News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Helpful and Unique Patches

Started by Salanewt, 14, July, 2011, 01:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salanewt

Hello everyone! I have decided to make a topic for patches that we may like, want, or need. I will try to distinguish between patches that add or modify features like The Jump Patch or Blacksmith Price Fix patches, and things that do not really add anything new, such as templates like the Class Template. However, I will not add patches that do much else; personal hacks will not end up in here, for example. The majority of these can probably be found in the Downloads section, but this topic can help give direct links to these patches for those who may find them useful.

XI: Disclaimer
XII: Hot Tips

A: Field
A-I: Menus
A-II: Utilities
 A-II1: General Changes
 A-II2: Utility Tweaks
 A-II3: Revamped Utilities
B: Battle
B-I: Menus
B-II: General
 B-II1: Formulas
 B-II2: Ability Effects
 B-II3: Animations
B-III: Party Stuff
 B-III1: Items
 B-III2: Abilities
 B-III3: Stats
B-IV: Enemy Stuff
B-V: Other
C: Overhauls & Major Additions
D: Misc
D-I: General Changes
D-II: Debug
D-III: Audio
D-IV: Other
E: Templates & DIY
XIII: Concluding Remarks

---XI: Disclaimer---

1. As these are patches, you will need a program to apply them. Lunar IPS is an excellent program to do this with.
2. If you are unsure of the safety of your hack when you apply a patch (ie. applying it over a modified ROM), ask the creator of the patch what it does.
3. Unless you know exactly what a patch modifies, always back-up your hacks and projects before applying patches, even if the ones you select are known to work.

It would obviously be in poor taste to blame a patch creator or general contributor for your failing to follow this advice, so please keep this in mind!

---XII: Hot Tips---
A few other things to keep in mind:
1. Aside from the editor and patching software, a hex editing program like Hex Editor Neo can be your best friend. If you have a little more expertise, VBA SDL-H or similar programs are also very helpful.
2. Keep a record of the patches you use or the changes you make to your hack when possible. This will make it easier to seek assistance should something break or should one patch be incompatible with another. Also, check carefully to make sure you are patching something over the right game (GS1 patches won't work on GS2, and vice versa).
3. Unless otherwise noted, every download that is not in section E is a "patch and play" kind of hack, meaning that you won't need to use any tool other than the GS editor to make the most of them. "Hex Editor Required" means that you'll need to use a hex editor to do most things with it, while "Hex Editor Recommended" means that you will need it to get the most out of a patch but there are more features where you don't need one.

---A: Field---
Everything in this section deals with field mechanics, mapping, and so forth.

--A-I: Menus--
Nothing here yet, but this is where menu stuff that appears outside of battle (and is unrelated to debug or audio stuff) will be listed.

--A-II: Utilities--
A-II1: General Changes

GS2: Compass Utilities
Creator: Salanewt
Patches Required: None

This patch makes it so you can use utility spells in diagonal directions on the field; have fun with it!

A-II2: Utility Tweaks

GS2: Deluxe Lift

This is an aesthetic hack that changes how Lift looks, making it not look nearly identical to Carry.

[spoiler=Deluxe Lift Video Demonstration]
[/spoiler]

GS2: Faster Avoid

This cuts the time it takes to cast Avoid in half, even reducing the length of the sound effect to match it.

GS2: Faster Utilities
Includes: Faster Avoid

This is a collection of patches that make various utilities play out faster than they normally do. You don't need to download Faster Avoid if you download this.

GS2: Kraden's Acoustics

This is a novelty hack that turns Cyclone into a fart joke, using Kraden as an unwilling victim. Enjoy!

A-II3: Revamped Utilities

GS2: Blaze = Flare

This changes how the Blaze utility looks (and how it works). Why not check it out if you want a different fire-based utility in your hack?

[spoiler=Blaze = Flare Video Demonstration]
[/spoiler]

GS2: Humble Hover

This alters the Hover utility to make it useful for more common puzzles. No longer will you be confined to block pushing and 1-tile jumps to travel over holes and pits!

[spoiler=Humble Hover Video Demonstration]
[/spoiler]

---B: Battle---
Everything in this section deals with battle mechanics, damage formulas, and so forth.

--B-I: Menus--

GS1: Menu Panels Revamped TBS
Creator: Caledor

This nice little hack modifies the visual appearance of certain battle menus, modifying spacing and positioning!

GS1: Psy Drain Icon

This patch imports the PP Drain ability icon from GS2 and replaces the EP Drain icon with it.

GS2: Bronze Icons for bronze equipment

This patch imports some of GS1's item icons, replacing the icons used by certain pieces of equipment in GS2.

GS2: Menu Panels Revamped TLA

This does the same thing as Menu Panels Revamped TBS, only for the second game instead.

--B-II: General--
B-II1: Formulas

GS1: Base Damage Multiplier

This transforms PP into a pseudo magic stat, with higher PP totals increasing the damage dealt with the base damage formulas.

GS2: HP % Formula
Hex Editor Required

This patch adds an ability formula (x0C) that restores HP by a defined percentage to one decimal point; 1000 = 100%, 125 = 12.5%, and so forth. It doesn't work in the field, but I am planning an update to grant it field functionality in the future.

GS2: Simple Success Rates
Hex Editor Required

This patch changes how success rates are assigned to ability effects so the game utilizes a byte table rather than a pointer list. This means that every effect can have a unique rate, while a ROM without this patch will have effects sharing rates.

GS2: Simple Summons
Hex Editor Required

This changes how % damage modifiers are assigned to abilities, making it so every ability has its own value in a table.

GS2: TLA PP Multiplier

This is the same thing as the GS1 Base Damage Multiplier hack, but for GS2 instead.

B-II2: Ability Effects

GS2: Advanced Regeneration

Advanced Regeneration adds two different tiers to HP regeneration (the ability effect that Coatlique uses) so you get 20% and 40% healing as well; the only downside being that the original effect is even more potent than it was before.

GS2: Advanced Reviving

This modifies the four revival effects to use a formula similar to the HP % Formula patch, while also allowing the first three to be used outside of battle.

GS2: Curse Duration: 4 Turns

A simple patch, this reduces the Curse ailment's duration from seven turns to four - the first in-game decrease should happen at the end of the round.

[spoiler=Curse Duration: 4 Turns Video Demonstration]
[/spoiler]

GS2: Enemy-Specific Effect Immunities
Hex Editor Required

This patch allows you to define up to 32 enemy lists, while the purpose of each list is to define enemy effect immunities and such (for example, enemies G-J may or may not be immune to a specific effect while all others respond normally to it). While meant for enemies, you can technically define player characters in these lists too; it's universal!

GS2: KO Compatible Lull

This basically makes it so killing an enemy with Lull's effect allows the effect to still work, much like the HP/PP drain abilities.

GS2: Reflux Unlimited

Using this will essentially remove the Reflux counter buff duration and add another ability effect (#36) that gives you the buff for two turns.

B-II3: Animations

GS2: Eclipse Moon Background

This changes the scrolling cloud background in the Eclipse summon to a normally unused one and disables the scrolling effect.

GS2: Element-Specific Douse Animation

This tweaks the animation used by the Douse line so that its palette is dependent on the element of the abilities that use it.

GS2: Gray Non-Elemental Casting Animation

This patch changes the palette swap of the casting animation when spells are non-elemental; usually non-elemental abilities are purple, like Jupiter spells.

GS2: Steam Graphic Fix
Incompatible with the Animation Overhaul patch

This changes the animation used by the Steam djinni's animation, swapping it out for one that normally goes unused.

GS2: Wave Animation
Patches Required: GS2 - Animation Overhaul

This changes the Dreamtide and Water Grave base animation and turns it into a three-tiered spell line.

[spoiler=Wave Animation Demonstration]
[/spoiler]

--BIII: Party Stuff--
B-III1: Items

GS2: Five Class-changing Items Patch

This patch makes the two items after the Tomegathericon into class-changing items - it allows for up to five item class lines.

GS2: Item Stat-boost Randomness Removal
Creator: Fox

This patch removes the RNG that is applied to stat boosting items, resulting in consistent stat growths upon item use.

B-III2: Abilities

GS2: Unleashes Unleashed
Patches Required: Simple Success Rates

This adds the ability to create multi-target unleashes, like in Dark Dawn.

B-III3: Stats

GS2: 9999 HP and PP Patch

This raises the player HP/PP stats caps from 1999 to 9999. That's all.

--BIV: Enemy Stuff--
Nothing here yet, but this is where enemy-specific patches will be listed.

--BV: Other--
Nothing here yet, but this is where other kinds of battle-related patches will be listed.

---C: Overhauls---
Everything listed here is major; patches will either change how some things work in several ways or will change numerous things at once.

GS2: GS2 - Animation Overhaul
Hex Editor Recommended

This patch reorganizes the entire animation list, cutting out redundant entries, combining several related ones, and adding several animations that are either unused or normally restricted to certain events or actions. A hex editor is recommended to make the most of the 101 unleashes (described on the download page), but is not required to use this overhaul.

GS2: Intellect Stat Rebalance
Includes: Simple Success Rates
Hex Editor Recommended

This is a pretty major hack that replaces Luck with Agility, and Agility with a new Intellect stat that is essentially a magic power stat. It changes several other things and adds new features to accommodate the new stat.

---D: Misc---
For anything that does not fit into the previous three sections.

--DI: General Changes--

GS2: Blacksmith Price Fix
Creator: Atrius

This makes the Blacksmith's wife give you the cost/price when you pick up your forged gear.

GS2: Skip Intro
Creator: Misery

This allows you to skip the intro, starting the game right when you take control of Felix on Idejima.

