News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

My first Golden Sun!

Started by zman9000, 10, June, 2011, 05:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zman9000

This topic is where you can tell / share your story of how you:

first found about golden sun
how you felt when you found out there was another game
and how it all lead to this site.

Basicly, how has golden sun changed your life and why?
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Griever

Well ... I first found out about it from a magazine ... don't really remember it's name but it had an article about the first 10 best GBA games ... and I'm sure you all can guess ... Golden Sun was one of the games ... I cannot remember exactly .. but GS was 5th or 6th ...

I played TLA first ... since i had no idea there was GS1 ..
I reached the point where i have to go to Lumaria ... and was stuck trying to "kill" Poseidon ... I only knew about GS1 after we got internet connection ...

And about how i found this site ... well it was google search >_< was looking for that password generator .. and by accident i found this site.

dograt50

How I first found out about Golden Sun:
Sometime around 2000-2003 when i was 5 , i was in a daycare progarm in the summer. I met and became friends with an 8 year old kid think and he had an golden sun game(cant remember if it was GS or TLA). We took turns playing it alot and then i wanted my own copy so at christmas that year my mom bought a copy of it, man i loved it but i remember took me about 2 years to beat it playing on and off because i never read the text which gave hints like when you come to suhalla desert and not leveling up and rushing to mercury Lighthouse to beat be 20 time by Saturos.

how i felt when i learned there was another game:
in like 2008-2009 i was bored playing my old gba games,played gs,beat it ,saw the "to be Continued", googled "golden sun 2" TLA came up, ordered it on amazon, loved it :D

For DD found that on youtube and went ballistic over it :)

when i got into rom's and stuff this site poped up on google and i signed up :) thats pretty much my story :)

:Felix: :VenusDjinni: :Isaac: Chuck Norris!

Salanewt

I first got TLA as a gift from family. I had major doubts about it at first because of the fact that it was a third party game that used an unfamiliar art style on the box (keeping in mind that I was about 9-11 at the time). I tried playing it shortly after I opened it, and I decided that it was one of the best games that I had ever played.

Fast-forward to 2009, on June 4th. I was browsing the Nintendo website when I noticed temporary cover art for "Golden Sun DS". I watched a few videos on Youtube to make sure that it was not someone's attempt at hacking their website, and then I stumbled upon one of Atrius' videos. A few hours later, I start asking questions about the editor, and... yeah!
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

When I was little..., I wanted a gameboy.., I believe this was before I learned about emulation..? so on Christmas, my brother and I got gameboys.. My game was Super Mario World, I think.. (Though, we did have a Super Mario World for SNES, but I think we gave it to someone else previously.) .. and my brother's was... Yup. Golden Sun (The Original.)

Eventually, I did play his game... yes.

Once I found out about ROMs on the computer.. as I got older, I believe that's when I got a chance to play TLA.

I can't remember exactly how I got to this site, but I believe it was from watching Atrius's videos and using things like his Voice Acting Hack, sometime then, I was interested in what Atrius was doing... and soon, I had found this site. (All this was before I had heard anything about the third game.. back in May of 2009...)

Finding this site has lead me interested in hacking the ROMs myself, and not just with editors and stuff. (I learned about the Memory Viewer after seeing a post Atrius made about the Debug Menus.)

Now, I am at Yoshi's Lighthouse hacking Mario & Luigi series. (Mainly just Superstar Saga.)

EDIT: It is finally nice to have some hacking experience now, it is well worth it. I also found out about GBATEK through Atrius.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

dwkjohn

when i was five, i loved watching my sister play videogames. she was amazing at it. my mom bought her one of the final fantasy games on a monday and she had beaten it by that friday. so i was watching her play GS. i had no idea what it was at the time but in a few years, i saw a game with a similar style. i wondered if it was that game. it was but it was TLA. i played it constantly. i went through 3 gameboys before i beat it. all mechanical failure. the i looked for the first one. it was awesome. then when i heard about DD, i was so excited!!! but... then i saw it was only on ds and the graphics stunk in my honest opinion. i don't have the money for a ds and am completely clueless about DD. i still prefered the old style better than the new 3d-ish attempt they made. i hate the look of that style. totally ruined the game even if i do get a ds. sorry if i offend anyone with my DD slander. its only on the style and graphics. i would really like to know the story though. i am sure it i amazing.

this is my first summer on the internet. the first thing i lookes up was buying a new gameboy. i had just gone through my forth. then i thought. hmm. i wonder i there is an online gameboy for free. thats when i found VBA. i thought hmm. if i can get that for free then i can get all my favcorite games for free. i got both golden suns and loved it. then i saw the cheats dropdown menu and searched how to hack golden sun. this was the first thing that came up. i have been having the best summer ever thanx to all you guys. and thanx to role for helping me correct my netiquitte but not my spellin :D.
Just sayin'.  

