News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

zman9000's Anime/Manga project. (Ideas welcome)

Started by zman9000, 11, February, 2011, 12:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zman9000

well most of the stuff i have not posted is fixed.

And if you mean the powers... the only power I realy need to explain is the healing power. And I am reserching that now.

Also I tend to over think things and some times come up with weird conclousions... but for the story I am having the trouble finding a way to explain the real stuff in the story because how complacated it is. (And yes I know I spelled this word wrong ^)................

Well its 1AM so I guess I will post most of the story I have completed...
Edit: well I lied I have decided ([{"on my own..."}]) to just post the history here...
so here you go...

(This is the history for this world. "This is not final, dates and years will change "some" once I finnish my research, thanks...")
[spoiler]In the future, the universe will need heroes. The year is 30,129 AD, and the universe is in its most peaceful period ever. But the why then does this universe need heroes? It's because not everything is as it seems. In this age there is what you could call a "completely corrupt government". This government oversees around 39,600,000,000,000 human beings, but the people are unaware of this fact. And every 2 ½ years around 10 billion of them are killed. Now you may think to yourself, "that's not so bad considering how many people there are and over a period of 2 1/2 years, that sounds like a very low death rate to me". Well, what if I told you that those deaths every 2 ½ years happened all at once. That they were completely wiped out and were held captive their whole life. And what if I said that those 39,600,000,000,000 still think it's before the year 3000. But to understand how things could get this bad you would have to look back in time to the real year 2012.
The Mayans predicted that the world would end on December 21, 2012 at 11:56am. But nothing happened on that day. In fact, the biggest thing to happen that year was before that date. It was a "CME",

Also known as a "Coronal Mass Ejection" (EXPLAIN WHAT A "CME" IS).  Movies had said if one were to hit the earth dead, it would wipe out all life on earth, but that's not what happened. It had hit earth but nothing happened. It was a "CME" unlike any other because, It didn't even knock out any electricity anywhere on earth. But the earth was not left completely unchanged. Over many years humans slowly got stronger. In the year 2012, the maximum weight a human could lift due to muscle size and bone strength was 2000 pounds, but by the year 2950 human strength increased to lift over 2500 pounds. That was not the only change, over the years children were born with strange colored hair. Some kids would be born with pink or blue hair, but that would soon fade to a normal color. In the year 2999 on New Year's Eve there was an act of terrorism that changed the world forever. The terrorists exploded an experimental radiation bomb over Japan. But it was a failed attack and no one died. But people from Japan to Africa gained powers, ones that a normal person would call super powers. In a way this brought the world together and split it in two all at once.

The powers were many, and those with them started to think they were better than those without. One side of the planet was very strong and ready for war and the other was helpless. In 3012 someone on the powerless side came up with a power balance that would keep the world together.

They would take kids and young teens that were in accidents that had lost limbs and had other problems, and replace them with robotic limbs. These kids would be given training and they would become the army for the powerless side. War would have erupted, if not for one teen who had both -super powers and robotic arms. He became a hero to both sides, and with both sides able to stand up to each other, things settled down.

By the year 3116 every one had powers and the kids with robotic limbs had ether all died from old age or fighting. Also the powers had changed form, kids under the age of ten can't use powers. With this the number of violent young teens went down to almost zero. And the world now united under one nation, found peace. Jump to the year 3320, earth has now colonized two planets other than earth, and are planning to go to a third. In the year 3329, they travel to this third planet and find intelligent life there. They are surprised to find that the inhabitants aren't as far advanced as Earth, and are weaker than we were when we didn't have powers. The human government then tried to take control of their race to lead them. One by one more aliens where found, and each were less advance then hour own.

The year now 3475, we now have ships as fast and big as those captured by U.S. government in the 20s, and those seen by the public. All the ships they found were damaged beyond repair and had little salvaged from them. And with us now having searched almost the whole galaxy we began to wonder if we would ever find them. That's when something unexpected happened, deep in an unexplored part of the Milky Way on the other side of the galaxy we scanned an explosion. But this explosion was bigger than any super nova, and it came from a planet. After a year a human exploration group reached the location. What they found was destroyed planets and ships but no sign of life. It seems that the aliens that have visited us in the past had wiped themselves out in war.

