News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Skipable parts of the game with basic hacking.

Started by Atrius, 23, October, 2008, 02:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atrius (He/Him)

[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

weckar

Yes I have. The ones I am not sure about were ones I thought of as possibilites later. Most of it was achieved by letting early weapons and armour bestow utility psynergies. Since this negates the need for the grindstone, the eastern sea, shaman village and most of the rocks are out.

Only later I realised I could have a monster drop the magma ball as loot, eliminating magma rock completely. The reason I did JL anyway was because I wanted to try some stuff with the secondary party, but going over it, I wouldn't have had to.

Atrius (He/Him)

Cool, you could beat the game without Isaac's party ever joining yours.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

weckar

They will appear in cutscenes though. In GS1 the Kolima scenario was handled both with and without Mia, but even fixing Briggs' boat without Piers will bring him along for the cutscene.

EDIT: Only reason any of Gondowan is mandatory, is because you need Piers to get his boat.

weckar

Basic hacking in this case: altering enemies and items, what we can do now using the program.

-Kandorean Temple
-Shrine of the Sea God
-Most of Dehkan Plateau
-Most of Yampi Desert
-Air's Rock (YAY)
-Most of Kibombo Mountains
-Practically the entire Eastern Sea
-All of Hesperia and Atteka (not sure about Atteka, can't remember if you  need the wings to reach prox)
-(I'm pretty sure) Magma Rock
-Most of Mars Lighthouse

Yes you can finish the game without ever entering Jupiter Lighthouse

MaxiPower

with the walk through walls code + world map code. i had the Lemurian ship and on the open sea before i even got Piers however the game crashes when you get a battle on the boat without Piers.

using the same code i went straight to Prox lol.

Atrius (He/Him)

That's weird...  I used a save file after I already had the boat, and hacked Piers out of my party without it crashing like that.

MaxiPower

hmm strange, i dont know for sure but on maybe three separate occasions it happened.

2 of them it it froze on first contact but the other crashed after a battle so maybe it was the enemy that set it of or just unlucky.

this isn't important however if you can do it without problems  

Rolina

I just thought of something...

You can skip when Isaac and them join, right?

So what happens if you get all the djinn that would have gone to isaac's team?  That's what, 2 extra djinn for Felix's crew for each party member?

What all can you pull off with that?

Edit:  Wait, if you don't enter a password, that's THREE.

MaxiPower

Quote from: Role on 10, December, 2008, 01:41:00 AMI just thought of something...

You can skip when Isaac and them join, right?

So what happens if you get all the djinn that would have gone to isaac's team?  That's what, 2 extra djinn for Felix's crew for each party member?

What all can you pull off with that?

Edit:  Wait, if you don't enter a password, that's THREE.
hmm it would problary just reset to the normal set of djinn

however any volunteers for putting in that nasty password... ohhh the nightmares of that dreaded gold password haunts me. espcically if you make a mistake

Rolina

Nonono, I mean, SKIP getting the team.  Instead, DO NOT ENTER the password.  That way, you have the extra djinn popping up that wouldn't be there after the password (if you got them all in GS1).  Then...

Using Felix's party...

Get all the Djinn you'd have normally gotten AFTER Isaac's party joins.  Only, they're not there to join you.  And as such... You get the djinn they'd have gotten.  Basically, you'd do the same thing you did, putting utility psys on simple items.  Then just get as many djinn as possible, WITHOUT getting Isaac's group.

I don't think it'd reset the amount, but rather, you may be able to pull of djinn combos that you'd not normally be able to do (Piers as Ronin, perhaps?).  I wanna know if it'd work though, or if the game would freeze up or something.

Atrius (He/Him)

Since I had a little free time, I did a little testing.

The Djinn menu outside of battle only handles up to 10 Djinn on a person properly.  If you have any more than that the list can become glitchy, and even lock up when you try to exit it.

The in-battle menu for Djinn has no problems at all handling any number of Djinn.  I even hacked ALL of the Djinn in the game (That's 80 total including the 2 dummy Djinn for each element) on to Felix, and the only problem was some minor glitching with the page numbering at the top of the panel.

I had some problems with it thinking Djinn were recovering (Like they are after you use them to summon) when they weren't, but I'm not sure if it was just a glitch or because I altered the Djinn data in memory incorrectly.

Rolina

Ah, that answers my question.  I was wondering if the game could handle it.

MaxiPower

ahh yes. i do remember getting all the djinn using an Action Replay device.. if i recall correctly the djinn menu like Atrius was screwed but they worked perfect ingame

weckar

Well, good to know. I will probably make a quick game playthrough featuring this, even  

Salanewt

QuoteBasic hacking in this case: altering enemies and items, what we can do now using the program.

-Kandorean Temple
-Shrine of the Sea God
-Most of Dehkan Plateau
-Most of Yampi Desert
-Air's Rock (YAY)
-Most of Kibombo Mountains
-Practically the entire Eastern Sea
-All of Hesperia and Atteka (not sure about Atteka, can't remember if you need the wings to reach prox)
-(I'm pretty sure) Magma Rock
-Most of Mars Lighthouse

Yes you can finish the game without ever entering Jupiter Lighthouse

I noticed something else that might work. You could probably go to the boss in the desert (I forget the name, but it gives you another summon) closer to the beginning of the game if you give a weapon teleport. You could probably make it to the Star Magician as well without going through most of his dungeon with grind and lift, if memory serves me correctly.

:MercurySet:  

This post has been edited by Salanewt on Jun 9 2009, 04:40 PM
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

Teleport can only take you to a place you've been already.

Salanewt

QuoteTeleport can only take you to a place you've been already.

True, unless you are in an area, and there is a teleport circle. The circle that takes you to the top of Mars Lighthouse for example. The boss in the desert has a circle near the entrance. Sentinel's dungeon also has a teleport circle.

:MercurySet:  

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

But you're stuck in the area.  So you're not really skipping anything, you're just accessing superbosses sooner.

Salanewt

QuoteBut you're stuck in the area. So you're not really skipping anything, you're just accessing superbosses sooner.

True enough. However, you are cutting the time that is required to get to them, as you pretty much stated yourself.