News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Helpful Info for Golden Sun Hacking Topic

Started by Salanewt, 12, July, 2011, 08:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salanewt

Hello everyone! Today, I am going to post some links to topics that may help you understand a few aspects of Atrius' editor, or Golden Sun hacking in general. Some of these are a bit old (at least one or two of them were posted back in 2008), so it is only fair that we shine a bit of light on these treasures again, right? I will try to organize them by category, but this is more of a general selection than one aimed for specific purposes. I will credit/mention both the original topic creator and the one who supplies information in each little description.

---Debug/Beta Stuff---

Golden Sun Save State Encyclopedia

Golden Sun TLA Save State Encyclopedia

Notice: Most of the saves give max status require VisualBoyAdvanceM[956] to be opened. 1.7 or 1.8 will not be able to open them.

Ever wanted to be able to go absolutely anywhere in the game, but didn't want to have to play through the game just so you could test? Thanks to Styx, we have compilations of savestates for both games, allowing you to go pretty much wherever you want.

Newly Discovered Debug Menus

Notice: For GS1, the cheat that you use is 03001F54:01.

A little while ago, Atrius figured out how to swap existing menus with debug menus! That later brought the ability to use a simple cheat to activate them. This is quite useful for accessing every room in the game, playing around with story flags, or even walking through walls!

GS:TLA save game editor

Thankfully for powered_by_tux, we have access to a save game editor that can be used in combination with the debug warp menu to test almost every section of the game quickly and easily, with exactly the equipment, djinn, and summons that you want to test or use.

Hidden Data

A topic from back in 2008, it documents the majority of the unused stuff that can be found in Golden Sun; The Lost Age. This should help as a reference to what made it into the game and what is unused, in case you want to use it.

Remove Camera Boundaries

A topic made shortly after this one's creation, there is a code here that allows the camera to stay on Felix (or whoever else is the leader) at all times!

---Music Stuff---

Golden Sun Music editing; The Elf Method

Notice: This is a bit more advanced than some of this other stuff; requires Hex editing.

If you want to learn how to change the sound effects/music in the games, you can use this guide that has been provided to us by Charon. This guide works for several other GBA games too, but it is explained with the use of a tile viewer like Tile Molester. There is more useful stuff in this topic, so why not browse to see what you can find?

Midi instruments in GS:TLA

Another topic posted by Charon, this is a list of most of the instruments available in Golden Sun: The Lost Age (if not all). This does not include instruments that are added to the game, just instruments that can be found in an unmodified version of the ROM.

---Sprite and Animation Stuff---

Image Palettes

Have you ever wanted to make some GS sprites, but were not sure if they would work? Atrius posted the main palette(s) that are used in the game. It would be best to use this for any new sprites that you may create!

Animation Index/Arguments List

Have you ever tried to find a special animation, but never felt like testing different values for hours to find it? This lovely list compiled by Sajin should give the animation value + argument, allowing you to use pretty much every animation in the game!

---Class Stuff---

Class System Hacking Topic

This topic was originally created by Role for research into the class system, and then Atrius posted this useful tidbit on how the elements work in the game. This is something that you should think about when creating classes.

Separation Patch Guide

Originally posted by yours truly, this should help you better understand how the class separation patch should be used and how it works.

---Map Stuff---

Party member adding/removing

Notice: This is a bit more advanced than some of this other stuff; requires Hex editing.

This was posted by Atrius shortly after the release of v0.3. Thanks to him, we are able to better understand the functions that add/remove PCs from the party! It would seem that this guide/topic is incomplete, but it is still quite useful for those who want a starting point on party member stuff.

Exit editing, a Map Code Hex tutorial

Like the link above, this was also posted shortly after the release of v0.3. This should help with altering some of the warp data used by some of the rooms. Not all of the warp data can be found this way, unfortunately. Still, this is useful if you want to have a shot at exit editing.

Treasure Guide

Have you ever wanted to change the treasures that you can find in the game, or add a new Mimic battle? Thanks to the research done by Teawater, now you can!