By the year 4500 the powers of the human race had become more defined from each other. And their hair would turn a certain color depending on which power they possessed. And within the powers there were three groups. "Normal", which would have powers that changed the person's strength speed and reflexes, were the most common. Next, there were the "controllers." They could control matter, move water and wind, and make plants grow to their will. Lastly, there were the "creators" who could create and control. They could make fire, electricity, and energy. They were the rarest and most powerful.  There were many powers, and many more to come, but not much more changed with them from then on.

Now the year 5650, tension between aliens and humans had grown to the boiling point, and war is just around the corner. There are more aliens then humans, and they have the same technology at the starting date of the war of 5652. But in just 6 years almost all the aliens have been wiped out with very few causalities on the human side. And with this defeat human kind now ruled the galaxy.

By 5732 human kind had almost completely figured out the universe and how it worked. It would impossible to travel to another galaxy's in one's life time which meant that there wasn't anything left to explore, no discoveries, and nothing new to look forward to. The human race became restless and with their power and differences of opinion a war broke out.

The rich and powerful "creators" and "controllers" have always looked down on the "normals". And a man who would be called by the name "Double Threat" would lead the "normal" against the others for control. The sheer number of "normals" overwhelmed the opposing force and pushed the "creators" and "controllers" into hiding. This war would be called "the real war to end all wars" because it lasted from 5739 to 9427, and is the longest battle ever fought.

One thing that made it last so long was a new power discovered. It was the healing power, which the "Double Threat" used to make himself live forever. He and only he could do this because his power let him copy any persons power and then use it against him. But he could hold onto one power at a time. So when he wasn't fighting he would copy the power of one of the healers on his side. The way he got his name was his power caused his hair turn two colors at the same time, which had never happened before.

On the last day of the war and the last day of the "Double Threats" reign, a 16 year old boy stepped forward to fight him. This boy would be called the "crystal angel" because his hair looked like crystals. And he had a special power rivaled by no one. He had complete and utter control of all light in the universe. Most with power have control over a limited amount of matter and have a limited range. Within one minute the war was over. The boy used his power to kill every member of "Double Threat's" army and "Double Threat" all at once. But sadly, "Crystal Angel" died from the shock his power put on his brain.

Dew to the war, many planets were destroyed and the original earth was as un livable as the surface of the sun. The total population of humanity was around 600,000 and was battered and beaten. Hope for the human race was all but lost and humanity had all but wiped themselves out. They could rebuild and start over but the same thing would just happen again. But then someone found a solution while looking at the history of humanity. It seems that the down fall of the human race started on new year's 2999, because that's when the problems started. And looking back to the 20s they found some interesting science theories one of which is called the "Dyson Sphere". First they created 6600 "Dyson spheres" around 6600 stars. Next they used the resources from inhabitable planets and ones destroyed in the war to make an exact replica of earth at the year 1AD in each sphere, They then came up with a government that would look after humanity from behind the scenes. The system they place in the "Dyson sphere" is called an "Atomic Solar Dematerializing System" or "ASDM" for short.

The first system activated on New Year's 10000, and was populated with 500,000 people. They were given fake memories to play out their roles. This way history will repeat itself, but to make sure things go as planned, "life time actors" will act out people in people mentioned in history. Once the year reaches 3000 the "Dyson sphere" will activate and change it back to 1AD. But in the year 3000 there around 10,000,000,000 people and at the year 1 there are around 500,000, which means many people will die in the process.

But because the creators felt bad about the many deaths on their hands, they decided that if the population of a planet finds out what's going on without any outside help, they would be set free. And only if they could find this out would they be trusted with their own lives and that they wouldn't start another war.

