Golden Sun Hacking Community
April 26, 2017, 11:17:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Golden Sun: The Lost Age Editor V0.4 Released  (Read 18732 times)
Charon
On Probation
Veteran Member

Coins: 0

Emblems: GBA Music Expert
Clan Position: Trickster Goddess of Luna

« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2011, 01:18:20 AM »

Do you think you could copy-paste the Item shop's code and tell the game to use one of the blank arguments to redirect to the copy, and have different phrases?
View Profile
Atrius
Programmer Extraordinaire
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

Coins: 1

Emblems: Website Founder
Clan Position: Creation God of Sol

« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2011, 01:21:24 AM »

Considering Xian in GS 1 there should already be a way to change the phrases without doing anything ridiculous.

I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything
View Profile WWW
Fox
(Your name), the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 17

I am: You. (What's your name?)
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2011, 01:58:15 AM »

Golden Sun 1's Shop Type Check for the dialogues is right around here: (I found it very quickly by searching the line number in a hex editor.)

080B04FC

And the part that uses the second group (like Xian) is just below this.. at 080B051C - It loads a byte, but it is used like a Boolean/flag.

Edit: I do not believe Golden Sun 2 has this..? But I will have to check where this byte actually is soon.
Edit2: On first glance, it looks like the byte is in the Shop data. - Edit3: Located in RAM.

I have backtracked the assembly code..

02008434 = Xian's Item Shop Function Call

10 = Weapon Shop
11 = Armor Shop
12 = Item Shop

080B02BA = This is checking the shop numbers. If they are 10, 11, or 12. Then you use the alternate bank.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 04:09:11 AM by Teawater » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Isaac Isaac Isaac Isaac Mwahahaha!!!
Garet Aah! Get away from me Issac!
Isaac Why do you spell my name wrong?
Garet They said to add 's' if it's plural.
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Template maker turned lurker

Alchemist

Coins: 4

I am: wondering if we can get our clan position changed...
Clan Position: Grand Overlady of Jupiter

« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2011, 10:41:36 AM »

Hey, I didn't realize this thing had hex viewer support for Dark Dawn...  Still, can't make heads or tails of it, but still, interesting to see that you're working on adding DD in here...

View Profile WWW
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2011, 02:52:59 PM »

Try any NDS, they all show the filesystem and hex editor.

Anyway, the list of assembly coded here.
GS1:
Shop Type Upgrading
-Artifacts
-Dialogue ( (a) Shop Type and  (b) Shop number based versions.)
GS2:
Shop Type Upgrading
-Artifacts
-Dialogue ( (a) Shop Type ... but (b) might not be coded in here.)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 03:03:39 PM by Teawater » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2011, 08:58:07 AM »

While we're on lists of ASM stuff, don't forget Damage Formulas and likely added effects as well.

View Profile WWW
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2011, 01:55:24 AM »

Just a thought:  It may be a good idea to link to the latest version of the editor in the official editor thread, rather than the initial 0.4 release.

View Profile WWW
Atrius
Programmer Extraordinaire
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

Coins: 1

Emblems: Website Founder
Clan Position: Creation God of Sol

« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2011, 03:36:37 AM »

The main 0.4 version link is updated with each new fix release.  The separate links are just for convenience so that people don't have to clear their browser cache to download the new version.

I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything
View Profile WWW
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2012, 11:54:59 PM »

Sooo... it's been half a year.  Anyone who still wants to claim I'm pushing him too hard, bug off.

What updates for 0.5 do we have so far?  I mean, hell, it's been nearly 8 months.  It's about damn time for an update.

View Profile WWW
zman9000
Golden sun fan/Map Builder
Luna Clan

Lord Zed

Excellent Member

I am: A guy who just really likes golden sun

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2012, 04:51:13 AM »

sure sure role. I'd like that to. I'd also like a non buggy complete update, so I can wait.
I know he's busy, and heck. if i was working on it i wouldn't have anything even done yet due to my free time being so little with college and everything i have going on.
Yes there's one person working on this, but we can't do anything about it.

So .... if you shut up and stop whining about everything that doesn't go as fast as you want, he could be using the time working on it that he uses replying to your nagging posts...

I don't care if it takes a year to come out, i just want it done and done right!

Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx
View Profile
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2012, 05:28:53 AM »

Yes there's one person working on this, but we can't do anything about it.
Ofcourse, if we had more people actually hacking the game itself, we could probably help record a handful of stuff that Atrius can use in the process of making the editor. We already have things like shop_display, and what not displayed in the NPC code.

I once started a list of Golden Sun's functions once, but I never completed it.

