News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

More space for characters, items, etc.

Started by Crystal Sonata, 21, January, 2011, 10:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crystal Sonata

Hey can someone take my hack and edit the hex or something to where i can add more items, etc. i have already resized the rom to 8.5 Mb for some extra space so take that and fill it with empty items slots and stuff. Patch is attached below.
Anything I post here is solely my opinion, and is not proven fact, unless I specify otherwise.

If I say anything that offends you, grow a set.

Atrius (He/Him)

Thats... Not really how it works.  You can't just stick extra slots for things wherever you want, you'd have to move around the existing data so there's room immediately after the existing slots.  Even then there's nowhere in the game data that can tell the editor exactly how many slots exist, so it always assumes the default amount.  Additionally, there are some things it's just not feasible to increase the amount of, like party members, and Djinni.  The game itself just isn't coded to handle any more, and reprogramming it to would be a monumental task.

Erm... As for resizing the ROM, was that because you needed room for manually adding things?  The editor should automatically expand the ROM if it needs more room, if not something isn't working right.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

If you're complaining about lack of inventory space, that's why a lot of us are making the psynergy tools sellable.  If we can just sell and buy them back when needed, it'll clear up a lot of space, and there won't be a need for larger inventories.

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

I made them consumable. The character who you want to learn the psy equips it first, and them you just select use. I even made a video of it.

Just change Psynergy items from 'fan' to 'items'.

Crystal Sonata

-.- ok.....so is there ANY way to add more item slots in the editor? (Atrius, i resized it because i didnt realize the editor did it, and the editor said i only had like 10k left so i resized it myself)
Anything I post here is solely my opinion, and is not proven fact, unless I specify otherwise.

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

No, I don't think you can make more inventory slots.
It seems impossible to do so.

Atrius (He/Him)

Inventory slots, definitely no, I don't think that's even what you're asking about, but they're limited by the save game format, and many other factors.  I don't see it ever being possible to increase it easily.

As for the complete list of items, not currently, no.  Since data will have to be moved around to make more space for new slots it may be a while, but the theoretical limit for the total number of items possible is 512.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Crystal Sonata

Ok >.< let me know if this is ever solved because if i keep this up ill run out of space.

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Then why don't ya sotp makin' new items, and edit existing instead?

Crystal Sonata

Uhh yea i know i have already thought about that. I have estimated that i will run out of space after 6 months.

Edit: hey dark, i get the feeling you play Xbox.....You should add me....my gamertag is KanashimiKun

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Sorry momo, my xbox RROD'd, I don't have and xbox anymore, apart from my original xbox and I don't use that for online play.

Crystal Sonata

Aww...so i dont have a new Halo reach partner T-T

Rolina

Quote from: momiji14 on 22, January, 2011, 06:31:47 PM
Ok >.< let me know if this is ever solved because if i keep this up ill run out of space.
Wait, you mean more room for items, abilities, and classes within the game itself, not actually giving the character more inventory?

This is something I'd like to know too.  Could we possibly expand the memory to add new slots?  I wouldn't mind adding a few more item classes, but we'd need the room to actually add them.  As it is now, a class tree for two teams, with three classic-style item classes, and one space between each line to separate them so it's readable fills up the whole thing.  Unless we can add an aesthetic space in the editor's interface so as to group the classes in an uncluttered fashion, there's really not much room there.  As for items and abilities, I don't know how far I can get before running out of room yet, but with as many ideas as I've had, I'd not be surprised if there's a lack of room to program them, so having an option to expand it would be nice.  There'd need to be a limit, of course, nothing that'll exceed the max amount of space allowed for VBA file.  But it'd be nice to expand on it nonetheless...

I know this would probably be an EFoC, so it'd probably one one of the last additions to the editor.  But it'd be nice to have a way to patch the game to add space to various fields.  The editor patches would probably be something like:  "Expand Item Selection", "Expand Ability Selection", "Expand Sprite Selection", and "Expand Class Selection".  It'd add various amounts of space to said fields, depending on how many were selected at once, and patch the game accordingly.

Atrius (He/Him)

You'll probably hit the limit for what the game's programming will allow before the ROM hits 32MB (The maximum allowable for a GBA game).  For example, it's just not possible to store an item with an index of 512 or greater in the player's inventory.

Rolina

Oh, then there is room for expansion then.  Very good.  So basically, up to 511 possible items, with the 0 dummy there since it pretty much has to be there.

I'm guessing the limit on classes is 255?

For abilities and sprites would be 767?

Also, I've got an idea for the next update.  Since it'd save space, it's ideal to use every single data value.  Problem is, since it'll run together, it's hard to reed.  Basically, my idea is to have the editor load an optional second file for separators to allow for easier viewing.  Basically, instead of class groups being separated by a single ?, such as in the screen shots in my templates, it would simply be a blank space the same size that the editor can insert.  It'd not actually be a data value, so it'd not be stored in the code itself - thus the optional secondary file.  Do you think it'd be possible?

Crystal Sonata

Yes!!! Role actually got what i was saying!!! I didnt want more inventory space i wanted more item slots in the actually items!! Role gets a respect and a coin!!!

Rolina

Actually, I got you wrong at first, eh heh.  Only later did I realize what you were trying to say.  But I do think it'll take quite an epic feat of coding to pull off.  Instead, try now doing a different approach:

Start with organization.  Sort things properly, separate different categories by no more than one empty item, rather than several, etc..

A little organization can go a long way.  Start there.

Crystal Sonata