And with that, it brings us back to the year 30129AD.  It has been 20129 years since the start of "ASDM" project and so far only 7 of the 6600 earths have been set free. The last to free themselves became free 10000 years ago. And it seems that the government doesn't want any more to become free because the problems they have caused. And because of this billions die every year without a chance to free themselves. The plan may not have been morally right in the first place and most involved don't think so ether but everyone feels there is no other way to preserve the human race. Humans have come to fear the past that they can't move on.
As well as all the deception by the government, they also put something in the water that blocks powers. They do this because it did not happen before the date 3000 and the fact they fear another "Double Threat" will be born. One problem is that those born with the healing power are immune to the power blocker and are killed when found out. Because their power can heal others to the point where their powers awaken.

Fear of history has caused the death of trillions of lives over the past 20000 years. But like the past, another hero will come and will lead the human race to peace. And maybe this time it will last.

[/spoiler]
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Rolina

I give up, he's just not listening.  If he thinks the only thing that needs explanation is the healing thing, which is probably the easiest to pull off, then I'm out.  I doubt you'll ever get this off the ground, zman, not with a mindset of "I understand it in my mind, that should be good enough".

zman9000

Ok role i get what your saying...
(And for the sake of progress)
You are right and I am wrong... now what needs work??? (I know it all needs work but, what doesen't make sence and needs to be explained to understand the main plot in your mind!?!?!?!?!?!?)

If there is something wrong with it let me know guys.
I just thought this was a good outline for the plot. (for When it comes time to revel its self....)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also i changed some thing.
The part where the government fears war is their reason for what they do.

But the actualy fear humans becoming omnipotent and the damege some one with evil motives could dew to the universe.
Rember that the "Triple Threat" power can copy any and all powers.
The powers can control space and matter. Plus make someone live forever.

The Triple Threat Could be called the second to last step to Human eveloution.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And if some one also dosen't like this idea then tell me why.
I value your comments......

Edit: (WOW I sound like I have no hope... lolz)
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Rolina

We just told you, you can't make these crazy abilities and not explain them to the audience.  How they came to be, the general gist of how they work, etc.  If you just put them out there with no explanation, then it makes no sense.  Hell, even Gurren Lagaan explained it!  And it ran off of rule of cool!

zman9000

Quote[spoiler]In the future, the universe will need heroes. The year is 30,129 AD, and the universe is in its most peaceful period ever. But the why then does this universe need heroes? It's because not everything is as it seems. In this age there is what you could call a "completely corrupt government". This government oversees around 39,600,000,000,000 human beings, but the people are unaware of this fact. And every 2 ½ years around 10 billion of them are killed. Now you may think to yourself, "that's not so bad considering how many people there are and over a period of 2 1/2 years, that sounds like a very low death rate to me". Well, what if I told you that those deaths every 2 ½ years happened all at once. That they were completely wiped out and were held captive their whole life. And what if I said that those 39,600,000,000,000 still think it's before the year 3000. But to understand how things could get this bad you would have to look back in time to the real year 2012.
The Mayans predicted that the world would end on December 21, 2012 at 11:56am. But nothing happened on that day. In fact, the biggest thing to happen that year was before that date. It was a "CME",

Also known as a "Coronal Mass Ejection" (EXPLAIN WHAT A "CME" IS).  Movies had said if one were to hit the earth dead, it would wipe out all life on earth, but that's not what happened. It had hit earth but nothing happened. It was a "CME" unlike any other because, It didn't even knock out any electricity anywhere on earth. But the earth was not left completely unchanged. Over many years humans slowly got stronger. In the year 2012, the maximum weight a human could lift due to muscle size and bone strength was 2000 pounds, but by the year 2950 human strength increased to lift over 2500 pounds. That was not the only change, over the years children were born with strange colored hair. Some kids would be born with pink or blue hair, but that would soon fade to a normal color. In the year 2999 on New Year's Eve there was an act of terrorism that changed the world forever. The terrorists exploded an experimental radiation bomb over Japan. But it was a failed attack and no one died. But people from Japan to Africa gained powers, ones that a normal person would call super powers. In a way this brought the world together and split it in two all at once.

The powers were many, and those with them started to think they were better than those without. One side of the planet was very strong and ready for war and the other was helpless. In 3012 someone on the powerless side came up with a power balance that would keep the world together.

