News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Unlabled Values

Started by Role, 22, May, 2009, 05:32:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

QuoteCharleysdrpepper, thank you for the tip about sorting.

Quoteand my next theory...  all battles that are in one room are right next to each other in the list
That wouldn't surprise me, it's not uncommon for the data to end up organized like that.  It doesn't help us out much though because it still doesn't tell us how the game figures out exactly which enemy groups correspond to which room.  There's no actual value associated with this so it's not of any use to me really.

Actually, I think Room's index Battle Collections.. and the collections say which battles are possible... (Found something.)

I'm not 100% sure if the box is off, but it should be about 1C bytes.

Edit: Have you actually found this data yet?
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Atrius (He/Him)

I'd looked through the data I found while making the map viewer for anything related to it, but I hadn't actually started searching specifically for that data yet, no.

The pointer's location itself is promising, that area of the ROM is one of the locations I would have expected to find it since it's right by other similar data for rooms including where music is assigned to them, the name that appears when you enter them, as well as a few premade idle scripts for NPCs among other things.  Good find, I'll look into seeing how the code uses it.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

So then, does that mean that it could be possible to assign specific battles in an area to a specific room?  If so, then... heh... heh heh heh...

Atrius (He/Him)

This data is for the standard random battles.  Looks to be a limit of 8 monster groups per area.

I'm still trying to track down how exactly it assigns this data to a room, and the meaning of the data other than the monster group indexes.  This is just speculation, but I would guess that Charleysdrpepper is right about the values for how often battles happen and the last 8 bytes may weigh how often specific battles occur.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

Up to 8 encounters per area, eh?  Then it makes sense why they do the monster groups the way they do, to give it the semblance of more variety.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Quote from: Atrius on 20, June, 2010, 12:48:58 AM
This data is for the standard random battles.  Looks to be a limit of 8 monster groups per area.

I'm still trying to track down how exactly it assigns this data to a room, and the meaning of the data other than the monster group indexes.  This is just speculation, but I would guess that Charleysdrpepper is right about the values for how often battles happen and the last 8 bytes may weigh how often specific battles occur.

The last 8 bytes being how often specific battles occur, most of them seem to be divisible by 5. (5%, 10%, 20%, probably) But they don't seem to add up to 100%.

In case you haven't found it yet...

^ It was not actually that far from the data... so I found it in a breeze.

I'm not sure what the rest of it does, but when I edit the FF ones, it seems to keep me from getting battles. (Are they X, Y, Width, and Height related? Not sure.... but I bet the first one is 16-bit indexing something related to it...) Like I was able to get battles on the left side of the room and not on the right, at one point...

-----
By the way, I wonder if this will reach version 0.3, it doesn't look like it would be that hard for you to program... Ofcourse, I seem to remember you not wanting to start any other projects in the editor until your current ones are complete.... but that doesn't mean you can't add them afterwards....
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Atrius (He/Him)

The first 0xFFFF is the entrance to the room you came in at.  The second one appears to be for story triggers, the only maps I noticed that seem to use it are inside Pier's ship, and Kibombo Mountains(?).

Zach

Quote from: charleysdrpepper on 19, June, 2010, 06:50:05 AM
Oh, thankyou for correcting me...

Anyway, it seems Golden sun 2, also has arrangements in the Battle Data... Which reminds me of Superstar Saga....

Well... Superstar saga even has an arrangements database too, so the bytes in the battle database would index to them.

Anyway... I've made some notes here.... so I'll just store them below ... (also, so it doesn't seem like I'm going off-topic.)

P.S. - This game having enemies form a line... I doubt it has an arrangements database like Superstar Saga.

I've noticed the first enemy can be on the left, middle, or right, as opposed to the other two.

It seems those are the only three numbers used for that value....

----
and my next theory... all battles that are in one room are right next to each other in the list... (Well, Superstar Saga is like this, and for random battles they use a percentage literally in the battle data.... so...) ---

It just looks like they are in groups of 10, actually, I bet if I go under that red box and change the enemies in them, I'd be adding battles to this room... since each room may easily be able to have up to 10 battles. Just a wild guess. Since I'm thinking that each room has like one or two bytes to get the collection of battles? One might be the number of battles... but I dunno.

Um? Are you sure the last group is correct? "Venus Djinni" it just looks like something that should be removed..... (In otherwords... I've had a suspicion that data is actually something else...

I'm sorry that this may be off-topic and all... but what's up with this?

Mad Vermin and Hydra don't match.

I restart the editor and now they do match... but just note that this battle editor may need fixing.

The enemy list theory is somewhat correct. The group of enemies before ??? are the enemies that appear in an area. I posted that finding in the Golden Sun ID + Monster Location topic back in January o.O. Btw, starting from 240, the enemies couplings are in order by location :) (unless it's a djinni, mimic, or boss, as they won't be in the same group. 
Quote from: Zach on 16, January, 2010, 09:08:48 PM
Enemy Editor Locations. This list provides the numbers that are used for enemies to appear in the location that it's put underneath. However, I will not be posting names (excluding bosses, mimics, mad plants, and djinni) since they're a little different in my editor, so bear with me please

Suhalla Gate

48. - 50.

Gateway Cave

North Indra - Overworld

240. - 247.

Kandorean Temple

250. - 257.
650. Mimic
12. Mercury Djinni - Fog
52. Chestbeater

Shrine of the Sea God

260. - 267.