News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Won't Start.

Started by Salanewt, 04, June, 2009, 09:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salanewt

Hello, and thank you for taking your time to read about my problem, even if you can not help me.
When I try to load the editor, an error message immediately pops up saying "Unexpected error occured when running the game."

Some additional info I think is needed...
I can not even load a rom,
This error comes up right away,
The title/name of the error is the name of the program.

Thank you in advance,

By the way, I think I have everything that is needed in the ZIP file, but I can check.

By the way, I like Mercury...
:mercury:  :mercury:  :mercury:  :mercury:  :mercury:

This post has been edited by Salanewt on Jul 7 2009, 07:49 PM
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

That error could mean any number of things.  What are your computer's stats?
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Aile~♥

I have the exact same problem when I try to run it using WINE. The exact same error message. Do you need some fancy version of DirectX for it to work, or what?
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Salanewt

I apologize, but I am not sure by what you mean about the computer's stats.

However, as soon as my mom gets relocated for her work, then I should be getting a new computer.

:MercurySet:  :MercurySet:  :MercurySet:  :MercurySet:  :MercurySet:
I still like them.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Salanewt

Oh, I just thought of another quick question.

Do I need to use any other program to run it (other than the rom when it loads).

Thank you in advance.

I really like wind, yet I also like water.
And these...

weckar

Unzip, that's all I can say...

Salanewt

Oh, thank you for your suggestions, but I still can not figure out how to make it work on my computer. After the message that I recieved, instead of clicking on the 'x', I clicked on 'okay'. The computer then froze for a second before the message came up again, so I clicked okay again. The program closed down, almost like when I press 'x'.

By the way, I like each type, but I like Mercury still, you can consider any line with these a mini or sub-signature, hehe...
Thank you in advance if you can help, if not, then I might get a new computer either this week or the next, since my mom might be getting tansfered this week.

This post has been edited by Salanewt on Jun 7 2009, 07:52 PM

Atrius (He/Him)

What operating system are you running?
How fast is your processor?
How much memory is in your computer?
What kind of video card is in it?
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Aile~♥

Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Operating System: Mac OS 10.5.7 plus WINE.

Memory: 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

No really easy way to tell what video card is in it. I'm not sure Macs work that way.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Atrius (He/Him)

>_< Not everything for Windows works under WINE.

Salanewt

Thank you, but I am not sure about some things. I am using a PC, windows XP. I should still have 96 GB of memory out of 111. I am not sure about the video card, but I can not run nintendo 64 roms on this computer, so it is not the best. Not sure about the processor either, and I am not sure what version my PC is, but it is an older one. I would try to guess, but my last home had abnormal amounts of dust, so it has probably aged my rarely fast computer somewhat. The PC has a history of being slow, even before the dust had a chance to build up.

By the way, thank you for trying your best to help me, but I just called my mom's work, and the answering machine was much different, so I think I might be getting a new computer after mom is transfered.
This next bit is after the origional message: I just called some more relatives, and their answering machine is different than normal too, but it is different than the one at my mom's work as well, so I am not sure...

I really do like the others, but Mercury is still my favourite (then comes Jupiter).

P.S. I do not know what WINE is, and I do not think I am using it if that might contribute to the problem.

This post has been edited by Salanewt on Jun 8 2009, 03:09 PM

Rolina

You have windows, so no need for WINEin--*gets shot*

Anywho, you're in SERIOUS need of some upgrades on your compy.  You need a LOT more space on your HDD, 111 gigs goes by FAST, trust me.  You also need a better video card from the sound of it, and the ones that don't suck start at $200.  You also probably need more RAM.  You didn't list it, it's IMPORTANT AS HELL, and it's hard to get by without at least 4 gigs of ram nowadays.  If you can, get 8+ and you should be safe.  Finally, you may need to upgrade your processor, and if you can't, then you need to upgrade your motherboard so you can upgrade your processor...

...Actually, you need a new COMPUTER.  Buying a new one from scratch may actually be cheaper than the total cost of the parts you need.

Salanewt

Thanks Role. I agree with you that I need a new computer. In fact, I have been begging my mom to get me one for a while now. I am currently using my mom's computer, which is very good, but I can not always use it, and the Golden Sun program is on my computer. I have had the computer for a few years now, and it was given to me as a computer that was already several years old (at least a few years). If my mom gets transfered this week, then I might get a new computer next week.

I still like them... I wonder... Will they be in the next Golden Sun, or will they look different?

Atrius (He/Him)

Quote from: Role on 08, June, 2009, 04:16:00 PMAnywho, you're in SERIOUS need of some upgrades on your compy.  You need a LOT more space on your HDD, 111 gigs goes by FAST, trust me.  You also need a better video card from the sound of it, and the ones that don't suck start at $200.  You also probably need more RAM.  You didn't list it, it's IMPORTANT AS HELL, and it's hard to get by without at least 4 gigs of ram nowadays.  If you can, get 8+ and you should be safe.  Finally, you may need to upgrade your processor, and if you can't, then you need to upgrade your motherboard so you can upgrade your processor...
If you're building a gaming, or good multimedia computer Role, but the Editor actually requires a lot less than that.  If you NEED even 4 GB of RAM you're doing some crazy stuff on your computer with some programs that probably have bad memory leaks.  Heck 32-bit operating systems aren't even capable of using a full 4GB of memory.

The official text I can find on the error from my development tools documentation reads as follows:

Quote"Rarely you will see a popup with the text "Unexpected error occurred during the game" This error message indicate that some problem occurred in windows or in the hardware. Often the reason for this is infinite recursion, lack of memory or insufficient hardware, drivers or firmware. Generally speaking, these errors have to do with problems outside the gm-environment. ..."

If you can't run an N64 emulator on your computer, your graphics card is probably part of the problem.  Make sure you're at least running DirectX 8.0, and have D3D enabled.  Here's a topic where I tried to help someone else enable D3D.  If you can't even get dxdiag to run, you don't even have DirectX installed.

Also, right click on your My Computer icon, and select Properties, you'll find some of your computer's stats there.

Salanewt

Thank you, I will try that very soon, but I will wait for mother to come home.  

New Info: My computer is incredibly slow, moreso during AVG scans, but they are free. I am guessing as well that my computer might be around 6 or 7 years old, if not older. Before it was given to me, it was upgraded to XP, I think. I found some of this other info. It normally takes about 20 or more seconds to open up MSN home page when starting internet explorer.

Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Oh yeah, did you know that you can report yourself, and add yourself as a buddy?

This is all that I can find for now... I think.
I should be back by 2:50ish my time, so for viewers, it might be different than your time.

:MercurySet:  
I now have an avatar, this will be a temporary avatar that I will use before I finish making my own...

This post has been edited by Salanewt on Jun 9 2009, 07:11 AM

Rolina

Quote from: Atrius on 08, June, 2009, 05:44:00 PMIf you're building a gaming, or good multimedia computer Role, but the Editor actually requires a lot less than that.  If you NEED even 4 GB of RAM you're doing some crazy stuff on your computer with some programs that probably have bad memory leaks.  Heck 32-bit operating systems aren't even capable of using a full 4GB of memory.

The official text I can find on the error from my development tools documentation reads as follows:

If you can't run an N64 emulator on your computer, your graphics card is probably part of the problem.  Make sure you're at least running DirectX 8.0, and have D3D enabled.  Here's a topic where I tried to help someone else enable D3D.  If you can't even get dxdiag to run, you don't even have DirectX installed.

Also, right click on your My Computer icon, and select Properties, you'll find some of your computer's stats there.
Actually, I spoke in general terms.  If you want a gaming computer, double the specs I gave you.  The Sims 3 needs 8 gigs of ram to work well, for example.  That amount will only grow as programs and games become more complex.

However, multimedia downloads will KILL your harddrive.  They've got 1TB HDDs for under $100 now.  How can you NOT drool over that?

Now, I understand the Graphics Card issue.  I've got that.  However, that's also why I mentioned your motherboard.  If it lacks PCIe slots, you're screwed.  Not only can you not find a good gaming card, you can't find a good card PERIOD.  What's more, his compy was slow, so I suggested that it could be the processor.

But if you're gonna be replacing all that, you'll be better off just getting a new computer.  It doesn't necessarily need to be top of the line, but it does need to be able to last for for at least four to five years.

Atrius (He/Him)

Quote from: Role on 09, June, 2009, 02:51:00 AMActually, I spoke in general terms.  If you want a gaming computer, double the specs I gave you.  The Sims 3 needs 8 gigs of ram to work well, for example.  That amount will only grow as programs and games become more complex.

However, multimedia downloads will KILL your harddrive.  They've got 1TB HDDs for under $100 now.  How can you NOT drool over that?

Now, I understand the Graphics Card issue.  I've got that.  However, that's also why I mentioned your motherboard.  If it lacks PCIe slots, you're screwed.  Not only can you not find a good gaming card, you can't find a good card PERIOD.  What's more, his compy was slow, so I suggested that it could be the processor.

But if you're gonna be replacing all that, you'll be better off just getting a new computer.  It doesn't necessarily need to be top of the line, but it does need to be able to last for for at least four to five years.
*facepalm*

The Sims 3 does not need 8 GB of RAM to run properly, that's just ridiculous.  The game will run under XP which is a 32-bit operating system, and like I said, 32-bit operating systems can't even use a full 4 GB of RAM.  The recommended amount for the game is only 2 GB.

Rolina

Oh really?  Then apparently the chick at the front desk ain't too bright.  Not a fan of the game, so I never went to get it myself, but I could have sworn she said that the box listed 8 GB of ram as its "optimal" setting or something...

Salanewt

Oh, good news. My mom is getting transfered on Thursday, so I should be getting my computer next week. I might be very lucky and get it on the weekend, but I will not get my hopes up. Still, if anyone wants me to try to gather information for them, please ask me and I will try to help.

EDIT: Due to a very bad disease that I have contracted in the past year or two, I have downloaded the editor on my mom's computer, and that is where I will try it out. The disease is impatience, so it is not a serious disease, and it has a cure.

Have a nice day.
:MercurySet:

This post has been edited by Salanewt on Jun 15 2009, 11:47 AM