They would take kids and young teens that were in accidents that had lost limbs and had other problems, and replace them with robotic limbs. These kids would be given training and they would become the army for the powerless side. War would have erupted, if not for one teen who had both -super powers and robotic arms. He became a hero to both sides, and with both sides able to stand up to each other, things settled down.

By the year 3116 every one had powers and the kids with robotic limbs had ether all died from old age or fighting. Also the powers had changed form, kids under the age of ten can't use powers. With this the number of violent young teens went down to almost zero. And the world now united under one nation, found peace. Jump to the year 3320, earth has now colonized two planets other than earth, and are planning to go to a third. In the year 3329, they travel to this third planet and find intelligent life there. They are surprised to find that the inhabitants aren't as far advanced as Earth, and are weaker than we were when we didn't have powers. The human government then tried to take control of their race to lead them. One by one more aliens where found, and each were less advance then hour own.

The year now 3475, we now have ships as fast and big as those captured by U.S. government in the 20s, and those seen by the public. All the ships they found were damaged beyond repair and had little salvaged from them. And with us now having searched almost the whole galaxy we began to wonder if we would ever find them. That's when something unexpected happened, deep in an unexplored part of the Milky Way on the other side of the galaxy we scanned an explosion. But this explosion was bigger than any super nova, and it came from a planet. After a year a human exploration group reached the location. What they found was destroyed planets and ships but no sign of life. It seems that the aliens that have visited us in the past had wiped themselves out in war.

By the year 4500 the powers of the human race had become more defined from each other. And their hair would turn a certain color depending on which power they possessed. And within the powers there were three groups. "Normal", which would have powers that changed the person's strength speed and reflexes, were the most common. Next, there were the "controllers." They could control matter, move water and wind, and make plants grow to their will. Lastly, there were the "creators" who could create and control. They could make fire, electricity, and energy. They were the rarest and most powerful.  There were many powers, and many more to come, but not much more changed with them from then on.

Now the year 5650, tension between aliens and humans had grown to the boiling point, and war is just around the corner. There are more aliens then humans, and they have the same technology at the starting date of the war of 5652. But in just 6 years almost all the aliens have been wiped out with very few causalities on the human side. And with this defeat human kind now ruled the galaxy.

By 5732 human kind had almost completely figured out the universe and how it worked. It would impossible to travel to another galaxy's in one's life time which meant that there wasn't anything left to explore, no discoveries, and nothing new to look forward to. The human race became restless and with their power and differences of opinion a war broke out.

The rich and powerful "creators" and "controllers" have always looked down on the "normals". And a man who would be called by the name "Double Threat" would lead the "normal" against the others for control. The sheer number of "normals" overwhelmed the opposing force and pushed the "creators" and "controllers" into hiding. This war would be called "the real war to end all wars" because it lasted from 5739 to 9427, and is the longest battle ever fought.

One thing that made it last so long was a new power discovered. It was the healing power, which the "Double Threat" used to make himself live forever. He and only he could do this because his power let him copy any persons power and then use it against him. But he could hold onto one power at a time. So when he wasn't fighting he would copy the power of one of the healers on his side. The way he got his name was his power caused his hair turn two colors at the same time, which had never happened before.

On the last day of the war and the last day of the "Double Threats" reign, a 16 year old boy stepped forward to fight him. This boy would be called the "crystal angel" because his hair looked like crystals. And he had a special power rivaled by no one. He had complete and utter control of all light in the universe. Most with power have control over a limited amount of matter and have a limited range. Within one minute the war was over. The boy used his power to kill every member of "Double Threat's" army and "Double Threat" all at once. But sadly, "Crystal Angel" died from the shock his power put on his brain.

Dew to the war, many planets were destroyed and the original earth was as un livable as the surface of the sun. The total population of humanity was around 600,000 and was battered and beaten. Hope for the human race was all but lost and humanity had all but wiped themselves out. They could rebuild and start over but the same thing would just happen again. But then someone found a solution while looking at the history of humanity. It seems that the down fall of the human race started on new year's 2999, because that's when the problems started. And looking back to the 20s they found some interesting science theories one of which is called the "Dyson Sphere". First they created 6600 "Dyson spheres" around 6600 stars. Next they used the resources from inhabitable planets and ones destroyed in the war to make an exact replica of earth at the year 1AD in each sphere, They then came up with a government that would look after humanity from behind the scenes. The system they place in the "Dyson sphere" is called an "Atomic Solar Dematerializing System" or "ASDM" for short.

