News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Golden Sun Decor (Minecraft 1.7 Mod)

Started by Majora, 09, May, 2014, 04:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Majora

charon the ferryman

Doesn't Fever have more spiked feet?

Otherwise I like him a lot.

Majora

I agree, will adjust things accordingly. Can get around to fine-tuning the models later.
The name of the game at the moment is getting generic Djinn into the game, which is now complete:

Working on their behaviors and attacks now

charon the ferryman

That's a cuteness overload.

Here's a couple of suggestions:
-Have each djinn have a chance of inflicting a status for a couple of seconds. Venus should probably be Poison, Mercury should be Weakness, Mars should be set on Fire and Jupiter should be Slow (you can of course modify these to what you think makes more sense).
-Have Jupiter have no falling damage and Mars have reduced falling damage, because Jupiter flies and Mars levitates.  :MarsSet:

Majora

That's what I'm thinking, can do a lot with these little guys.
Will have Ground's attacks inflict Slowness upon the assaulted player, which makes it difficult for you to move, just like he does in-game.
Various little things along those lines.

May be able to give them Living, Hurt, and Death sounds as well, can use their extracted audio from Dark Dawn for that.

Majora

Almost have the whole gang together. Unfortunately Fever was a little too busy at the time for a photograph, although you can still see him in the distance.
Gust is pretty sweet, summons a storm when something attacks it. Looking into getting Fever to explode as a defense mechanism

zman9000

Quote from: Majora on 09, May, 2014, 09:53:06 PM
I'll look into Djinn and summons later on, see what can be done with them.
O wow... i think you should look into things like the rival rebels mod and the volts mod

i can just see it now. having something like the explosion animation from rival rebels and the missiles from volts for judgement.

something like using the summon has the knight with a lion face  gun thing show up in the sky and shoots a blue orb at an enemy, and then when it hits an expanding blue orb like explosion happens that damages and hostile mods in its range with massive damage. explosion damage optional

it wouldn't exactly be copying since both of those example are merely examples of what can be done in minecraft.
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Majora

Looks pretty cool, can look into it further at a later point, see how it's done.
If worse came to worse, I could simply make spawn-entity NPC models for each summon, which takes time.
Might not look as good as it perhaps could, though. Can imagine the blocky model look might not look all that pretty on some of the more easy-on-the-eye summons, such as Atalanta, Flora, Iris, and so on. Would have an easier time modeling Ocarina Of Time's Great Fairy, curves and all.

I know I'll be adding unique models for each individual Djinn over time though, modeling and texturing those little guys is wicked fun.

zman9000

O well i don't expect you to get models as good as pixelmon mods new models.
those people are like on Asian level talent (i hope this doesn't offend anyone)
when i saw those i was like "WOA you can do that in minecraft?"
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Majora

Some Pixelmon more than others, in my opinion. Can only be so forgiving with a Mew of this nature: http://wiki.pixelmonmod.com/index.php?title=Mew
Although their textures are pretty sweet, looks like they started using higher resolution skins, had to do that with Gust the Jupiter Djinn to fit all the pleasant little pinks, purples, and blues in there. Always liked that Djinn, looks like a living jewel.

Slightly unrelated, but should Djinn spawn in biomes that match their element?
For example, should Mercury Djinn only spawn in Snowy biomes, Mars Djinn in desert biomes, Venus Djinn in plain biomes and dungeons, and Jupiter Djinn in jungle biomes (thinking of Tret's Jupiter Djinn)?

I could make a new biome specifically for Jupiter Djinn if necessary.

Rolina

So... how exactly are djinn implemented?  Do they get their own, non-stacking inventory slots (kinda like armor)?  I could see them being usable in the scroll bar, as well - use it to activate its effect, with a cooldown before you can re-set it (6 seconds seems to be the standard rpg "turn", so that sounds like a good cooldown).  Later on, once summons are implemented, I could see there being a longer "recovery" cooldown that takes effect...

charon the ferryman

It looks like he's just implementing the mobs right now. I suggested that they drop as items - if he has the skill and gets around to your idea it sounds pretty cool, although it might just be easier and less broken to just be able to craft summons lol.

Hey, idea - after making them drop as an object, if you respawn them by using them as opposed to crafting them, they're considered tame, so they can easily be "set" again.

Majora

Yeah it's all rudimentary at the moment, have them emulating wolf behavior patterns for the tame effect, will get around to fleshing out exactly what it is they do besides walking around, summoning rain, exploding, and giving you the stink eye at a later point.
Their wolf behavior is actually kind of funny, they shake water off their bodies after a rainstorm ends, it's pretty cool.

Testing new higher definition and transparent blocks currently. Wonder how cool Golden Sun blocks would look if they were at higher resolutions

Rolina

If you have it so that you can collect as many as you want, but there's only 9 equip slots, it could make for some interesting stuff.  Not only that, but if you randomize the abilities of the drops, you can make it so that you essentially emulate the nature of the Djinn abilities without having to specifically copy stuff.  Just have a random name generator for each element, and a random ability generator for the whole.  You can have things like different levels of reach, range, knockback, added/multiplied damage, added effects, etc.  Would make for some interesting things.

Just... make sure they're still rare spawns.

Majora

Could do that, already have a portion of it down. The Djinn are already rare spawns, think the max percentage of one being generated in any biome is under 5%, can only have one randomly-spawned Djinn in any biome at any given time. Had to drop some eggs in the field to get screenshots of them.

Was thinking of creating a GUI accessible via an assigned button on the keyboard that accurately replicated Golden Sun's pause menu, with the icons and the move-selection sound and all that. Could create a Djinn selection GUI for that page, with a reasonably similar class system that offers different classes with different in-game abilities, determined by the number and element assignment of the Djinn you have equipped on your person.

And by the way, have a happy birthday ma'am.:JupiterDjinni:

Rolina

Thanks.

Anywho, I figured you could keep the Minecraft UI for this - instead, you'd do what the Aether and a few other mods do an actually add new slots and tabs to the inventory menu.  That'd make most sense for minecraft - but I could totally see you adding a UI option to the options menu to switch between traditional Minecraft UI and GS-themed UI.  TBS and TLA are the most recognizable menus, but you should totally look into a 32x32 res pack that uses DD-style icons and such.  Dat sexy Dusk Blade, amirite? :D

Majora

Absolutely, was coincidentally looking into grabbing some material from Dark Dawn just now, actually. Would like to be able to implement the items and textures from that game as well.

May have to wait on that one for the time being, unfortunately, as it seems that the most promising links you find tend to involve people responding with lists of extraction tools or DIY tutorials on how to extract textures and other material from a game for the original poster to peruse, (as opposed to simply uploading a .RAR with the files the individual asked for) for fear of violating copyrights they believe Camelot, among other developers, may or may not have on each individual texture and icon image from the game.

Tend to see that a lot with video game textures online, unfortunately. Had to beat an old woman with a stick to get Ocarina Of Time's textures without having to sit down with a copy of Rice's Video Plugin and play through the entirety of the game in Project 64.

Rolina

Well, I have all the menu icons, so there's that resource at least.

Robert Joe

Woah. This is awesome work. Both Elitecreature and I have been working on a Golden Sun Minecraft mod ourselves, but we have been on hiatus for a while. In that time frame, you have gotten a ton of stuff done.

The original mod that I made shared the same creative-centered idea as this one (Although, it was vastly inferior to your mod, needless to say), and I must say that I really like what I see.

While Elitecreature is currently extremely busy and unable to do anything modding-related, I have recently gotten back into the spin of things. If you need any assistance with the mod, I would be happy to help, although it does not look like you need any assistance by how well you are doing so far.

Majora

@Rolina
Sweet, feel free to send me a few copies, I'll see what I can do with those

@Robert Joe
Thank you, and absolutely, can always use help. Lots of things I don't know how to do.
Implementing the Djinn is pulling teeth, almost always get a compileJava error with every other minor behavior change, all trial and error with those guys. If you know how to configure mobs, could be wicked helpful.

Also have no idea how to create doors, which :VenusSet: opens up :VenusSet: a whole new realm texture-wise, have at least twenty-twenty five door textures just waiting to be implemented in some way. If you know how to implement doors, that would be great.

Have no idea when it comes to stair blocks either.

Would also like to expand into implementing custom block models at some point for some of the random decorative things you see in the games, such as the following:

I'm pretty solid with creating models and texturing them, but I have no idea how to go about adding custom block models to the game.
Could add things like Kraden's furnace up there, and the Tolbi dice game tables.

No clue how to make functional beds either, which is another necessity.
If you know how to make carpets, that would be cool as well.