,-~~-.___.            Golden Sun
  /   |  '         \   Hacking Community
(     )           0              |
   \_/-, ,------'              /
      ===                     //                   
      /    \-'~;    /~~~(O)
    /    __/~|__/         |   
=(  _____| (_________|
All your internet entertainment.

MaxiPower

How I got the game

Went to my local GAME, preowened section I saw both GS TLA and FF Tactics, both going for 15 pound. I only had 15 pound lol so I bought FF tactics as I thought a FF game having played them before would be suffice, got home played it and was like WTF, this is trash...

Next day 9am (stores open at 9) I went back to the store, its a walking distance but i remember it was heavy snow the night before so i battled the elements to get there, I remember taking the same path there and back and walking on my footprints lol (easily noticeable as there was a Nike tick on the base of the shoe.

When i realised that there was another game

having played the second one first, i eagerly wanted to play the first one and checked all the stores to no avail... Luckily then my friend in school had the internet lol (i didnt) and he said he would buy it of ebay.. I remember the day it came was the longest school day of my life, when I got home and put it in my SP I could not believe that I actually had the game, I was THAT excited it was like a mere dream, I remember pinching myself lol, after maybe a year of searching I got it.

How I found the website

Well long ago when I got a PC and Internet, I tried multiple times to make fan games with several game makers / RPG makers etc but I had no talent whatsoever then I came across Atrius.. about a year or more maybe before the first website even started. I saw his video on sprite altering through codebreaker codes etc and I made a few crappy fan trailer's on the game and me and Atrius talked a bit.. Then when he made the site invited me via PM on youtube.

Charon

I think its interesting that a lot of you guys started out with GS, or it was one of your first games. I've been playing handheld games since '97 xD

GS:
I got the first game in 2003, literally 4 weeks before the second game came out. Some kid suggested it to me after I showed him the Dragon Quest 3 port for GBC that I was playing. I got insanely hooked, fell in love with Ivan and demanded that I get the second game as soon as possible. I got it about 4 months later and played it like a maniac. It's only until Dark Dawn came out that I really got toned off the series, because it was really a disappointment and shed light on the flaws of the series.

GSHC:

I found this site through the link to Atrius's editor, posted on GSR, which linked here. Atrius knew me quite well already at that point and within 2 months he selected me as the administrator to substitute while he would be gone. He came back though so now we co-administrate. lol

MaxiPower

Quote from: Charon the Ferryman on 11, June, 2011, 10:16:06 AM
I think its interesting that a lot of you guys started out with GS, or it was one of your first games. I've been playing handheld games since '97 xD

GS:
I got the first game in 2003, literally 4 weeks before the second game came out. Some kid suggested it to me after I showed him the Dragon Quest 3 port for GBC that I was playing. I got insanely hooked, fell in love with Ivan and demanded that I get the second game as soon as possible. I got it about 4 months later and played it like a maniac. It's only until Dark Dawn came out that I really got toned off the series, because it was really a disappointment and shed light on the flaws of the series.

GSHC:

I found this site through the link to Atrius's editor, posted on GSR, which linked here. Atrius knew me quite well already at that point and within 2 months he selected me as the administrator to substitute while he would be gone. He came back though so now we co-administrate. lol

I started in 93 with my brothers Atari and SNES lol, i have both still, needa get some pics up for the lol

Kai Hong

I first found out about Golden Sun when I saw my dad playing it on VBA (he'd reached the Suhulla
WARNING! IT IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TO READ THIS WARNING! NOW YOU WILL DIE...eventually.

Atrius (He/Him)

I was already big into video games when the first GS came out.  I found out about it when I was searching for information on the GBA before it had even been released, it looked like an interesting game so I bought it when it came out.  When I beat it and saw "To be continued" I was clued in that there would be a sequel, but it seemed like it took forever for TLA to finally be released.

How it lead to this site...  Well, I was walking through my corn field one day when I heard a voice whisper "If you build it, they will come."  Er... Wait, no, I'm thinking of something else.  Actually, I was really big into programming fan games a couple years back, and one day the idea struck me to create a Golden Sun fan game.  When I started searching around for resources (sprites, tilesets and such) I had a really hard time finding any, so I figured the only way to get them would be to rip them myself.  It all began with this video when I found a way to swap the player's sprites with any other character's.  Not too long afterwards I began ripping sprites directly from the game's data with only partial success, eventually however I did finally succeed at my goal of ripping all of the sprites from the game (Which consequentially led to the initial discovery of this guy).  As it would turn out, however, this did not end my tinkering with GS's data as I went on to create this video messing around with various things at the beginning of TLA.