Storybook Flags Guide

A topic created by Teawater. It helps explain what the game's flags do!

---Djinn/Summon Stuff---

Djinn Editing

Ever wanted to edit the djinn that some of the PCs come with, but had no idea how to start? Then this topic is for you! Created by Teawater/charleysdrpepper, you can edit the thumb assembly to change the djinn that your PCs start with.

---Enemy Stuff---

Golden Sun Monster ID + Locations

A useful list posted by MaxiPower, it documents the location of every used monster and enemy while also listing where they can be located in the game.

Which Djinni Are Which

A useful reference guide posted by Role, you can use this to figure out which of the djinn are which in the enemy data.

---Spell/Ability Stuff---

Ability Type Values

Notice: Requires Hex editing, but not too advanced if you have access to a calculator.

A useful guide to changing ability types, originally posted by charleysdrpepper at YL. You can edit and create moves like EPAs and summons more easily with this.

Battle Effect + Text Stuff

A helpful topic for those who want to do research on the various ailments/effects, etc. You can change the lines of text that are used, an effect's default duration, and so on.

---Text Stuff---

Text commands

This topic was created a long time ago, back in 2008. It does have some useful information though, so you may want to look into it when playing around with text editing.

---Patches---

Helpful and Unique Patches

A topic recently created by myself to help others locate fun or useful patches that they can use for their hacks! Why not visit this topic if you are interested in using patches?

---End---

Well, that is about it for now. If you feel that there are any topics that I should add, please post a link and I will evaluate their usefulness before adding them to this topic. Oh, and don't forget to check out the Downloads section! There are several useful things in there, some of them might help you out with your hacking goals!

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

leaf

http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=823.0 - Savegame editor. Use in combination with the debug warp menu to test just about any section of the game quickly and easily, with exactly the equipment, djinn, and summons that you want to be testing with at that time.

http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=1401.0 - Charon's extra instruments patch.

Also, please remove the spoilers. They make this thread a pain to read through, especially when each section only has one or two links. You can just separate sections with enter and a few dashes. Also, using the url tags to have the topic title be the link would make it easier to read, as well. So it'd be like...

Savestate Encyclopedias

Golden Sun The Lost Age Save State Encyclopedia
Golden Sun Save State Encyclopedia
Ever wanted to be able to go absolutely anywhere in the game, but didn't want to have to play through the game just so you could test? Thanks to Styx, we have compilations of savestates for both games, allowing you to go pretty much wherever you want.

---

Debug stuff

How to use the Debug Menu
A little while ago, Atrius figured out how to swap existing menus with debug menus! That later brought the ability to use a simple cheat to activate them. This is quite useful for accessing every room in the game, playing around with story flags, or even walking through walls!

Savegame Editor
Use in combination with the debug menu to test just about any section of the game quickly and easily, with exactly the equipment, djinn, and summons that you want to be testing with at that time.

---

Music Editing

Golden Sun Music editing; The Elf Method
If you want to learn how to change the sound effects/music in the games, you can use this guide that has been provided to us by Charon. This guide works for several other GBA games too, but it is explained with the use of a tile viewer like Tile Molester. There is more useful stuff in this topic, so why not browse to see what you can find?

Midi instruments in GS:TLA
Another thing that has been posted by Charon, this is a list of most of the instruments available in Golden Sun: The Lost Age (if not all). This does not include instruments that are added to the game.

Charon's Extra Instruments patch
Expands the number of usable instruments for music hacking, adding bells, piano, and a host of other sounds.

---

etc
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Salanewt

Great, thanks for the input! You make a good point, so I will work on doing that right now.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

QuoteAlso, please remove the spoilers. They make this thread a pain to read through, especially when each section only has one or two links. You can just separate sections with enter and a few dashes. Also, using the url tags to have the topic title be the link would make it easier to read, as well. So it'd be like...