Spoiler for Golden Sun 2:
I have decided it was time to create a function list for Golden Sun 2. The way this works is that I give the name of the function first (A made up one that will pretty much summarize what the function does.), and then put in parenthesis its arguments. If nothing is in the parenthesis, then there are simply no arguments. Returns are noted by the "as datatype" and/or written out. I think most functions either return nothing, or one thing. I do it this way because there are a lot of functions in this game, and it would be nice to keep things compact. Many topics already talk about many of the functions listed, so I may also put in a link to them for your convience.

Anyway, the end-goal for this topic is to help coders call functions which they need without forcing them to make it themselves- That would simply be a waste of space, now wouldn't it?

* = Needs more researching.

08014878 = rand() as Int16 //Returns a 16-bit random number.

08014DAC = ?(add_to_pointer) //What do pointers at 03000000 and 03000004 refer to?

08016CA4 = locate_char_data(character_id) as Int32 //Returns pointer to character's data (Party Member or Enemy)
08016CE4 = read_flag(flag_number) as Boolean
08016CFC = write_flag(flag_number)
08016D18 = clear_flag(flag_number)
08016D34 = toggle_flag(flag_number) as Boolean //Returns 1 if toggled on, else 0 if toggled off.
08016D5C = read_byte(flag_number) as Byte
08016D6C = write_byte(flag_number, value)
08016D7C = increment_byte(flag_number) as Byte //Returns incremented byte. (Increments by 1.)
08016D98 = decrement_byte(flag_number) as Byte //Returns decremented byte. (Decrements by 1.)
08016DB4 = read_4bit(flag_number) as Int32 //Returns 4-bit value.
08016DD0 = write_4bit(flag_number)
08016DF8 = BIOS call swi $0B - (For copying data.)
08016DFC = swi $19 (0)
08016E04 = swi $19 (1)
08016E0C =

*080B0B78 = Add Djinni
*080AE834 = Add Djinni / Raise flag in Storybook flags. (02000046)
(Party_Member (0-7), Djinni_type (0-3), Djinni (0-19)) http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=1421.0

080AEE98 = get_item(party_member, item) as Int32 //Returns Item Slot # (0-14, -1 if not in stock.)
080AEEC8 = get_item(item) as Int32 //Returns Party Member (0-7, -1 if not in stock.)

080AF148 = remove_item(party_member, item_slot) //Returns -1 for empty slot, 1 for decremented quantity, 2 for removed altogether.
080AF1C8 = remove_itema(party_member, item_slot) //Returns -1 for empty slot, 1 for decremented quantity, 2 for removed altogether. Artifact check. (Makes the item available as an artifact if it is one.)

080AF298 = remove_item(item) //Returns 0 //Searches all party members for item and removes/decrements it.
080AF2C0 = remove_itema(item) //Returns 0 //Searches all party members for item and removes/decrements it. Artifact check. (Makes the item available as an artifact if it is one.)

080AF348 = add_artifact(artifact_slot, add_quantity) //Returns quantity of artifacts of this item. (0-99)

080AF378 = add_artifact(item, add_quantity) //Returns quantity of artifacts of this item. (0-99)

080AF4B8 = psy_check(party_member, ability) as Boolean //Returns True if s/he has the ability.

080AF6F4 = add_ability(party_member, ability) //Returns an ability_slot

080AFDBC = party_members() as Int32 (0-8) //Returns how many party members are currently in your team.
080AFDD8 = add_party_member(party_member) as Int32 //Returns new number of members in team.
080AFE1C = remove_party_member(party_member) as Int32 //Returns new number of members in team.
080AFE78 = copy_party_members(address) as Int32 //Returns number of members in team. Note: address is where to copy them to. (16-bit spaced.)
080AFEB0 = *unknown(number_to_add) as Int32 //Returns added number. (0 - 999999) More research needed on 02000250.
080AFED4 = *unknown(number_to_add) as Int32 //Returns added number. (0 - 999999) More research needed on 02000378.
080AFF00 = *unknown(number_to_add) as Int32 //Returns added number. (0 - 28) More research needed on 0200037C.
080AFF28 =

080D2414 = psy_check(party_member_and_ability) // 00003C00 = party member, 000003FF = ability; Returns -3 (PC does not have ability), -2 (PC not in party), -1 (PC8+), 0 (PC has ability)
080D2454 = shortcut_update_clear() //If you don't have characters with these psys, then the shortcut(s) are cleared.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 05:32:01 AM by Teawater » Logged

View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2012, 04:52:41 PM »

I've brought this up to Atrius several times, and every time he's shot down the idea of a team working on it, zman.  You may be newer here, so you won't really remember, we once had to wait over a year for an update.  I'll be blunt - this is bullshit.  Minecraft, back when it was only being done by one person, still had a much faster rate of updates.  But it's been 8 months now, and nothing.