Thus far I had been focused only on extracting data from the ROM for the purpose of using it to create a fan game.  Eventually I even found item & enemy data in the ROM, and having already created a foundation of an editor for my GS fan game I thought to myself "Huh... I could probably get this to load the data directly from Golden Sun's ROM." and that is when the editor as we know it today began to come into existence.  As I neared the very first release of the editor, I created the original GSHC Invisionfree forums opening them to the public the same day as v0.1 of the editor was released.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Aile~♥

Quote from: dwkjohn on 11, June, 2011, 01:29:00 AM
but... then i saw it was only on ds and the graphics stunk in my honest opinion.

Did you just diss DD's graphics? It has easily close to the best graphics on DS anywhere. Only games that I've seen that ever beat those graphics on DS were Mario Kart and the Tales series.

Although, the out-of-battle character models for the party do indeed suck.

Hmm... How I found GS. Well, actually, a friend of mine had been given GS:TLA for his birthday at some point, and I myself already had a GBA SP. So at one point I went rooting through his bag of GBA games and found the instruction manual for TLA! Me being myself, I read through it. I then happened to randomly play it and saw that my friend's brother had already beat it. (And used a custom transfer password to give himself TWO Sol Blades, as well as ninja sandals.) Tried out the battle arena on his file for a while, then eventually asked my friend if I could borrow the game. He said "sure" and that he didn't like it anyway.

And... then I never ended up giving it back. Every time I tried he told me to just keep it. When I offered to at least PAY him for it he said it was fine. Several years later (and after the DS had come out, and I'd already bought one) I finally got the bright idea to go buy the first game.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

dwkjohn

I've only seen the commercials so there might be better graphics in the game somewhere. but I just don't like that 3d modeling look. I loved the original GS style. what was wrong with it I absolutley loved it.

and I forgot to mention how I found the site.

I had just burned through my third gameboy from playing to much GS. and my mom said I couldn't buy another one. I was mad but then I thought. hey. I wonder if I can play it online? I googled a bit and only found the saturos and menardi battle online, but I found out about vba. I was thrilled. I immediately downoaded it and golden sun. as I started playing, I notice the cheat button at the top. I was curious and googled golden sun hacking. what came up? YOU GUYS!!! I've been lovin it ever since.
thanx for accepting me into you community. I love it here!
Just sayin'.  

,-~~-.___.            Golden Sun
  /   |  '         \   Hacking Community
(     )           0              |
   \_/-, ,------'              /
      ===                     //                   
      /    \-'~;    /~~~(O)
    /    __/~|__/         |   
=(  _____| (_________|
All your internet entertainment.

Knight of Purgatory

When I bought my GBA eons ago, I saw a strange game called "Golden Sun TLA" (We bought the GBA when I was 4-5 ) We bought it(DUH!!!) and i've had it and played it through around BILLIONS of times and I still never got bored of it. I was always intrigued by the Yallam treasure chest (Masamune) as I never had GS1 To transfer the Data to TLA. (Many years later) We went to London for holiday and we went to Harrod's to buy stuff. There was a HMV (Game Store) there, and GS:DD was over there, I had to buy it, along with 5 other games, and we all lived happily ever after after buying them!
MOAR DARKNESS, MOAR COOKIES

FelixWolf

i found golden sun when i was 5-6 years old when my brother gave me a disk with the GBA emulator amd with five games(one of wich was Golden Sun The Broken Seal) i started playing it and i said to myself "This is the Best GAME!!"
after that i got internet and typed golden sun 2 and i found TLA, downloaded the rom and started playing, Some years after like at my birthday of 8 years or 10 my brother gave me a present that was the real Golden Sun The broken seal for my GBA, then i bought a dsand spent years saving money until now i bought Golden Sun Dark Dawn.Since i knew golden sun i have been pretty interested with the studies of Chemistry, Alchemy and sword wield.

Feroz

I found all about when I had a disk with gb/gbc/gba games.And then I found Golden Sun,It was very interesting but I got stuck in Sol Sanctum,but with the help of internet(Which I also dicovered Internet)I Finished it,also I downloaded Lost Age,later to find you here,And then I became a Member!!!!
I should try to help out.

Aile~♥

You got stuck... in SOL SANCTUM??? Fail.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Feroz

Hey,I did not know the game yet,you know?
I should try to help out.

Rolina

Dood... that really doesn't work as an excuse.  Gonna call bs on that claim as well.

Are you sure you didn't just take a break and forget about the game?  The puzzles aren't even hard there, the game's still holding your hand at that point.

Hoopa

Heh... Sol Sanctum... When I first got the game, I did get stuck there. Though I was like... 6. It is a bit confusing for a child.
"You seek the truth but are you able to handle it? What you find may not be what you expected... and it may ruin you in the end. Knowing that, will you continue onwards in your journey? Or will you give up and return to a life of apathy? The choice is yours..."