured anything videogame related wouldn't be in open discussion. so I was taking it out of context the wrong way. if it had been elsewhere I would have thought about videogames. my bad. but now we have two meanings :D
Just sayin'.  

/    \-'~;    /~~~(O)
    /    __/~|__/         |   
=(  _____| (_________|

Rolina

Quoteeco club
*snickers*

Anywho, laughing at silly clubs aside, this is a Golden Sun site.  When in this site, EPA always refers to the context of the game, unless otherwise specified such as in a topic about government.

Salanewt

^ Was in the wrong topic, but Lishy fixed it to the best of his ability.

True, but if it is in the Open Discussion topic, then couldn't that imply that the topic could be for more than Golden Sun? If it were in the Golden Sun section, then it would make more sense to give a Golden Sun-related answer.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

dwkjohn

Quote from: Role on 27, July, 2011, 11:53:38 PM
Quoteeco club
*snickers*
and whats wrong with that??! i care about nature and our world thank u. do you have a car that has 140 mpg? hmm? ... with my luck u probably do and ill get nuked again but whatever. had it been in a different section, i would have kept my mouth shut about the enviroment. my apologies. :)
Just sayin'.  

/    \-'~;    /~~~(O)
    /    __/~|__/         |   
=(  _____| (_________|

Rolina

Sorry, it's just... most people I know of in clubs like that are the types of people who think that human beings are herbivorous.  As such, I've lost all respect for such clubs.  Preserving the environment is fine and all, but the reasoning people use sometimes is just... really?  That's the best they can come up with?