The first system activated on New Year's 10000, and was populated with 500,000 people. They were given fake memories to play out their roles. This way history will repeat itself, but to make sure things go as planned, "life time actors" will act out people in people mentioned in history. Once the year reaches 3000 the "Dyson sphere" will activate and change it back to 1AD. But in the year 3000 there around 10,000,000,000 people and at the year 1 there are around 500,000, which means many people will die in the process.

But because the creators felt bad about the many deaths on their hands, they decided that if the population of a planet finds out what's going on without any outside help, they would be set free. And only if they could find this out would they be trusted with their own lives and that they wouldn't start another war.

And with that, it brings us back to the year 30129AD.  It has been 20129 years since the start of "ASDM" project and so far only 7 of the 6600 earths have been set free. The last to free themselves became free 10000 years ago. And it seems that the government doesn't want any more to become free because the problems they have caused. And because of this billions die every year without a chance to free themselves. The plan may not have been morally right in the first place and most involved don't think so ether but everyone feels there is no other way to preserve the human race. Humans have come to fear the past that they can't move on.
As well as all the deception by the government, they also put something in the water that blocks powers. They do this because it did not happen before the date 3000 and the fact they fear another "Double Threat" will be born. One problem is that those born with the healing power are immune to the power blocker and are killed when found out. Because their power can heal others to the point where their powers awaken.

Fear of history has caused the death of trillions of lives over the past 20000 years. But like the past, another hero will come and will lead the human race to peace. And maybe this time it will last.

[/spoiler]

Did you even read this??? this explains how the powers started, What made the first powers show up and times/ years when the powers changed into the form you will see in my story.

And if you read my above post I changed something to make the reason for the thing the government did more beleveable.
And they even have a war with the leader on the bad side as thir main reason...

You keep saying it needs to be explaqined so do you mean I need to explain which part of the DNA changed and what radition did it???
Do you realy want a chapter to be like you are reading a text book in school??

work with me here!

Salanewt

I somehow think that Role is asking about how the powers work, not how they came into existence. For example, do they use RNA to help guide the individual cells into correction/improvement, or might they look at the cells that the target's brain detects as normal or abnormal? Explaining their origin is nice, but it does not really work well in terms of their usage.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

zman9000

I said that DNA changed durring ones life time leaves a scar that the healing can use to fix that DNA and change it back to how it is suppose to be. people are born with the powers and they now tie into the process of growing up.
Also ageing is because your cells degrade every time they split (DNA changes) dew to injury and radition.
Also if some one were to alter your DNA the power could fix it.

Now powers in general.

The powers are the result of the human brain evolving/mutating over time. A natrual process.

the strangth power involves the user to use his power to control his body to make him self more powerful/ stronger and able it resist damege better.

those that control other things also use their mind.

And note that a well renound college proved that the human mind can effect it suroundings.
And was ablt to effect the out come of a computer program. random number gererator.
they tested it 100 times and every test the number the person thought of while in front of the computer was the one that appered the most each time.

of corse how this happend they don't know yet.
--------------------------------------------------------------

My point is most people in my story can't use their power while sleeping.
they need to focus to use it.

Mind over matter.

type 1 can control them selfs
type 2 can control a spicfic typr type of matter
type 3 can turn almost any matter in to some thing they can control and use it they same way as type 2

Then there is the powers that don't fall into any type.
Double Threat, Triple Threat, power stop, Mind read, and mind control. which I might make type 4?
"Controling others"

So in short all powers are is the human mind controling matter useing the power of their mind.
How they do this I don't know, mostly because this has some factor in real life.

So should I make up some energy that exests in all matter that they control, but then this becomes star wars.
I have been reaserching and have come up empty.