[heightmax=50]We could replace it with the heightmax BBCode as well.[/heightmax]

Yeah, this is a great topic idea. Originally thought of by me earlier in the cbox. I'm glad Salanewt had the motivation to do it. Thank you!
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Griever

I agree this should be a sticky >_<

Something you might want to add, regarding the save state encyclopedia, is that most of the saves give max status and that they require VisualBoyAdvanceM[956] to be opened ... 1.7 or 1.8 will not be able to open them.

Salanewt

Okay, I have added the two things that leaf suggested. On top of this, I shall add what Griever is suggesting to add (I had not know about that, thanks).

A note about evaluating topics; this only really takes a second or two for each post. Chances are, the hyperlinks that I post will go straight to the most important posts in their topics; this can be seen in the Elf Method hyperlink.

Edit: Any more ideas for topics to add?

Oh, you are welcome charleysdrpepper. Thanks for the idea!

You have four [/spoiler] tags you forgot to delete.

Also, you could put a note about GS1: 03001F54:01 for the Newly Discovered Debug Menus. (I don't see why not.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Salanewt

Oh yeah, I forgot that there was a cheat for this for GS1, I shall add it right away. Thanks again!

Edit: I am going to use [ quote] tags for the Notices, so I shall go ahead and change that.

Salanewt

Cool, this was pinned! Anyway, I have an idea that I want to run by everyone. Considering that there will be many more useful/unique patches in the future, should I create a topic for useful patches and add a single link to it in this list?

dwkjohn

Just sayin'.  

,-~~-.___.            Golden Sun
  /   |  '         \   Hacking Community
(     )           0              |
   \_/-, ,------'              /
      ===                     //                   
      /    \-'~;    /~~~(O)
    /    __/~|__/         |   
=(  _____| (_________|
All your internet entertainment.

Salanewt

Alright then, done! Oh, and this also means that the patches that are on this topic have been moved to the other one.

Edit: I also did a bit of reorganizing to help with finding topics even easier. Any input on this?

leaf

http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=178.msg21772#msg21772

Use that link for the debug thread and remove the notice. Also, put the notices in italics or something instead of quoting so they aren't so distracting.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Salanewt

Cool, thanks for giving the link to that post. Fixed!
Also, all of the notices are now in bold. This will make them stand out without being distracting.

leaf

Well, I suggested italics because I find bold draws attention more than underlined, but that isn't as big of a problem with italics.
[spoiler=quotes]
---
---
---
---
---
---

Salanewt

That is true, but I chose bold to help ensure that the notices and warnings are noticeable for those who are a bit newer to GS hacking. I usually have to reread something to notice that it is in italics myself, at least in fonts like Verdana or Arial. I can switch to italics if you think that it will look better, but I am worried about whether they might not stand out enough or not.

leaf

The problem is putting them in bold makes them stick out more than the links themselves. Which is... annoying. No one looks through the list to find notes. They look through the list to find links.
[spoiler=quotes]
---
---
---
---
---
---

Salanewt

Ah, good point; they are now italicized. I might search for topics again tomorrow to make sure that I found more of the important ones.

Oh, and I did add another topic to this list: Hidden Data.

Quote from: leafgreen386 on 14, July, 2011, 10:58:31 PM
The problem is putting them in bold makes them stick out more than the links themselves. Which is... annoying. No one looks through the list to find notes. They look through the list to find links.
No one? I'm sure I would probably look for notes. That is, as long as the notes contain a summary of the most important information found there. (So I don't have to keep shuffling through pages.)

For example, if I wanted the code for GS2 Debug. I wouldn't have to click an extra link.. Apparently I would right now, though. But not really, since I already have it memorized anyway.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

leaf

What the hell are you even arguing? None of the "notices" given have anything to do with that. There are links provided with the title of the threads, a summary of what is there, and in some cases, an additional note about the content in the link being for advanced hackers. Now if you care to start making sense sometime in the near future, please do so.
[spoiler=quotes]
---
---
---
---
---
---