News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

The Custom Boss Thread

Started by Aile~♥, 05, July, 2011, 04:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aile~♥

[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Salanewt

I do have difficult versions of some of the original bosses, but it would be too hard to beat them because of what I have done to the characters since then. Then again, I could use the Disco Sun patch on a clean game to get those bosses back.

As for bosses themselves, are pictures and stat tables/summaries acceptable? I wouldn't mind posting some of the information that I do have, in case I never added these bosses to Disco Sun until after v0.2.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Aile~♥

Pictures and stat tables? Sure, go ahead.

But seeing them in action is much more fun!

Salanewt

Cool, thanks, and I agree. Anyway, my revamped Aqua Hydra's stats (the Disco Sun v0.2 Aqua Hydra):

It used to have two turns, but it was pretty much impossible to beat without a major amount of grinding. I will see if I can get a savestate up later, as it turns out that this boss did make it onto the 0.2 patch before I stopped working on that hack. I think I will start working on it again though...

Edit: Please note, this hack was being worked on before text editing could be done with the editor. As such, the name would probably have been different.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

leaf

If anyone wants to challenge themselves, try some of these out. I'll guarantee you that all of them are possible, even though Djarl and the Cursed Statue may seem impossible at first. Those two are meant to be puzzle bosses. The Doom Dragon is only changed in the first and second forms, and was meant to simulate another idea I had for a two-part boss fight, but it really needs a cutscene between them where all djinn get put into recovery. For now, you can fight it as an improved Doom Dragon fight.

76:1 King Scorpion (Tager)
302:3 Star Magician (Djarl)
16:1 Chestbeaters (Cursed Statue)
297:1 Doom Dragon

The numbers correspond to the room number when using the debug warp menu. Access by pressing B+start with the code 03001238:01 active. Note that for the King Scorpion/Tager, you won't get a chance to prep your party if you go straight to that location. Also, it seems that the Star Magician's balls are hardcoded into his fight, so I had to take a creative solution to deal with that. Just treat that fight as if they aren't there.

I've included the ips and a battery file. These bosses are meant to be fought with a lv40 party, but there are no restrictions on equipment - as long as it's possible in the normal game. I've included several equipment choices as is, but you may want to add in some other stuff using the TLA savegame editor. Just no ninja sandals, divine camisole, etc. Only one sol blade. You know the deal. You can have limitless equipment from drops and forging.

Oh yeah, and for the people who try this, when you figure out how to beat Djarl and the Cursed Statue, could you please keep quiet about it until everyone's gotten a chance to try that wants to? Some of you will get it almost immediately, while others might take a bit longer. I'd like to let everyone have that experience of figuring it out on their own. ;)

edit: Made a slight fix to the cursed statue.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Aile~♥

Just lost to Tager. Completely invincible. That is all.

Am liking the Doom Dragon fight, though. 'cept you're forced into spamming guard Djinn if you want to even have a chance.

leaf

Invincible? Nah. But he does do REAL SOVIET DAMAGE! If you're having trouble, try a new strategy. He's actually easier than Djarl, imo. All of these bosses are definitely beatable, though.

I'm pretty sure doom dragon is beatable without resorting to barrier spam, although there may be points where you're definitively placed on the defensive and need to focus on recouping.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Aile~♥

REAL SOVIET DAMAGE! ...um, wut.

BTW, in the fight against Doom Dragon, Eddy is your friend.

Hoopa

All of the bosses aren't too bad once you figure out how to fight them. Except Djarl. Toxic flow... is a major pain.
"You seek the truth but are you able to handle it? What you find may not be what you expected... and it may ruin you in the end. Knowing that, will you continue onwards in your journey? Or will you give up and return to a life of apathy? The choice is yours..."

Aile~♥

I'm presently working on a puzzle boss to replace Briggs (needed the Sea Fighter and Clarion Cry to make Efreet). It's called the Spooky Specter.

I'm also working on rebalancing Efreet to work with one of my other hacks (in which you don't get any class changes). Problem is, he's just too powerful right now! He two-hit KO'd the entire party except Jenna!