Hoopa

Quote from: zman9000 on 14, April, 2011, 08:33:14 PM
I said that DNA changed durring ones life time leaves a scar that the healing can use to fix that DNA and change it back to how it is suppose to be. people are born with the powers and they now tie into the process of growing up.
Also ageing is because your cells degrade every time they split (DNA changes) dew to injury and radition.
Also if some one were to alter your DNA the power could fix it.

DNA changing does not leave a scar. It is just a string of nucleotides that hold the blueprints for creating cells and proteins. Regeneration instead is the cells themselves restoring due to instructions within the DNA itself that programmed the cells to "revert" so to speak to a previous state should there be any abnormalities. It doesn't work the way you are stating. Also, this would require material to regenerate as well, since the body has to compensate for the regrowth, so instantaneous regeneration doesn't work.

The powers resulting from evolution of the human brain is feasible, so no arguments there. But stating "A well renowned college proved the human mind can affect its surroundings," which is that? Link please.

And type ones controlling themselves... explain.

Type twos... why would it only be one type of matter? If you can control rocks, you can control metal as you are manipulating many elements in one piece of rock. This is what I'm assuming you mean. If you mean like the elements in Fantasy, that's something else entirely, and goes more into energy manipulation.

So type threes are alchemists? Where do they get the energy they use to transmutate the matter? All changes in matter require energy, and vast amounts of it. This would need to be further explained as well. Also, since this is Sci-fi, no magic for you.

And saying you came up empty is no excuse. There are plenty of explanations you could use, you just aren't thinking hard enough.

Geez, you need to research. At this rate, I might just write a sci-fi novel just to show you.
"You seek the truth but are you able to handle it? What you find may not be what you expected... and it may ruin you in the end. Knowing that, will you continue onwards in your journey? Or will you give up and return to a life of apathy? The choice is yours..."

Rolina

Quote from: Salanewt on 14, April, 2011, 05:09:51 PM
I somehow think that Role is asking about how the powers work, not how they came into existence. For example, do they use RNA to help guide the individual cells into correction/improvement, or might they look at the cells that the target's brain detects as normal or abnormal? Explaining their origin is nice, but it does not really work well in terms of their usage.

A little bit of that, and the fact that what I'm arguing for, and what zman seems to be arguing against, is that you have to explain it to the reader/viewer when the situation comes up.  You can't just throw in an ability and assume that the audience will accept it, when it happens, have a character go "What the hell was that" or "how is this possible" and just spin a bit of believable technobable so they get the gist of what it is.

What Zman keeps saying is that he doesn't need to explain it.  I'm saying that even Gurren Lagaan explained that it's the 'strength of willpower' that powered the spiral energy of its world.  And Gurren Lagaan operated not by physics, but by rule of cool.  So no matter how much magic exists, you have to do away with the "It's magic, I ain't gotta explain @#$%" mentality.  You see, in your world, magic IS real, and has rules it must follow - you can't just do whatever with it.  Same with hyper-advanced science - it has to follow some kind of rules in your universe.  If it doesn't, you risk contradicting yourself.

zman9000

Yes there ways to explain it and I can think of at least 20 ways to do so...

But then I would be completely ripping off 20 other manga, anime, movies, and shows with similar ideas.

Example 1: their powers comes from another dimention interacting with our own which the human mind can control.
ripping off "To Aru Majutsu No Index" (anime)
Example 2: Some particle that exists in all matter which the mind can control.
ripping off "Star Wars" (movie)
Example 3: The human mind can control magnetic forces in matter dew to the electro-magnetic energy in the brain.
Ripping off "Fire Fly" (tv show)

Need I go on...

I am trying to come up with an idea that dosen't make it seem like my story came from some one else. (AND IT DIDN'T!)

the scar is just a thought point.

We now know that dark matter is a type of matter that only interacts with normal matter through Gravity.
Dark matter over laps matter and stuff (thats what i heard)
I don't know I am just shooting ideas out...

Umm how about an energy that can only be interacted with intelegent life and this energy exesists in all matter and with out the universe would fall appart.
Controling it alows you to conerol matter.
But the human brain is not fully evolved and is only in it fourth stage of evolution and a person can only control matter with a certain charaistic to it.
And again the reason the government created the dyson sphears was to not only preserve the human race but to also keep them from becoming all powerful and destroying the universe. This fear because of the past war with the double threat caused it.
now 20000 years later and the government is croupt and .........

Ok i am now going to stop listening to role or I am going to have to scrap the whole story and make this a love story about a guy and a girl who suddenly moved to japan...... cause thats all i have so far..... that hasn't been put down with out any advice.

I know i need to think through this but if ANYONE has any ideas how to make this make sence to role and the others PLEASE TELL ME!

Salanewt

It might be hard for me to make Role understand, as I hardly understand what you are trying to say myself. I have an idea that might work for explaining the power though; certain people can use their minds to create and/or manipulate special particles, but they can only be manipulated before they decay. This pretty much explains that:

1. Special powers exist in the world.
2. Certain people have the ability to use them.
3. They can not be used endlessly or without limitations.

For a bit more of an explanation, these particles are like living cells that already exist, but the mind activates them and drains them of their life; killing the cells and rendering them useless. Viral cells and Bacteria might work better for this, and might also help develop your healing powers a bit more without having to create new organisms that are specific to the plot.

If only certain people are able to use them, you could probably cry "mutation" or something. New chromosomal anomalies in certain fetal developments are causing this? A new radiation causes these anomalies? It should not be caused by radioactive or nuclear energies, but instead be solely biological.

Of course, the way your story runs is your choice in the end. It really depends on what you want, but you have to flesh out some things a bit more than you have been; details are key to success.

Good luck!
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

I don't see why it's so important to explain how their powers work in such detail, if it doesn't add to the story you're just boring the audience with excessive detail.  The goal is to entertain and tell a story, not write a scientific thesis on fictional powers in a fictional world.  "It's an alternate universe where people can focus their mind/willpower/chi/spirit to perform feats that would normally be considered impossible"  has worked perfectly fine for many successful stories.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

zman9000

Atrius u rock!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(And now for something random and weird by a tired and frustrated zman9000 a.k.a Michael)

but any way I beleve I am moveing to fast and pushing to hard to get all the details done...

I also have to say that that dream is not exactly how this idea started... (And since i am imbarised about how it really started i will give you guys a short version)

around the time when i was ten I descovered Dragonball Z. And I have said before I think about every thing more then a normal person should.
some things happend...

And I liked the idea of super powers. and it didn't help when I some how got to the second floor of my house past my parrents who were standing in the door, And the fact that I thought I tellaported. (Unless I climbed up there while sleep walking lol)

And for about 5 years... I had day dreams about differen't possibilitys for things. (I no longer need a ipod or music player because any song i have ever heard i can play back at any volume in my head and tune the would out.) my mind at that time was better then tv...
And at the same time my school grades went from c's to A+'s.

Then I had an accdent and my memory sucks. (and no this is not the accdent that my brother poked my eye out with a pennsyl.)

Then in january this year I had a dream that was the whole history of the story I have posted.

But I didn't start writhing right away.
The dream got me more into Anime and then two anime's got me thinking and this is where we are now.

Yeah so There is the story, if the story (the anime story) seems weird well now you know how it started...

And also somethings in the story will be taken from my life.
Jenna is some one ... I liked when i was 12 (not her real name)

The idea for the Triple Threat comes from the party where the persons hair color matches their power.

And the fact that I was born with three differen't colors in my hair Brown, red, and blond... the blond is almost all gone now and is all brown.

And the personailty's of all the main characters and school kids are differen't parts of my personality.

So basicly my life story, and you may think this is all uneeded and just plain weird.
But I don't care... and I don't care what you think of me, I just wan't to make a good story, thats all.

Also I haven't been asleep in about 60 some houres so............

Charon

Quote from: Atrius on 15, April, 2011, 03:49:08 PM
I don't see why it's so important to explain how their powers work in such detail, if it doesn't add to the story you're just boring the audience with excessive detail.  The goal is to entertain and tell a story, not write a scientific thesis on fictional powers in a fictional world.  "It's an alternate universe where people can focus their mind/willpower/chi/spirit to perform feats that would normally be considered impossible"  has worked perfectly fine for many successful stories.
This. The only time you should really be explaining anything is if the powers are changing for some reason.