--DII: Debug--

GS2: The Battle Camera Rotation Patch

This allows you to rotate the battle camera by pressing the L and R buttons.

--DIII: Audio--
GS1: Golden Sun: Voice Acting Experiment
Creator: Atrius, with numerous others as voice actors

An extremely popular patch, this one adds a bit of voice acting to the beginning of the game that we all know and love.  

[spoiler=Golden Sun: Voice Acting Experiment Video Demonstration]
[/spoiler]

GS2: Charon's Extra Instruments Patch 1.0
Creator: Daigonite

This adds several new instruments to GS2/TLA! None of the already existing songs will be changed, but any new songs that are added can use these instruments.

--DIV: Other--

GS2: The Jump Patch

This allows you to press the B button to jump! It also changes the maximum height from which you can fall, among a few other minor things.

[spoiler=Jump Patch Demonstration]
[/spoiler]

---E: Templates and DIY---
These patches are good for when you want to do the bulk of the work yourself

GS2: Role's Editor Templates (with Symbiotic Classes)
Creator: Role

This patch is pretty useful if you want to make all of your classes from scratch, as it also organizes them. This should be used in conjunction with the Class Separation patch option in the editor.

---XIII: Concluding Remarks---

And that should be it for now. If you feel that I should include a patch that I may have forgotten, please tell me about it! As Golden Sun hacking gets more advanced, there will surely be more patches of this nature that you can download and use.

If you want to go to the Helpful Info for Golden Sun Hacking Topic, click here.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Charon

This would be a very useful topic for a lot of hackers, so this is going sticky.

ThanatosTheDark

As Charon said:Always back-up your hacks and projects before applying patches.
I learned that the hard way :sad:
I am nothing more than a nothingness that never was.

besttp

It's GREAT! I can make my custom class with that patch!
But I have to study more before make an advance one, i think.

Durza

I realise this makes me look insanely incompetent, but how do you apply these patches? It refuses to apply Role's.
It's not a lie if you don't want to be believed. You're can't be wrong if you don't think you're right.

Salanewt

This uses the .IPS format, so a program like LIPS would be best. Why does it refuse to apply it?

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Durza

I'm not sure. Probably just doing it wrong. I tried opening it with the editor, which was never going to work, then started trying to find something on the computer to convert it. So do I need to download LIPS then?
It's not a lie if you don't want to be believed. You're can't be wrong if you don't think you're right.

Salanewt

It might be the best thing to do in this circumstance. With it, using a patch is pretty straightforward.

Rolina

Jupiter healing links to Blaze patch...

Also, can we have vids for some of these patches for examples?  That'd be awesome.

Salanewt

Oops, thanks for letting me know - the link has been fixed.

As for videos, I don't see why not. Pictures work to an extent, but they only give a partial idea of how they look and feel.

Edit: The Blaze = Flare video is being processed right now, but there will be more videos in the near future. However, I'm not sure if I will be able to make videos for all of the patches, as some probably already have videos lying around anyway.

Rolina

Cool.  I look forward to them, Sala!

Salanewt

Awesome. There are three videos so far, since I found Teawater's Jumping video, and the Curse video finished processing right after the Blaze one.

Oh, does anybody know if there is a video of the voice acting experiment patch? I'm not sure if I will have time to make one if there is, since I'm aiming for one that is at least 4-6 minutes long (if not longer).

Atrius (He/Him)

[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Salanewt

Awesome, thanks for the link Atrius!

Video added.

So yeah, are there any patches that you feel belong in here, or did I get them all?

Rolina

A before and after vid for jupiter healing would be nice... I'm curious as to what you did to make it different than breath.  Try to include all three stages if you can.

Salanewt

Oops, I keep mixing Ether with Breath, so the original is Ether's effect. However, a video should be ready now, if you would like to see what the patch is capable of.

Aile~♥

Sala, they always use + shapes for HP restoration particles and sphere shapes for PP restoration particles. That series is actually three levels of PP restoration. Editing Breath instead would've resulted in a more proper animation for that.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Salanewt

Not exactly - Cure has spherical particles that comes out of the ground, so not every healing animation uses those particles. The patch has been around since the beginning of August, and you are only saying something about it now? Well, no matter, I should be able to make an animation with Breath's animation in a bit. I think I might replace the Impair duplicate, since there isn't any point in having two animations that are exactly the same anyway.

Oh yeah, can you think of any patches or topics that I might have missed?

Aile~♥

Never used it and it didn't have a video.

Anyway, Mercury and Mars healing at least use + shaped particles. I'll check on Venus healing, though.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Salanewt

Makes sense I guess, but it did still have an image. And true, they did use those particles.

As far as I can tell, the only '+' Venus particles are used for Salt:

[spoiler=Healing Particle Reference][/spoiler]

So yeah, unless there are particle effects that are unrelated to these ones floating around, then this is what exists for use by healing spells.