News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Super Mario: The Golden Star

Started by Salanewt, 31, October, 2010, 09:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salanewt

It has been a while, so I have a quick note about this hack. It now goes by the name of "Super Mario: The Golden Star" to replace Disco Sun. Oh, and some things.

Characters (in order of Isaac to Piers):

Mario - Mars - Isaac's sprite
Luigi - Jupiter - Garet's sprite
Daisy - Venus - Jenna's sprite
Bowser - Mars - Felix' sprite
DK - Venus - Piers' sprite
Peach - Mercury - Mia's sprite
Toad - Jupiter - Sheba's sprite (female Toad)
Yoshi - Mercury - Ivan sprite

So, any suggestions? I am going to upload a patch once I make a few more tweaks with DK, Peach and Toad. I still have quite a bit to do with classes, including to duplicate all of the existing classes to use as temporary replacements. Toad is subject to change of character, and I will wait for a while before doing work with Yoshi's classes.

Oh, and the story is that Mario and co. have to find the first star to come to existance in the Mushroom Kingdom. It is supposed to be the most powerful star, and he has to find it before Bowser. Of course, since Bowser ends up joining the team, this means that someone else ends up getting the star.

Have a nice day.

Oh yes, I might ask for a few savestates when I upload the patch, just as something that can be done in someone's spare time. I will talk more about these once I upload the patch.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Aile~♥

Can you see the sprites? Can you change them?

I mean, you could fix the sprites and stuff, and that'd be awesome.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Salanewt

I can see the sprites, though I was unable to see the Chestbeater sprite before I changed it because of the compression format.

Also, a new psynergy.

Sweet Kiss
PP 5
Learned at level 5
Heals 20 HP, cures Poison

And this is one of Peach's basic healing spells. As she uses the bonuses from Mia's base classes, I suppose that she is more of a healer (not to mention other games that she has been in, like Super Mario RPG).

Now, any more suggestions before I upload what I have?

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Salanewt

Hey, could someone please test this for me? I want to see what people need when starting the game, since I am starting to think that taking Felix/DK's Cure away might have made the beginning too hard without leveling up (on top of the class separating patch, which means that I need to create more classes to use). I only need someone to write a short point-form summary of their playthrough, and I only need everything up to arriving in Madra.

Some notes:

DK: Lvl 4
Peach: Lvl 2
Toad: Lvl 1

New psynergy (both single target):
Sweet Kiss, 3 PP, Heals 20 HP, learned by Peach at level 5, No attribute.
Mind Blast, 6 PP, Damage multiplier of 18, learned by Toad at level 1, Jupiter attribute.

Advice: Get as many Mushrooms as you can, since Sweet Kiss is a weak healing spell and does not work well in battle (it can be used in battle, but I would not rely on it too often). I would also suggest buying antidotes, since Toad does not learn Cure Poison until level 8 (item soon to be renamed). Another reminder, but more classes have to be made so the second party can change. Because of this, I suggest that you keep Venus djinn on DK, Mercury on Peach, and keep the rest on standby.

Thank you in advance, whoever plays/tests it.

Have a nice day.

Also, sorry for double posting, but my last post was yesterday (and considering that this is an update to my hack, it should be acceptable).

Edit: I have removed this patch, because I have an updated version available in my most recent post.

SSBMX

You should add some screen shots or something

Salanewt

Hey, that sounds like a good idea. I think I will wait until an actual release has been made though, this is just an alpha version for testing.

Have a nice day.

leaf

If no one tests this by the end of the week, I might. Not making any promises, though.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Salanewt

Whenever it can be done is fine, as well as whoever decides to do it. My best guess is that it should only take anywhere from 25-60 minutes to finish, so I might do it myself if nobody else can do it within the next two weeks. I am making more revisions right now, so I suppose I should explain what I plan on having in the end.

Currently, DK is the main hero. However, the final product will revolve around Mario being the first PC gained, causing him to get more members as the story goes on. In order to save the world, Mario has to find the first Power Star to come into existence. Mind you, there will be a few kingdoms within the game, not just the Mushroom Kingdom (the world map is large enough, so I figure that I have enough space for a few other places).