There comes a time when 'having a job' and 'working for the military' just doesn't cut it anymore - so I'm not whining.  I'm just sick of waiting.  I've waited for nearly three freaking years, and we can still barely do @#$% with this thing.  I think it's time we started getting more regular updates, like he promised us he'd give us LAST time he pulled this.

So stop bitching about me calling him out on the lack of updates.  He told us he'd never do this again after the bullshit that was the wait for 0.3, and yet here we are again.  I've got a damn good right to do this - I've made plenty of efforts to speed things along otherwise, from suggesting a team, to dropping hints, to the occasional direct question, and now after 8 more months of jack @#$% and ignored PMs, I'm getting sick of being in the planning stage still, and am making a public fuss.  I want to actually be able to do something respectable with the editor, zman.

You may be happy making silly stat changes and immature language options for the default game, but some of us actually want to make something new.  You haven't been here waiting from the start like some of us have, and haven't have to deal with the bullshit wait times.

It's time something started happening with this editor.  And I want Atrius himself to come and defend this, not some punk @#$ kid who hasn't been here from the start of the site.

Atrius needs to either make a team, or start actually putting out.  I've been patient long enough - we're now 2 console generations behind, have had a sequel come out, have been waiting so long we developed the site in a totally different direction, introducing clans and stuff despite Atrius wishes against such a thing because there's NOTHING TO @#$%&*! DO HERE.  The point of the site is the editor, and without anything being done, all we can do is twiddle our thumbs and give off a bunch of "You know, it'd be cool if we can do this"es.  Well yeah, it'd be cool if we could do it.  We discussed that back when this was an invisionfree forum!

So don't you dare tell me to shut up, zman.  I've waited for over three @#$%&*! years, I've not made a big deal, only dropping one or two "can we have a status update"s from time to time, with I think one big deal made when 0.3 hit the @#$%&*! 1 year dev point.  I'm sick of this bullshit, and I want something to be done.  We have at least two other people here who can work with the code, so it's time for Atrius to either man up and put out or it's time to get a team together.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 04:54:18 PM by Role » Logged

View Profile WWW
Claros Flamestrike
Of the Vibrant Life
Mars Clan

Living vibrantly since 1989.™

I am: cringing so hard, I think my face is stuck like this forever. Thanks, 2011 version of me! >_< lmao

« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2012, 06:24:41 PM »

You know what?  Despite the anger and rage in Role's post, (however needed it is), I totally agree.  We did get promises and reassurances that there would be updates every couple of months.  And yes, Atrius, I understand that you're busy.  (I mean, I can't even set time aside to work on one of the "immature language" hacks of the game, let alone actually do something USEFUL with this tool!)  That's part of life.  But another part of life is knowing when you can't do something on your own and need help from your friends.  I may not actually know anyone here, nor do I claim to regularly interact with anyone outside the forum, but I like to think of this website as a place I can go to get ideas and criticism from people whom I can actually put up with.  Role and I may have had a bad start, but I know for a fact that even that has been left behind in light of all of us PULLING TOGETHER, even as an internet community.  I submitted some ideas for the community hack, and I've chatted with people through forum posts about random crap that I do with the game.  That kind of collaboration is fine, but it's limited.  Now, if I were to get even one other person to help with my extensive hack that I'm doing, then it would be easy peasy; it'd get done WAY faster than if I worked on it alone.

I guess the long and short of it is this: it's a bit childish and naive to keep the Editor's progress solely under your workload.  It doesn't make sense!  Like Role said, there's at least a couple people who would be more than willing and able to help with future updates.  If you're afraid that they'll just take over the project and start releasing the source code or some crap, then man up and assert yourself!  You are not only the creator of this tool, you are the administrator of its progress.  If you don't take steps to get on a regular release schedule, then people are going to leave the site and lose interest.  If getting on a regular, consistent release schedule means teaming up with other people who have the same passions for the game and coding, in general, then so be it.  Where is it etched in diamond that you, and ONLY you, can work on this?  Lighten your own load, man!

And, gods forbid, if you're keeping the Editor's work to yourself with the excuse, "It's MY project," then you shouldn't have made a community for it.  You're a smart guy, from what I gather.  Surely you knew that people would want to work on it at some point, whether with you or on their own.  It may be a tool with TONS of potential and already a good amount of applications, but it's just a program; what would you lose from letting other people work on it?

I've said my piece, and then some.  If you really want people to stay interested in the site and your Editor, Atrius, then figure out some way of giving them at LEAST screenshots of the progress that you're making.  For me, just knowing that there's SOMETHING going on, even behind the scenes, is enough.

