News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Common Enligsh issues

Started by Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas, 05, January, 2018, 09:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

(Misspelling in title was an accident at first, but then when I noticed, decided I wanted to keep it for lulz. :D)

Section 1: Correct vs. potentially "incorrect"
Isaac = Issac/issac
English = english
Psynergy = synergy
Djinni (singular) / Djinn (plural) =
Adept(s) = adept(s)
I = i

Where I have bolded a capital letter above, means that it should always be capitalized. (As far as I know. - Edit:  Mainly when it applies to Golden Sun.)

Section 2: Formal vs. Informal
his or her = they (singular)

Section 3: Grammar
cannot/can't vs. can not = I'd personally accept both. But it may be worth being aware the distinction some might make. The former is for when something can't happen and the latter is when you CAN choose to not do it. (Etc.)

Whether to do s' or s's, I might ignore... I think that might be a controversial subject, based on what some teachers have taught. Best case, both could be correct depending on which English you use, but who knows? I myself still like s's for singularity , and maybe s' for plurals, though. ... but you can't go wrong with "of (noun to be possessive)", can you?
Anyway, a quick google = https://www.ef.edu/english-resources/english-grammar/forming-possessive/ = This shows you can do both.

This topic is here to document what people make common mistakes with in English. That it should preferably be limited to the forums, but could include other places too.
Mainly for entertainment purposes. But could also be informational.

So if you have any, do post them!
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Atrius (He/Him)

But djinn and djinni are common nouns since they refer to a type or class of thing instead of a specific individual thing.  If you were naming a specific djinni like Flint you would capitalize their name.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Oh yes, I had something mentioned in my post before, but then when I did some editing to clean things up... I must have removed it.

With Djinni/Djinn, I'm going by what I saw in-game. You will not find them lowercase ever... in the text data, correct? (Not even through actual sentences. And there are plenty of sentences.)

EXAMPLE:

QuoteDo you put Djinn on[3]standby before a battle,[3]or do you set them?[1]

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Rolina

I love the synergy typo example.  You can hear the writer mispronouncing the word as they type. XD

I know... That spelling screams SIN-nergy to me. ; S'pose to be PSY-nergy. XD

The energy of sin. Bad energy. No one should use it! It'll bring death to all.
Versus Psychic Energy. Very different.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Pkmn-Master

You know, I've always said "duh-jin" and "sinner-G" my whole life until Dark Dawn came out.

I knew it was wrong but it's how I first said it and the real way sounded wrong to me. (still prefer the energy of sin tbh)

Yeah,  think I use to call it sin-nergy way back when I first played.
But now, knowing the Psychic thing, it obviously feels incorrect to me now days.
I wonder if others would be interested in pronouncing Psychic as sick-chick. (Or similar.)

Can't remember how I pronounced Djinn (Could have been D-jen? D-john? No idea??), but now days, I treat the D as though it is silent. (So I pronounce Djinn as Jen, and Djinni as Jenny.)

I do know, I use to pronounce Herb as Harb, though. Hah! (In the beginning.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Majora

In the spirit of admitting mispronunciations and spelling issues, I grew up reading Psynergy as "piss-n-err-gee", and it still registers that way in my inner voice when I read it! Forget "sin energy", this is the energy you definitely do not want used on you...  :Sol:

Unless you have a dirty fetish. xD
Hopefully you don't, though.

Meanwhile, I'm adding "Adept" to this list. (For capitalization.... really we should get rid of capitalization rules xD and punctuation ones too)

GS1 uses the word Adept in the story a bunch of times.
And GS2 too... However, I just noticed a version of my Editor has a bug - The Search feature for text doesn't work as expected. (Only showing some of the results) ... I wasn't testing with the latest version of my editor, so I'll have to see if it is still problematic in that one/check out what's going on.
Chances are that it is still in the latest, because I don't remember doing any text editor work for quite a long time.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden