News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Dark Dawn Gameplay/plot discussion (SPOILERS!)

Started by Hoopa, 01, December, 2010, 09:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RTGreece21

no wonder why it wasnt hard to kill everything that stood in my path...

also, i JUST found out that there can sometimes be items under those flowers that fly when you hit them with wind. i stupideded. ffft.
"Optimistic about Pessimism."
"Want to see my good side? Hah heh heh... That was a trick question. All I have are good sides."[/color]

ChrisButton

Quote from: RTGreece21 on 02, January, 2011, 10:54:18 PM
i JUST found out that there can sometimes be items under those flowers that fly when you hit them with wind.
I only used wind on the flowers that were necessary to my adventure.
So, infact, I hadn't known about the until now. Good find!  :happy:

Awec

I knew about items being under the flowers for ages, because there was a seemingly pointless patch which I used Whirlwind on just to check, and found a nut I think. But unfortunately, it's never anything better than a nut and is really a complete waste of time.
On the other hand, there's practically a stat boosting item hidden in a pot or something in every city, and a lot of areas (which, considering the frequency of cities, means a heck of a lot of stat boosting items...)
I. Am. A. Spoon.
Yes, a spoon that is awesome that is a Jupiter adept that is one of the Anemos that lives on the freaking moon.
What of it?

Charon

Yeah, the number of stat boosting items is just ridiculous. Feels like I went through twice as many as I did in the first two games...

Salanewt

Definitely too many. It would make sense if we had access to every continent, but the game was too short to require that many.

As for the amount of dialogue, did anyone else notice that every party member has to say something in almost every cutscene? Characters almost always say something just for the sake of saying it. More often than not, each person must say something before another character can continue. In the first two, not everyone had to say something during cutscene. Instead of being: Garet, Kraden, Jenna, Kraden, Jenna, Ivan, Jenna, Mia, it ends up being Karis, Tyrell, Rief, Sveta, Amiti, Eoleo, Himi, Kairs, Tyrell, Sveta, Amiti, Rief... (and we can tell that Eoleo and Himi definitely have nothing important to say at times, whereas the other characters can easily pretend to care).

A good example of this would include the entrance of Arcanus, Chalis, and Blados on top of Apollo Sanctum. Notice how each character says something one by one before the NPCs continue?

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Aile~♥

That's actually an IMPROVEMENT over the previous games. Kraden had FAR too much to say in GS2, and Mia, Piers, and Ivan too little.

Himi rarely says anything interesting, but Eoleo is funny. Whatever he says is usually hilarious. When Arcanus appears at the end of the game, everyone else is like "What is he doing here?", "Arcanus!", "Go die somewhere quietly", and "This is not possible". Eoleo says "What? Who?". But Mathew kinda owns them all by swearing.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Salanewt

Depending on when it is used. It would be nice if they could mix it up a bit, instead of giving them all a designated order in which to say their lines.

You are right though, Matthew's censored word was very hilarious.

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

RTGreece21

back in the other games, id use all the stat boosters on my fav character. this time, i thought "hold on a sec, isnt this a bit much?" and im now using some on other characters as well because theres just too many. that many boosters would be okay of the enemies were crazy strong and you needed to train just to be able to travel halfway to the next city, but the crazy amount of them isnt needed in Dark Dawn. its too easy with or without them, and you can easily reach level 12 just by fighting the wooden and cardboard dragons at the training grounds.
"Optimistic about Pessimism."
"Want to see my good side? Hah heh heh... That was a trick question. All I have are good sides."[/color]

zman9000

wow i am at level 47 and i can't beat the final boss ( so is the curse i have told many of you i have ) but i have beat every other boss except the final boss.

DOES ANY ONE FIND THAT WEIRD?

this happens to me with almost every game i have ever got!
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Griever

It is weird ... since i won at level 42 >< and now I'm at my second play-through planning to find everything and finish all optional bosses and quests.

And i like Matthew's swearing XD he owned them all -.-

zman9000

sorry but this post has hate for GS DD in it and i don't want hate mail so read it if you want.
[spoiler]well i just beat the final boss at level 49 (wtf) in 2 turns (WTF!!!!!).

ALSO wtf!!! the ending and wtf, the questions left unanswered and WT freaking F, is with Camalot!!!!!!

I know i will get so much hate for this (because of this site but) THIS GOLDEN SUN GAME TOTALLY @#$%&*! SUCKS!!! (compared to the others)

I diss-like the game because:
#1. bad story line.
#2. Bad Character choice and personality.
#3. bad level/story design (Most of the time it is unclear what to do)
#4. so many questions left unanswered (and some will never be answered (like wtf are the beast men a          .                                                   different color at the end????))
#5. to many people die with in an hour of game play.
#6. wtf is with the psyenergy changes (names and how you can learn them)
#7. How could they put such a strong cliff hanger!!!

#8. WHY IS THE FINAL BOSS NOT A DRAGON (DRAGONS ARE BAD @#$ (AND YOU CAN'T BEAT BAD @#$)
[/spoiler]

but really this game need more dragons (ooo they need a party member that is part dragon!)

DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS
WE NEEDZ MORE OF THEMZ!!!!
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Frog

I seriously doubt you beat it in 2 turns... that sounds impossible!!
Also it left unanswered questions to make room for a possible sequel.

Dragons are freaking awesome, but ANOTHER dragon bossfight? I think ending every game with a dragon gets a bit lame...
And I thought one of the biggest cons in the game was that it was too obvious what to do most of the time...
Not on too often, but I'm still here!

Griever

Quotesorry but this post has hate for GS DD in it and i don't want hate mail so read it if you want.
Well you won't get hate mails but you will probably be punished for this XD.