Another quick note for those of you who are interested. Toad is part Jupiter, but he only learns a few moves right now. DK starts as a "spellsword" type with his stat modifiers, but his higher classes make him into a warrior build. I might give Toad a better defence level, now that I think about it. He keeps getting KO'ed in several battles.

Have a nice day.

Edit: Another quick note. While names hardly matter, it is funny to read the prologue text before you start playing, as it turns out that DK and Peach are brother and sister (it shall be changed later).

Edit 2: Here is version 0.1. Toad is a bit more useful than in my demo, although I suggest that nobody goes past Briggs for the playthrough (so basically, the only three bosses should be the Chestbeaters, King Scorpion, and Briggs). Sequence breaking is fine, but I only need advice for everything up to and before Gondowan.

Aile~♥

The enemies do lots of damage and have a ton of health, and DK and co. do comparatively little damage. The fact that the Goombas can poison you doesn't help matters. At least you don't have to worry about it once Peach reaches level 5.

So far, after beating the Chestbeaters, the strongest moves available to the party are Peach's Ice and Toad's Swift.

Salanewt

Oh yeah, the party used to be stronger until I converted them. Of course, I have done little to the enemies since then (I mean, enemies near Mars Lighthouse were able to have over 1000 HP). I am going to do quite a bit with the enemy groups soon though, so I might move almost all enemies to later sections. I can keep Goomba, Boo (not renamed in that version), and some other enemies around there, but I might relocate enemies like Wild Wolf and Punch Ant.

Thanks for testing it! Oh yeah, I have done quite a bit more since that patch, although it is nice to hear the input. I also forgot to mention, but Peach should get Ply at level 9. Of course, I did not end up getting that until shortly before King Scorpion (and the two Prince Scorpions, ouch).

Oh, and Peach should get Charm at level 35, but this currently has no use (I am quite interested in finding out how I can give it one though).

Thanks again for playing it!

Have a nice day.

Aile~♥

In most Mario RPGs, Goombas die in, at most, two regular attacks. As soon as they appear. This means I ought to be able to hit a Goomba with level 2 Peach and level 1 Toad's regular attacks and have the stupid thing die.

Also, why does DK learn Growth? I'm going to quickly take a look at DK's classes, and then make some suggestions.

Why are you still following GS's original mechanics as far as DK's class goes? There's no reason to, since you're not doing so for Toad. (Mind Blast is a multiplier, which are normally unavailable for base classes.) For DK's class, switch Ransack with Mad Dash, which looks pretty much the same but does 35 more damage. (Upgrading from 20 to 35 is just pitiful. Upgrading from 20 to 70 looks much better from a GS standpoint.) Additionally, Claw Attack and Ransack do not have a PP cost. Was this intentional?

Allow me to also point out that the only weapon DK has ever used canonically is boxing gloves. As such, why the heck does he use swords and axes? Additionally, the only piece of chest armour DK has ever used is a tie. That, and I can't imagine DK in a travel vest or armour.

You said you haven't done much to the enemies. The enemies have increased HP, increased Attack, and have started casting spells at me. The Chestbeaters originally had about 150 HP each. Now they have 265 HP each.

Salanewt

QuoteIn most Mario RPGs, Goombas die in, at most, two regular attacks. As soon as they appear. This means I ought to be able to hit a Goomba with level 2 Peach and level 1 Toad's regular attacks and have the stupid thing die.

You have a point, though I admit that they are much weaker now. I still have to upload my latest patch.

QuoteAlso, why does DK learn Growth? I'm going to quickly take a look at DK's classes, and then make some suggestions.

To associate him with the Jungle, but I am likely to remove it. He also learns the Quake set (at least in my patch).