Only, I can't work on them right NOW cause I'm stuck using a Mac.

Rolina

@Cursed Statue:

Okay, first - forcing the use of djinn isn't making something hard - it's called bad game design.  Puzzle boss or not, it shouldn't EVER be doing 3K+ damage.  Forcing someone to constantly spam djinn may fit with your play style, sure - I bet you think it's easy.  But for most of us?  Not so much.  Furthermore, it's long been understood that Djinn Storm is naught but artificial difficulty.  Unless the whole point of the fight is a battle at greatly depleted power, you should never be going higher than Djinn Blast.

The point of a puzzle boss is that it's cripplingly hard if you fight normal, stupidly easy if you know the trick.  By forcing even the best of barrier djinn to drop damage down to the 300s, you proved that your cursed statue idea kinda fails.  A puzzle boss should still be beatable on normal mode even if you're not using the One Strategy to Rule Them All - it's not until Hard or Insane difficulties that you should be absolutely forced to use one strategy or die.  Instead, you decided to make it impossible or a joke - that's not good game design, leaf.  That's far from it, to be honest.  This kind of thing may amuse you, you may think it's funny, but the problem is that you're not representative of the average player.  To force a strategy in this way is not something I condone.  Instead, weaken it so that the party can still survive a hit... on normal mode.

As I said, it's not until at least hard mode that you should force strategies.  Double Pure Wish SHOULD have been able to save someone there.  Dealing 1.5x max possible HP cap, on the other hand, is what we call a dick move.  It's something you don't do.

@Tager:

Again, stop forcing the use of djinn.  You're catering only to your own personal play style.  That is not a way to make a game, leaf.  That's a way to piss people off.  You're forcing people to adopt your own personal djinn-heavy play style.  While Djinn should be a factor, they shouldn't be THE factor, leaf.  You may think it's a fun hard boss.  I THINK IT'S BORING.  I'm guessing the next two are going to be just as predictable as this one.  I mean, hell.  I used the same damn pattern over a 3 turn cycle until the guy dropped dead.  Surely you can do better than this, Leaf.  Hell, I actually got it down to a mere 2 turn cycle...  Repeating ad nauseum...

If you force djinn, your force their abuse.  And then everything is piss easy and boring.

@Djarl:

STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT!  Same djinn heavy strategy!  SAME GOD DAMNED STRATEGY!  I had to change ONE part of my strategy to account for his gimmick, other than that, you continue to force djinn to ridiculous levels.  It's not fun leaf.  It's boring when I have to do the same thing over and over again.  I'm not even going to bother with the doom dragon - I'm just going to bed.  I doubt I'll be missing out on much, after all.

Aile~♥

Forcing the use of Djinn works to an extent. For example, were you to port my Ghost Mind boss into regular GS, you'd never get past it without Petra and Ground. Even in my hack, it takes Mud to make possible to consistently hit the boss. But there's a difference between forcing the use of Djinn and forcing the abuse of Djinn.

If you want a PROPER puzzle boss, it's not about forcing repetitive use of Djinn as much as it is about forcing the use of the right Djinn or status effect at the right time.

leaf

@Role: Sorry if you didn't enjoy them, but did you ever stop to consider that maybe I'm not designing these bosses for "normal" mode? The cursed statue has 999 atk. You aren't playing normal mode; you're playing a pre-rendered hard mode. If you figured out the trick, djinn storm should never be an issue. Djinn storm is actually there to stop a very specific strategy from working.

Oh yeah... and ask hoopa how he beat these bosses. He didn't need to use barrier djinn at all. The cursed statue and djarl fights are the only ones that explicitly require djinn to win, but none of them require barrier djinn. Barrier djinn are probably the easiest way to win, but if that's too boring for you, try fighting without them.

edit: Just noticed I never replied to this.

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 06, July, 2011, 03:27:36 PM
REAL SOVIET DAMAGE! ...um, wut.
Just in case you didn't notice, that wasn't an underline when I said that; it was a link to a youtube vid explaining the reference =p
[spoiler=quotes]
---
---
---
---
---
---