Rolina

Quote from: Atrius on 15, April, 2011, 03:49:08 PM
I don't see why it's so important to explain how their powers work in such detail, if it doesn't add to the story you're just boring the audience with excessive detail.  The goal is to entertain and tell a story, not write a scientific thesis on fictional powers in a fictional world.  "It's an alternate universe where people can focus their mind/willpower/chi/spirit to perform feats that would normally be considered impossible"  has worked perfectly fine for many successful stories.
It DOESN'T need to be in detail, and it doesn't need to be to us!

I'm saying that he needs to explain them as they come up in the story itself.  NOT to us - but to his audience.  The way he was saying things, it sounded like he didn't think that needed to be done.

God, I swear I get misunderstood by everyone every time I say this...

Charon

Actually, that's not completely true, if you have static (as in unchanging) powers, its generally better to not explain why they have them unless it's central to some later point in the plot. Like, nobody cares why, for example, Garet has mars powers (except for those theorists), even though Vale typically has Venus adepts. It's just there. He uses them to go along. Whatever.

However, if it's central to a later point, its important to explain it - in my own comic, a character named Joshua is a genetic mutant who has psychic powers and has both human and raven traits. However, because of this he has a weak body and dies at a young age due to organ failure. (lol sorry if I spoil't anything for anyone). It's also a good idea to explain extremely powerful characters, but don't go deeper than you really need to.

So, as long as his powers serve to protect him and are static, or their presence isn't going to be central to later events, explaining powers can actually bog down a story's progress.

Rolina

Quote from: Charon the Ferryman on 15, April, 2011, 10:04:22 PM
Actually, that's not completely true, if you have static (as in unchanging) powers, its generally better to not explain why they have them unless it's central to some later point in the plot. Like, nobody cares why, for example, Garet has mars powers (except for those theorists), even though Vale typically has Venus adepts. It's just there. He uses them to go along. Whatever.

However, if it's central to a later point, its important to explain it - in my own comic, a character named Joshua is a genetic mutant who has psychic powers and has both human and raven traits. However, because of this he has a weak body and dies at a young age due to organ failure. (lol sorry if I spoil't anything for anyone). It's also a good idea to explain extremely powerful characters, but don't go deeper than you really need to.

So, as long as his powers serve to protect him and are static, or their presence isn't going to be central to later events, explaining powers can actually bog down a story's progress.
Charon, if you're going to counter, use an example that makes sense.  Vale has BOTH Mars and Venus adepts, if Garet's a freak, then so is Jenna and her mom.

Charon

Yeah, but there's like... no one else. If you watch the examples of psynergy that aren't the regular adepts, the majority of it is Venus psynergy. Their families could easily have just been a line mars adepts that traveled to the land a few generations before.

My point is that if you don't need to explain something, then don't. If Joe has psychic powers, you don't need to explain why Joe has them, unless the reason why he has them plays a role later, like if he's a mutant and he has to kill his creator later or something. But if Joe is doing something completely unrelated to that, like using his psychic powers to overthrow the government, then the audience doesn't really care.

Rolina

Charon, it's fairly established that Vale is Mars and Venus.  You say nobody else, but... that's HALF THE CAST from Vale.  Felix, Isaac, and Kyle are the only known Venus adepts from there, you know.

My point is that you have to explain it to some extent - a character doesn't understand what something is/how it works, so another gives the general gist in layman's terms.  It's done by damn near everything, even Kraden explains Psynergy and Alchemy in TBS.

Charon

whatever >_>

Yeah, that's true in some instances, but you don't actually need it. Although, most times there are backstories, its not a good idea to go into crazy detail. Like, with the movie Spiderman. Yeah, we know he got bit by a genetically altered spider. But do we care how that actually fuctioned? NO. We just want to know why he was the way he was. If they explained how he got those powers through the actual science and genetics, you'd bore 99% of the audience.