I have to say ... i don't believe you when you say you beat the final boss in 2 turn .... that's a LIE (sorry for saying that). Or you meant he beat you in 2 turns ><
Oh and i strongly disagree with you, it has nice story line, characters are well done (yes they have there flaws) but i actually like most of them ... save for two (Himi and Amiti). And like Frog said .... unanswered questions make a room for a sequel .... which i am sure that everyone here wants.

Just because the first two games had dragons as final bosses it does not mean that's a MUST ...... I actually think that his final boss .... fits in really well ..... I mean he got the silent main character to talk !!!!!!!!! well swear but still that is something ><.

Quotewtf is with the psyenergy changes
As far as i remember ... only two where changed .... Frost series and Nova series, i don't really care about frost the new name is ok with me, and changing Nova was a wise decision .... i mean the first two games had two psynergies by the name of Blast ... the rest of the psynergy line is different but this change was necessary (that's what i think anyway).

Salanewt

In my opinion, a dragon is not needed as much as some type of fusion between two or more people (which even then isn't necessary). As for killing the final boss in two turns, it is possible if you just summon rush him (because I did it in like 2-3 turns when I tried it).

QuoteAnd I thought one of the biggest cons in the game was that it was too obvious what to do most of the time...

Insight only made it worse. That, and I only needed the Umbra map for one piece of the gear. I managed to locate three of them before figuring out how to rescue the two kids from the outpost. Oh yeah...

Loophole anyone? Rescue the kids before going to Tonfon for the first time, and the emperor knows you. Leave and re-enter, and then he meets you for the first time (if I recall correctly).

Have a nice day.

Frog

Ugh I completely forgot about insight... as far as pointlessly cheap psynergy goes it takes the cake.
What ever happened to using your brain a little and trying out different psynergy in a dungeon, it's not like the puzzles were ever that hard... and every use of insight seemed pretty much pointless.

I actually found all the umbra gear locations without the map... though I died trying to get one, and ended up getting the map while looking for new equipment before heading out again.
Not on too often, but I'm still here!

Charon

Insight didn't help much really because most of the time it would point out the obvious. >_o

AudreySophie

zman9000 , said he suck, I was level 50 when I fought the last boss, I had a panic attack vs the semi-last boss, and I lost on the last boss, I just came back and was lv 57 and I destroyed everything.

Man, You really don't need to grind in this game.

zman9000

OK it took me 13 hours to find out what to do after i got the umbra gear.
and don't get me started on how long it took me to find the umbra map!

also what i meant i beat the final boss was:

turn 1: i use crystal dragon (x2), judgement, meteor. my party was wiped out (also the boss did not use any defense moves.)

turn 2: (party switch) i use crystal dragon (x2), judgement, meteor. my party was left with 2 members and boss is dead. (also the boss did not use any defense moves.)

and the levels for my party members are (47 for party 2) and (48 for party 1).

Salanewt

I feel like I should state my opinion on some of the things that you said. I understand that they are a part of your opinion, but I might as well add some things.

Quote#1. bad story line.
#2. Bad Character choice and personality.
#3. bad level/story design (Most of the time it is unclear what to do)
#4. so many questions left unanswered (and some will never be answered (like wtf are the beast men a different color at the end????))
#5. to many people die with in an hour of game play.
#6. wtf is with the psyenergy changes (names and how you can learn them)

1. It depends on how you look at it. Personally, I am not a big fan of "we have to stop this, but we need to focus on something else first" events. They can be interesting, but it could also have been executed differently.
2. I kind of like some of them. Besides, character development was not advanced in the first two games, but they overdid it in this one. That, and we ended up with stereotypical characters, like Amiti and Himi.
3. I loved the level designs and liked most of the story. However, I found the game too easy and obvious most of the time (and for the one or two harder parts, I had access to Insight to make it even easier).
4. New sequel hopefully. As for the Beastmen, that is because they mostly became Light Adepts (the light from Apollo Sanctum was concentrated in Belinsk, imbuing its citizens with Light). Personally, I think that Alex met the secretive Umbra Clan when he was buried with Mt. Aleph at the end of The Lost Age.
5. I agree with this one actually, though a few deaths would have been okay. Personally, I hated Kaocho and Champa because of all of the mostly useless corpses just strewn about in random places. "I wanted to come back for my things by myself, because I need to prove that I have insurance!"
6. There aren't many that I noticed. The Frost line still exists, it is just that you do not have access to it anymore. I kind of miss Frost, but I am guessing that Rief's sister knows it.

Have a nice day.

Aile~♥

Himi is amazing. Revive with no Djinn FTW! If it weren't for that and Sveta's Pack Defence, I would've died SO much earlier. (BTW, I'm in the middle of a battle against Dullahan.)

Yeah, basically I started a battle against Dullahan at about 12:00 at night, and ended up pausing the game at 3:00 AM to go to sleep. I still haven't finished that battle.

So far, I've used 6 waters of life, countless Revive spells, and have spammed Chasm and Bark for all they're worth. Except when I have Sveta go Beastform for Pack Defence. Everyone manages to be useful. Even Tyrell, because he has some revival Djinn.

Yeah, I'm attempting a non-summon-rushbattle against Dullahan. At level 50.

Sveta must have died more times than anyone except maybe Karis. And most of those times were while she was in Beast Form. So, you may be asking, how does Sveta manage to get killed in Beast Form? Easy: Condemn and Charon. Instant Death is WAY cheap against Sveta.

Also, for those of you complaining that Psynergy is useless in Dark Dawn, two words: Mountain Roc. Oh, and another word: Dullahan.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]