- 2br02b
View Profile WWW
Misery
Bad Luck

Great Member

Coins: 2

Clan Position: Mercury Hack Leader

« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2012, 07:07:32 PM »

Atrius isn't stopping anyone from making their own editor, nor could he if he wanted. AFAIK he hasn't even turned down anyone actually capable of helping with the editor offering to do so. The lack of updates obviously means there is nothing of interest to report, and the content of your posts ultimately boils down to "we want an editor update", which is just spam. And you're making it sound like he has some kind of obligation to work on it.

It would be such a shame to abandon this project after getting this far, which is why I'm convinced he'd be working on it if he didn't have more important things to do. While it's true that he hasn't posted the promised status reports, you're the ones who should be apologizing this time.
View Profile
zman9000
Golden sun fan/Map Builder
Luna Clan

Lord Zed

Excellent Member

I am: A guy who just really likes golden sun

« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2012, 07:29:40 PM »

actually role, i know about it all. the long update, and also why you can't really have more then one person work on it and still be effective.
he could make a team but they would have to be IRL if it were to help speed up the project.

I get why your mad. but adding a comment stating what you have said a billion times isn't going to make it go faster... heck, if you kept doing that to me I'd make it take longer... luckily Atrius is a nice guy when it comes to harassment... apparently... lol

Also I think your to stressed out role... need to take a chill pill... take a cat nap... or something.

so I beleve this sums up your posts

OMFGWTFBBQRAGEMOFO hurry up damn it JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA
The translation might be off but I think I'm close ;)

And if your wondering why I'm picking a fight, its because
my life sucks, I'm in a bad mood, and unlike every other day on here, I DON'T FEEL LIKE PUTTING UP WITH HER SH*T TODAY! (I think I caught some of that BBQRAGE

Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx
View Profile
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
Today at 10:07:39 PM
Lord Squirtle: But what I was thinking of doing with the unused effects was figuring out which ones are still available and combining them; averaging out the differences between each one so they make up for the ones that are missing.
Today at 10:05:36 PM
Lord Squirtle: I may consider moving the effects to the end of the effect list, since I moved the pointer table and added some empty space on the end. My main concern with that is that it would be far less user friendly.
Today at 08:06:20 PM
Fox: Heh... Starting to make me want to add the Ability Editor to my own Editor now... So I can do that, and have chance values listed for each and every one. (So it is more specific than Atrius's editor.)
Today at 08:03:06 PM
Fox: Well, 0-255.
Today at 08:02:53 PM
Fox: The max probably being 255.
Today at 08:00:09 PM
Fox: (@Editor modification: In which case, I would recommend adding support up to the maximum number for future purposes.... if at all reasonably possible.)
Today at 07:53:50 PM
Fox: @Disabling them: It kinda would be a trade-off for those who want to use those effects that went unused.... ...  I have a suggestion, though... and it might be rather interesting. But have you thought about using one of the unused flags to like... switch out Effect lists? (So you can have your own if you don't want to modify the editor.) I imagine it is rather unnecessary, though. Since it is easy enough to extend the list with a quick editor modification.
Today at 04:46:01 PM
Lord Squirtle: And elements too from the looks of things.
Today at 04:44:05 PM
Lord Squirtle: Makes me wonder how much work it would take to add more djinn slots.
Today at 04:30:45 PM
Lord Squirtle: Well, total - 1.
Today at 04:30:13 PM
Lord Squirtle: Huh, neat. I think I found the part of the djinn battle menu code that decides how many djinn of each element exist.
Today at 02:53:07 PM
Lord Squirtle: I should probably look into disabling the multiplier chance for those now that I think about it.
Today at 02:52:17 PM
Lord Squirtle: I still am, but mainly because it doesn't look like there are any abilities that use those effects.
Today at 12:48:53 PM
Fox: Given what they effects are, though... (When they are useful)... it might not hurt too much. but wondered if making a note of it would have been a good idea.
Today at 12:37:34 PM
Fox: Are you still using effects 39-41,43 ? Asking because http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=2448.msg41739#msg41739 - Those effects are used for something else, and I wonder if you accommodated for that?
Today at 04:33:09 AM
Lord Squirtle: Will check this out tomorrow because I have no idea why it isn't being consistent with me.
Today at 04:26:16 AM
Lord Squirtle: AND IT TURNS OUT I MAY NOT HAVE FIXED ANYTHING. Huh.
Today at 03:00:14 AM
Lord Squirtle: Oh, um, apparently I have to double check one of the calculations I thought I fixed because it's giving me the correct value but negative.
Today at 02:45:58 AM
Lord Squirtle: Looks like I left in a bug with the debuffs wearing off early, so after I fix that I will upload a patch; I will likely not add AI checks until I make more progress on my AI reforms though.
Today at 02:41:37 AM
Lord Squirtle: Haha, wow I really botched one of the Intellect buff calculations! Nothing too major at least, it only resulted in a text bug. 

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise