News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Improbability Alert!

Started by Marin, 25, May, 2011, 07:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

Ah, on the contrary, I've had godmoders ruin so many games that I don't trust many people to play a Mighty Glacier properly, since I've seen many times when they're outrunning the Fragile Speedster.

To me, all the stat do as act as guidelines, saying that "this person is about 20% faster than the average person" or "This person's magic is only 70% average".  It's not strictly enforced, but works well as guidelines, and if someone calls bullshit, I as the GM has a frame of reference by which to judge.  Outside of character creation, they're only really used to settle disputes and calls of godmoding.

Marin (She/Her)

Yeah but they ruin my ability to enjoy any sort of competition. It's like a cheat sheet to metagaming the outcome of any competition. <___> So really it just... bothers me on a personal level.  :sad:

I would also hate to be told that I'm godmoding because of this and that stat. That would make me rage hardcore, because I am /not/ a jerk to others in RP. @_@

Kain

I have to agree Marin.  When I first began RPing, it was in chat rooms and even the first few forums I got into I was never asked to make a sheet or something.  If my character is going to be fast, I have a move that makes it so, or a teleport spell.

RPing with stats or pre-determined fights ruins an RP IMO.  But that's just me.
You misspelled retard...oh the irony!

Atrius (He/Him)

A mysterious traveler slowly approaches the conversation from a dark corner silently drawing his blade, *Atrius rolls his 20 sided die* and trips over an uneven floorboard fatally stabbing himself in the chest with a ... *Pulls out his character sheet, and does some calculations* +672 piercing damage critical strike.

*cough*

Er... Yeah, I could totally understanding wanting to do RPs just for the fun of it without worrying about any actual game mechanics.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

Your character is known for speed.  It's their shtick.  The new guy isn't really known for anything - they're a self-described jack of all trades.  A situation calling for combat comes up.  He's continually claiming that he can move as fast/faster than your character in his posts.  He's also easily lifting things that the Strong Guy strains himself over.  Technically, he can claim he did nothing wrong.  You, not wanting to godmode, said that though you're fast, you're not the fastest in the world.  Same with the strong guy.  You're good RPers.  Then this guy comes along and says there's no rule against being "generally good at everything", so he claims it gives him the right to be in between everyone and whoever the 'best in category in the world' happens to be.

Needless to say, it's obvious to everyone but him.  I've had so many RPs ruined by these guys I've just started making preventative measures.  If you've not... then where do you RP, because I wanna check that place out!

@Atrius:  That's not how stat references work.  You've gone beyond references and added that G in there.

On another question, what type of threads do you prefer?  Self-contained thread, or RPs where each thread is a different location?

Marin (She/Her)

My solution to the above problem where I come from: Use the block or ignore feature. Retcon your character ever noticing their existence and refuse to acknowledge it again. Problem Solved. I don't think there should be rules against being better than everyone else. They are.... a bit arbitrary and limit creativity and all this junk when I just think people's judgement tends to work fine. I mean. if you limit godmoders from doing everything perfectly, they're just going to be the best they can be within the limitations, so it's kind of redundant anyway. >_<;

There's a character who's awesome at "everything". His stats are all... high. Like, as high as they can go.

Godmoder, yes? Nnno.

Turns out this character has a a crippling and irrational phobia of being touched. He hesitates to hit people in fights as a result, and thus his reaction times in general are incredibly slow for a fighter. He is easily thrown into a panic by fast and erratic attacks. His stats may be better, but he won't beat you in a strength contest and he probably won't beat you in a speed contest that isn't a race. I can keep piling on these weaknesses until I successfully nullify any stat you throw on me. >_<

One of my characters has a similar crippling weakness. Her name is Erika and she was an experiment of mine trying to create a fantasy character. She has super strength compared to an average human adult, and on top of that her legs possess absurd amounts of additional strength. (She is part frog.)

She is also a powerful mage who majors in water and darkness based magic, and minors in wind based magic. Using a sort of "hack" workaround, she can cast things like fire, thunder, and ice magic (Involves becoming immobilized while casting upon a magically altered space of ground she has to create beforehand.) She's also poisonous. (Yes. Poisonous. To eat. There's a dragon out there eying frog legs. I KNOW IT.)

She was born gifted with strength, and spent most of her life studying magic to get where she was now. However, due to her crippling weakness which I haven't mentioned yet, she is not as significant of a killing machine as she could be. Erika is extremely vulnerable to dehydration. A normal  human can survive maybe three days without water. Erika would be lucky to survive one. Using any sort of fire or thunder magic is practically a death sentence for her, and being hit with them also would quickly kill her. Even minor Light/holy based magic also pretty much annihilates her in one hit due to the secondary race she has giving her most of her strength and the ability to use darkness based magic. In addition to all of the above, Erika has to manually keep control of her body temperature (It's a frog thing). Being frozen or otherwise covered in ice will rapidly exhaust and kill her if suffocation doesn't kick in first. If she somehow got free, hypothermia still kicks in extremely fast for her. To a lesser degree, she is weak against ice. In addition to all the above. Her eyes have a slight difficulty seeing things that aren't moving.

Is she a godmoder? Hardly. She's got more elemental weaknesses than she does strengths.

Rolina

The problem with that is that when that kind of character shows up, it tends to drive away the other players - it takes a much more dedicated group to stay together, and sadly I've yet to find a place with those.  If you've got recommendations, I'd love to hear it.

Anywho, your answer to the RP style?  Self-contained or location based threads?  Which do you prefer?

Marin (She/Her)

Good judgement by a moderator is all it really takes in that case, imo. I could show you some places...

I suppose I have no particular preference between the two types, as I'm not heavy on forum based anyway. (Forum based tends to imply a post length far above what I'm comfortable with as well as elitists looking down on my length. >_<;)

Rolina

Eh, not really.  Brick walls of text tend to be turn offs even to forum based RPs.  Instead, it's asked that not just say one line and leave it at that.  If you don't have at least a few sentences to say, then you're better off waiting until you have something to reply to.  There's other things you can do, too.  Just saying "Amy rolls over in her sleep" will get you in trouble, you could instead describe their dream instead.  It's the oneliners that piss people off.  As the saying goes, "If you don't have anything to say, then don't say anything".

Marin (She/Her)

Well... on my monitor that's like, 1/10th of a line. I guess I just want my RPs to be casual enough that I don't have to *work* to post instead of merely having fun doing so. Hence, I really tend to avoid forum RPs, both because of all of that and the fact that I can become a bit shy when RPing in public.  :sad:

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

QuoteBrick walls of text tend to be turn offs even to forum based RPs.
This could have been one of the reasons my Role Playing #1 topic went inactive after awhile.

I do agree that just a few lines (5 - 20) would be good per post.

----
What's even worse is if you take turns going in a circle RPing. We actually did that once in these topics. (This would include waiting a certain ammount of time for the person who's turn it is goes, if they take too long, ofcourse they can be skipped.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Rolina

Actually, that's because we have very few RPers here.