News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Lessons we've learned from Dark Dawn

Started by Rolina, 15, May, 2011, 09:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

I don't suppose you've head of the term "Lesser of two evils", have you? 

Durza

I would very much like to know the greater of those two evils.
It's not a lie if you don't want to be believed. You're can't be wrong if you don't think you're right.

Rolina

Hmm, let's see... the Dark Eclipse effects maybe half a continent, and is temporary (even if the Apollo Lens wasn't used, it'd have ended eventually).

The Psynergy Vortexes cover THE ENTIRE WORLD.  It'll happen with the occasional HUGE event called the Mourning Moon until it is stopped.  The heroes have no idea how to do this.  The villains may very well have known, as shown by the machine you came across.

Remember how you thought S&M was going to destroy the world by unleashing alchemy?  Remember how they were really trying to save the world, even if it meant causing global-scale natural disasters?  That.  This is a GOLDEN SUN GAME.  Odds are, they weren't pure evil, just doing things in a totally wrong way.

Common sense.  It does a body good.

zman9000

but even if thats true, alex wants that power to do bad things like rule the world, and we still don't know much about him.
he could be the one evil in the world.
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Rolina

Aye, Alex is the only person who can be considered truely evil right now... but even then, he's shown genuine concern for Mia, and is STILL an enigma.  We have no idea what the hell he's after.  He's likely going to be the penultimate foe of the series.

Durza

The eclipse would have ended eventually, but they never say what would happen once the tower had filled with energy. It could very well have had a different result without the Lens. Most vortexes are small and avoidable, and very little information on the Mourning Moon is given. I don't see how the Eclipse is the lesser of two evils when the eclipse didn't stop vortexes appearing.
It's not a lie if you don't want to be believed. You're can't be wrong if you don't think you're right.

Rolina

...Did you even play the game?  The whole purpose of the Apollo Lens was to fill it up faster.  You wanna know what would have happened?  Exactly what did happen.  Only slower, and without people getting Light Adept powers.

Aile~♥

@Role: The eclipse covered half a continent? Yeah, right. It covered a large portion of the Eastern Sea, and most of TWO continents! Or did you fail to look at the map that was right there in Luna Tower and showed everywhere that would be hit?
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

Last I checked, we only got access to one continent Jamie.  Or would you like to go back and check to see if we ever did go to Gondawan?

Salanewt

I find it kind of funny how they actually put Venus Lighthouse on the map, despite never being able to go far enough to see it (unless I am mistaken).

Either way, it covered more than half of the continent, if I recall. Didn't it go near Mt. Aleph as well? It nearly covered every coast, aside from a few odd beaches here and there. Granted, it only covered about half of what we could go on for the majority of the game.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Aile~♥

We never did, no. But remember the puzzle in the Eclipse Tower? The one where you had to light the "sun" using the four elements to deactivate the Ward? Remember how lighting the sun made a shadow on a stone plaque of the world? Yeah, that. It has a map. Of the whole of Weyard, if I recall correctly. And the Eclipse covered everything but the edges of the continents and half the Western and Eastern seas.

Rolina

A huge portion of it was over water, and last I checked, people don't live in the ocean.  While the effects were bad, yes, they were not on the scale of the natural disasters that were caused by S&M's quest to save the world.

Simply put, we don't know their motive yet.  The reason that they were doing it.  It's very likely that we'll find out in a future game.  I'm very certain they weren't pure evil.

@Jamie:  Go back and play and find all the places it covered.   In game.

Aile~♥

You can't. Simply can't be done. Why? Because you never get access to the other edge after the release of the Eclipse. You can't go and check where it ends, simply because you DON'T GET TO GO TO THOSE OTHER CONTINENTS. So all we have to go by is what you see on that map, IN-GAME.

And no, people don't live in the ocean. But they do live on islands, which are in the ocean. And it's quite possible that a number of islands off in the west are too small to be seen on that rather tiny stone map.

Rolina

...You don't know about the Wall Glitch?

zman9000

We all agree to some point that every one in golden sun isn't evil. (at least to the sence of true evil).

But even if there is the possibilty that some one is evil that one person would have to be Alex.

Alex hasn't done anything selfless yet, and everything he has done has been bad for every one but him.

I get what you guys mean by darkness not being evil, but there is a difference between darkness and "~DaRkNeSs~" if you get what I mean. you can say in normal life the dark isn't evil, just a place with out light. but the concept leading darkness and evil comes from religion. and yes we don't want to get into that kinda talk, but most of our concepts and way we look at the world is due to different religion's vews over the years.

so define darkness
and define evil and pure evil
all different diffinitions.

but to come up with a answer that every body can be happy with, a lesson we've learned from Dark Dawn would be, leave out  light and dark combind with good and evil as much as possibul. GS 1 and 2 had it right!
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Rolina

...Wow, have we strayed from topic or what?  Let's try to get back.

ScottTheAdept

Right, just to contribute to the topic I also have learned:

Inconsistencies lead to confusion - I truly remember the Psynergy Vortexes sprouted quite a bit ... before Matt left the general Vale area. Where'd they go? The eclipse block 'em out or something?
[spoiler=In case some didn't finish GS 3]Did the vortexes all combine to become the gargantuan one we saw at the end?[/spoiler]
Overall, explanations please, about the mysterious disappearances of things that can kill, destroy, and block important paths. And if there is blatant information about why the vortexes were gone, than by all means disregard or delete this post.
Here come the holidays. Shopping gets hectic round these times.

Rolina

Quote from: zman9000 on 08, June, 2011, 08:15:41 AM
quote by Role:
Quote...You don't know about the Wall Glitch?

quote by zman9000:
Quotebut to come up with a answer that every body can be happy with, a lesson we've learned from Dark Dawn would be, leave out  light and dark combind with good and evil as much as possibul. GS 1 and 2 had it right!

whose straying from the topic?
That wasn't directed at you, genius.  It was a comment about the general state of the topic.

@Scott:  Checkov's Gun, IIRC.  They made it out to be a bad problem, but then distracted you with an immediate threat.  You get back, and BAM, there's the Mourning Moon.  Forgot about it, didn't you?

zman9000

QuoteThat wasn't directed at you, genius.
thanks Role.

@scott: if you want real answers you will have to wait until GS4.
but I'm right with you, the vortexes shouldn't have stopped just for plot convience, they should have thrown one or two small ones in here or there.

ScottTheAdept

@Role: I didn't forget about the Mourning Moon, I just forgot its name. I know it appeared at the end (it's in the spoiler just forgot its name,) I just wanted to know why none appeared after leaving the Vale area. Wasn't the Mourning Moon's arrival supposed to be announced by many Psynergy Vortexes? We only saw 3 in the entire game ... They suddenly stopped when you passed the border to southern part of the continent. I'm just gonna guess Camelot didn't want to include them anymore because it wasn't going to get anywhere for the rest of the game or because those were the last of the vortexes until the Mourning Moon. That's my opinion.

@zman: Eh, I'd like 3 or more vortexes appearing at least. I got excited when the eclipse began because I thought it would amplify the psynergy vortexes and cause them to mutate in terrifying ways ... but nope. They merely decided to go with "Mourning Moon time!" at the very end. Probably trying to say, as stated above, the 3 vortexes we got to see were the last ones until the Mourning Moon.
Quote from: RoleYou get back, and BAM, there's the Mourning Moon.
... Well now I see where you're coming from Role.
Here come the holidays. Shopping gets hectic round these times.