News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

How to make a gif?

Started by dwkjohn, 01, July, 2011, 05:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwkjohn

I am guessing this topic should go here as this is for tech stuff.

I need help making an animated gif. I googled it but nothing explaines it very well. I was planning on making my DC sprite into one and then as I worked on it, I would change it. but I would like to know how to do it in general for anything else I might need. Thanx!
Just sayin'.  

,-~~-.___.            Golden Sun
  /   |  '         \   Hacking Community
(     )           0              |
   \_/-, ,------'              /
      ===                     //                   
      /    \-'~;    /~~~(O)
    /    __/~|__/         |   
=(  _____| (_________|
All your internet entertainment.

leaf

Step 1: Get GIMP.
Step 2: Read this.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: PROFIT!
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Hoopa

The same principals could also be used in photoshop to make one iirc. If all else fails, you could use a program like unfreeze gif. Though that requires multiple images.
"You seek the truth but are you able to handle it? What you find may not be what you expected... and it may ruin you in the end. Knowing that, will you continue onwards in your journey? Or will you give up and return to a life of apathy? The choice is yours..."

Salanewt

Oh, I can probably help you out with that. I might be able to talk about what I do for this.

1: You need to make each of your sprites, or frames. You also have to save them as .gif files. Using a program like Gimp or PhotoShop can help with transparency if you want it, but you have to have a 256 colour palette for transparency to work under certain conditions. I am not actually sure about the transparency, but I have never had any success with making them transparent unless I include that restriction.

2: You get an animation program; a good free one is unFREEze, the program that Hoopa suggested.

3: Using your program, you can select multiple .gif files to use as frames, and then you alter the timing for them. Some programs should offer timing for individual frames, but others only offer timed transitions for the entire animation. If timing is only offered for the entire animation, you may have to add duplicate frames to better emulate the animation you want.

4: You compile and finish! You may have to adjust some things and remake it, but you have an animated .gif. I don't think you can open it in Paint or Gimp though, so you have to edit the individual frames if you want to make changes.

If you have any questions, you may ask whenever you need help. As for making transparency in programs like Gimp, you need to make use of masks. For others, there is an option that allows you to define a transparent colour. It really depends on the program.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

dwkjohn

gee. thanx guys. this is exactly what I needed. y'all are alot better than google.  :happy:
Just sayin'.  

/    \-'~;    /~~~(O)
    /    __/~|__/         |   
=(  _____| (_________|

dwkjohn

sorry in advance for the double post. I want this to show as a Newma/unread post. here is what I've done so far. I have yet to make it into a gif but this is what it is. it hopefully going to be felixwolf's avatar or signature. if it looks good when I'm done.

edit: and now that ilook at it I see a few transition mistakes. I'll fix them later though.
Just sayin'.  

/    \-'~;    /~~~(O)
    /    __/~|__/         |   
=(  _____| (_________|

FelixWolf

pretty good dwkjohn, althought the wolf form makes felix look a bit old XD. other than that it's pretty cool

dwkjohn

the other werewolf was too young and it doesn't look like a werewolf to me. so other than that do you think it'll work?
Just sayin'.  

/    \-'~;    /~~~(O)
    /    __/~|__/         |   
=(  _____| (_________|

FelixWolf

yeah it's cool, and i agree, for some reazon the other werewolf remind me of a mouse :o

dwkjohn

lol. I was thinking the exact same thing. weremouse RAAAR!
     )  _       _
    ( (^)-~-(^)
__,-.\_( 6 6 )__,-.___
  'M'    \   /   'M'
           <o>

.-'''''-.
    .'           `.
  :                  :
:                    :
:        _/|       :
:     =/_/        :
   `._/ |       .'
  (   /  ,|...-'
   \_/^\/||__
_/~  `""~`"` \_

Just sayin'.  

/    \-'~;    /~~~(O)
    /    __/~|__/         |   
=(  _____| (_________|

FelixWolf

Quote from: dwkjohn on 04, July, 2011, 11:22:31 PM
lol. I was thinking the exact same thing. weremouse RAAAR!
     )  _       _
    ( (^)-~-(^)
__,-.\_( 6 6 )__,-.___
  'M'    \   /   'M'
           <o>

.-'''''-.
    .'           `.
  :                  :
:                    :
:        _/|       :
:     =/_/        :
   `._/ |       .'
  (   /  ,|...-'
   \_/^\/||__
_/~  `""~`"` \_

that'd be really funny to see XD

dwkjohn

I am starting to put it together. I hope to jave it done tonight, but I have to go somewhere now.
Just sayin'.  

/    \-'~;    /~~~(O)
    /    __/~|__/         |   
=(  _____| (_________|

dwkjohn

sigh. unFREEz gif only goes to 100 frames. I have 104. >_< I tried to find another program. I found one good one out of about 7. I worked and worked. nope. iwhen you save it, it puts a huge yellow square over every frame. u can't hardly see anything. any suggestion?
Just sayin'.  

/    \-'~;    /~~~(O)
    /    __/~|__/         |   
=(  _____| (_________|

Salanewt

unFREEz is one of the best free .gif animators, but it does seem a bit limited for some animations. Your best bet would be to either buy one or lower the amount of frames that you have.

Wait, 104? Sounds like a pretty grand animation.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

dwkjohn

meh. it sounds grand. it really doesn't look that great to me. maybe y'all will like it. I'll see if I can knock of a few frames. but I wish you could edit the frame length individually. that's why there are 104 some are repeats of the same one to get the right length.
Just sayin'.  

/    \-'~;    /~~~(O)
    /    __/~|__/         |   
=(  _____| (_________|

Hoopa

Hm. Well if you want a really good gif animation program, I recommend easy gif. It converts files from all formats into an animated gif.
"You seek the truth but are you able to handle it? What you find may not be what you expected... and it may ruin you in the end. Knowing that, will you continue onwards in your journey? Or will you give up and return to a life of apathy? The choice is yours..."

dwkjohn

Gee! Thanx! it looks great! can't wait to try it out tomorrow.
Just sayin'.  

/    \-'~;    /~~~(O)
    /    __/~|__/         |   
=(  _____| (_________|