QuoteWhy are you still following GS's original mechanics as far as DK's class goes? There's no reason to, since you're not doing so for Toad. (Mind Blast is a multiplier, which are normally unavailable for base classes.) For DK's class, switch Ransack with Mad Dash, which looks pretty much the same but does 35 more damage. (Upgrading from 20 to 35 is just pitiful. Upgrading from 20 to 70 looks much better from a GS standpoint.) Additionally, Claw Attack and Ransack do not have a PP cost. Was this intentional?

Ah, you have a point, thanks. Just a note though, but Claw Attack has been renamed to Fist Attack. Oh, and the 0PP is intentional, since DK does not need any psynergy/magic to use it. Of course, I might just rename it PS, for a Personal Strength stat or something. For mechanics, I am going to change DK in a bit.

QuoteAllow me to also point out that the only weapon DK has ever used canonically is boxing gloves. As such, why the heck does he use swords and axes? Additionally, the only piece of chest armour DK has ever used is a tie. That, and I can't imagine DK in a travel vest or armour.

If you think about it, there are rarely swords and axes in any Mario game. The most are rods and hammers, as well as gloves or even Koopa shells. I have been too lazy to rename them yet, but I shall do so soon. Same with the armour, almost all of it will be renamed sometime soon.

QuoteYou said you haven't done much to the enemies. The enemies have increased HP, increased Attack, and have started casting spells at me. The Chestbeaters originally had about 150 HP each. Now they have 265 HP each.

I did not do very much since changing it from Disco Sun, but I changed almost every used enemy (and then some) for Disco Sun. The PCs were also stronger back then.

Edit: If you read this, I might as well give an example of what I meant. You know how Aka Manah appears at Mars Lighthouse? I initially gave him 1184 HP, 655 Attack, 324 Agility, and 32 Luck.

So great, thanks for your input! If you have any more, feel free to tell me. Also, I might upload another patch tonight, since I have done a bit more for enemies (we now have Koopas, for example).

Have a nice day.

Salanewt

I might as well upload another patch, since I have updated it quite a bit since my last upload. I also have some snapshots for it, which should be interesting enough.

Major Changes:

The Swordsman class set has been duplicated, and is usable by Party 2 (or at least by DK). Some changes will be made to it later though. Toad also has a complete set of Base classes. Both the Pupil and Monkey class sets are likely to have a few more spells in the future.

Yoshi has been switched with Bowser, so you get a Fire user in your party before Party 1 joins you. Yoshi is now in Party 1.

Minor Changes:

Mad Plants are now known as Piranha Plants (and there are several other name changes too, most of which I will not reveal right now).
Nuts heal PP now, to go along with how they are used in the M&L games.

Known Bugs/Issues:
Life Shroom is a Single-use item in battle, but multiple use item out of battle. I am not sure how to fix this. I might as well explain that it uses Half-life, a spell that revives a unit to 50% of their maximum HP.

Changes for the future:
Koopa Troop enemies will be a bit stronger in the future, I just changed their names and sprites before making the patch.

If you have any questions or input, feel free to ask me.

Have a nice day.

Salanewt

And so I bring out the new 0.2, since nobody downloaded the last one (but I understand why). I might call it 0.2.5, now that I think about it.

Changes: Apojii = Yoshi's Island, everyone (aside from the Innkeeper, the Inn's "Cyan Yoshi," and the Shopkeeper) has been changed. I will keep most of this a secret for now, but I am uploading a savestate for that region. The lady on the bed required quite a bit of work, by the way.

Also, the regular walking speed has been reduced. As such, you will walk a bit slower in towns and dungeons, unless you run.

Known Glitches:

- A "Yoshi" will jump into a tree on Yoshi's Island.

- Game can not play without using a Savestate.

- Life Shrooms do not always work in battle, and they have infinite uses when not in battle.

0.2.5: http://www.mediafire.com/?4rsm5jpdv5xpq6z
New File Savestate: http://www.mediafire.com/?6z5j07oj0ubwnin - To the very beginning of the Title Screen.
Yoshi's Island Savestate: http://www.mediafire.com/?nm6j1544jld0huv - A building has to be entered

Future plans: Change party, so the player controls Mario instead of DK. New weapons, such as the Hammer. Implement Jumping (that's right, I am going to try to implement Jumping into my hack). Make Yoshi join at Yoshi's Island (or near there at least). Weaken most enemies, since the enemies on the seas are excrutiatingly difficult if you are below level 20.

