News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Quick Importing Question

Started by Charon, 06, May, 2011, 08:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charon

So I've finally made the decision to import a used copy of Fire Emblem 12, mainly because I'm pretty sure its not going to see American shores for some time at least (plus its fun to have Japanese games!). Anyways, Amazon claims that the game is DSi enhanced, which leads me to think that its region-locked. Will it be region-locked for the DS/DS Lite? My friend really wants my DSi and I'm barely even using most of its features anyhow...

Now I'm getting paranoid that the seller might not be "genuine". Their used copy is about $10 cheaper, and they don't have any reviews on Amazon. They seem to have positive reception on Ebay though... should I go through with it or wait a week and go with the more expensive store?

Hoopa

DS and DSL doesn't have a region lock, so import away!
"You seek the truth but are you able to handle it? What you find may not be what you expected... and it may ruin you in the end. Knowing that, will you continue onwards in your journey? Or will you give up and return to a life of apathy? The choice is yours..."

Kain

Aha...the date of release is only labeled as 2011.  But Whiz is right.  There is no region lock and I can confirm this since I have two Japanese games for my DS.
You misspelled retard...oh the irony!

Rolina

Quote from: Whizkidhv on 06, May, 2011, 09:52:39 PM
DS and DSL doesn't have a region lock, so import away!
DSi and 3DS are.  She'll not be able to play it if it's DSi enhanced.

Kain

Charon isn't asking about those two, she's asking about the DS/DSL and if her post is indicating what I think it is, she's going to give away her DSi.

Rolina

DSi enhanced games I think have the same thing - region locking.  I don't know if she'll be able to even play it.

Crystal Sonata

DS and DSL have absolutely NO region locking. I have over 20 games imported from japan and france, over 50% of them DSi enhanced. They all work perfectly on my DS and DSL, but i do have some slight problems with the DSi. One of them doesnt play at all and in another the Japanese text is wacked to hell.

<---Tested after seeing this post.
And i would go with the more expensive one. Just in case. Or whichever one allows returns if you get screwed. Oh and yea i already got my copy but i did it myself when i went to japan this last month (The reason i have been gone). Its actually pretty kick @#$ but i got kinda bored with it quickly.
Anything I post here is solely my opinion, and is not proven fact, unless I specify otherwise.

If I say anything that offends you, grow a set.

Charon

I did some research on the seller (A lot actually), I think I can trust them - they seem to received a lot of positive reviews from the French and also on Ebay. I should be okay, and from what I've read Amazon is really good about returning and refunding for counterfeit/bootleg merchandise.

I kinda figured DS and DSL wouldn't be region locked at all (I think I recall some people importing B/W), but the only Japanese games I have are goddamn GB games and I think a good 10 years is a wee bit too many to determine whether the region lock still applies.

o u and u being silly with ur fe12

@ Kain - I was referring to Momo being silly for getting bored with it

Kain

Silly?  This is Fire Emblem.  I'm all serious when it concerns my favorite game series.  =3

When you get it you'll have to tell me how it goes.

Rolina

QuoteI have over 20 games imported from japan and france, over 50% of them DSi enhanced
I have to question that validity of this claim, because I've only seen maybe one or two games that had some kind of enhancement.  On top of that, I have to question someone as young as you having imported so much.

Charon

I think it should work though; I recall a few people importing Pokemon B/W now that I think about it and they managed to play it fine, and that game has DSi enhancements. If I trade my DSi with my friend's DSL I should be cool. Better than selling it at shitstop Gamestop.

Rolina

Still, I have to ask... WHY?  I never understood the whole thing of "Importing games that are going to be localized anyways".  It really makes no sense to me why people would do it.

Charon

Because I have this really, really strong feeling its not gonna get localized. Its been almost a year since its initial release in Japan. The 11th title got quite a bit of harsh criticism for its totally CGI battle-graphics and its lackluster story (although I can say that I'm glad they did the latter because they were intent in preserving the first title's story). In September they apparently released a video of the progress but nothing has come out on it since. Not even a potential release date. I've played the game on an emulator too, and it was fun but horrifically slow and I'd like to have the ability to carry it with me without having to get a flash cartridge.

Rolina

Let's see... I know of a few games that got that treatment... White Knight Chronicles, both the first and second games, actually.  Hell, the first game came out internationally when the second game was about to come out in Japan.   I'd personally wait a few more months - or at least for E3.  If nothing by then, then sure, go ahead.  I just don't want you to regret importing it only to have it come out here.

Charon

To be honest I wouldn't really care. It'd actually be pretty cool to have both the Japanese and American copies of a game since Super Mario Land and Wario Blast. Even if it does come over I doubt I'll regret it because at least I'll have something in my collection. So yeah, I can see your point but I really don't think I'll regret it.

Rolina

By the way, I know this is unrelated, but... why do some people have two hopping djinn under their postcount title thing instead of one?

Crystal Sonata

It's due to their clan status. Leaders like you and me have two. And also, in Japan there are a lot more "Enhanced" games than in the US. I used to live in Japan remember?
Anything I post here is solely my opinion, and is not proven fact, unless I specify otherwise.

If I say anything that offends you, grow a set.

Rolina

No, I don't remember.  I don't think you ever brought it up.  All I know is that you live in the same state as me and claim people won't enforce child abuse laws for some stupid reason where you live.  That, and depending on the day, you either like me or despise me.

Also, I know that.  The whole reason I brought it up is because despite being a leader, I didn't have two.  It was more of a "*poke* Oi, your job.  Do it." than anything else.

Kain

I can vouch for Momo about living in Japan.  He (??? Not sure.  It's what your pro says so...) has said this before.  Also the two djinn thing...if THAT is the only reason you brought it up you could have just done so elsewhere instead of taking this off topic, even though I'm fairly positive you had two before you made that post.

Rolina

It worked, that's all that matters.