News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Voice Acting Rom Hack Experiment

Started by Atrius, 16, March, 2009, 12:11:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atrius (He/Him)

I figured it'd be better if I went ahead and revealed this before I left, even though it's not completely done.  I won't be able to respond to your comments since I'll be away, but I'll definitely read them when I am able to.

GoldenSun_StormVoiceActing.ips - (.ips patch file, 2.43 MB)

In order to use a .ips patch you need a patching tool such as Lunar IPS, and the original version of the ROM to patch.  In this case you'll need a file of the original Golden Sun game, but don't ask where to get it, we can't tell you anyway.

Known problems
- Several characters aren't voice acted included Dora, and many minor characters
- Kyle is missing one line

Things you might complain about that I did on purpose
- Volume of everything in the game reduced by 1/3 so voice acting can be heard more clearly
- The usual speech sounds are completely disabled during the beginning of the game since they're kinda pointless when the dialogue is voice acted.
- Character naming menus have been disabled so that the text & voice acting always match.

Cast
Kyle - Ventus
Garet - Magmabear (Creator of Golden Sun: The Abridged Series)
Felix/Jenna's Dad - XSlicer
Jenna - Rena
Mayor - Mitxela
Menardi - Charon (Creator of Pokemon: Jupiter Version)
Muscular Man 3 - Veritate
Old Woman - Charon
Saturos - Cena
Young Woman - Rena (Yup, I decided to use your audition line for her)

All of the technical stuff including programming, and audio editing was done by me, Atrius (Creator of Golden Sun: The Lost Age Editor)

This post has been edited by Atrius on Mar 16 2009, 12:58 AM
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Charon

You have permission to whack me XD

But I do have the other lines done finally and they are in the Upload thread in the Admin Section (other users can't check this section)

twocows

I think VBA has support for automatic IPS patching built in. Just rename the .ips file's base to match the ROM you're patching, and then open the ROM.

weckar

wow, when did progress like this happen

I knew I shouldn't have taken that hiatus to tilemap the southern pokemon hemisphere...

Isaac

Mion Sonozaki

WOAH

I thought the video was dubbed. I didn't know this was actually ingame...
I have to try this one day with my own hack. I would honestly help, but I don't think I can since my mic is broken. That said, I'm trained in the art of acting and I'm a drama student. So Voice Acting would be a niche of mine once I get a good mic.

Charon

You know, since they are audio files, if you know to script the sounds into the game, then you can have any GBA game have voice acting by simply adding the sound.