Thank you in advance for testing it for me.

Have a nice day.

Edit: Nobody was changed in the Sanctuary either.

Atrius (He/Him)

Eh?  Game cannot play without savestate?  My ears are bleeding after hearing what happened to some of the music?  What happened here, the editor didn't do this did it?
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Aile~♥

No it did not. I'm fairly sure he attempted ASM hacking, and failed it miserably by not having done enough research into what bits of code control what before editing them.

Salanewt

The audio was always like that, meaning that the original ROM was probably a poorer version or something (or that the person who tried to upload it made an error). As for the assembly, the only thing that I changed was the walking speed, which is a single value. However, I was having problems with starting the game before I made that change. It might have had something to do with editing a lady's script though. You know the one that walks in a backwards "L" shape in a house? I relocated her and changed her destination coordinates, so her movement is a bit different. Wait... Does anybody have problems when moving people on and off the beach, or onto a barrel of apples (the beach should not cause too many problems, but trying to move them onto barrels of apples would make the editor crash)? Also, what of the amount of text? I increased the amount of text for pretty much every character on that island. For example, several characters had an increase from 2-3 lines of text to 5-9.

QuoteNo it did not. I'm fairly sure he attempted ASM hacking, and failed it miserably by not having done enough research into what bits of code control what before editing them.

Not quite, but I have been doing research into it. Oh well, everything seems to work near the beginning aside from being unable to start, so I can use the savestate method for now. Of course, there was the one value that I changed. Instead of walking at a speed of x80, Felix/DK/Mario (DK right now, Mario later) now walks at a speed of x68. I do not see how this should cause errors though.

Have a nice day.

Aile~♥

You may want to use a better quality ROM, then. Or make sure to create all your patches using the same ROM. Or make sure not to patch your new patch over a ROM with an old version on it. And especially don't upload the result of the above-mentioned epic fail for everyone else to use.

Salanewt

QuoteYou may want to use a better quality ROM, then. Or make sure to create all your patches using the same ROM. Or make sure not to patch your new patch over a ROM with an old version on it. And especially don't upload the result of the above-mentioned epic fail for everyone else to use.

1: It was the best that I could find at the time (uploading hardware is broken), and I have not been able to find a better copy. I also want to be careful of viruses, and the sites which can not be named were really bad at times for viral infections.
2: I do.
3: I don't (or at least, I make sure that it happens, but I do not normally see that it is a different version until I try a second time).
4: It is pretty good, it is just the audio that has been messed up. Speaking of which, the audio is pretty messed up when I apply other patches, such as yours. I am about 9999.9% sure that my ROM has something wrong with it. As for the inability to start up, I would imagine that I have to check the functions to make it work again. It is actually a good hack so far from what I have been told by some people (namely, thenightsshadow), minus these problems. I also released it as 0.2.5 because it is another beta version (or would it be alpha?), and I just wanted someone to test some things for me so they could offer suggestions/remind me of other bugs. As such, I would not call it an epic fail, especially without at least trying it out or making suggestions for the plot/characters/settings. That is also why I uploaded the savestates. Of course, if you have suggestions as to how I can fix those two major problems, I would be happy to hear or read about them.

I thank you for your advice though. Unfortunately, I have done too much in my hack to want to start over now. Besides, I am going to replace all of the instruments eventually, and change the audio in such a way as that it sounds more like Mario music than Golden Sun. The static is not here to stay for too many more versions, and neither is the inability to start. VBA also has a mute option, which works for blocking it out if necessary (and it isn't like I have added any new audio either).

Have a nice day.

Aile~♥

I never said you had epic failed. I said that patching your new patch over a ROM with an old version on it would be an epic fail. So there I go phrasing things badly again, huh? Go me! DX