News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Helpful and Unique Patches

Started by Salanewt, 14, July, 2011, 01:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

I actually like the fact that we have so many different choices here.  It's nice. :3

They can all hit tier 3, right?  Do any have a tier 4, or is it the typical glitchy stuff?

Salanewt

Yeah, it is lovely. It is actually pretty easy to get these too, since healing effects that work like Ply usually have a sort of identifier value before they branch to the main code.

As far as I can tell, they all have at least three tiers - no idea about fourth tiers, but probably not if spells like Ply and Cure don't have them.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

By the way, which animation number corresponds with which pic?

Salanewt

Er, I didn't exactly do it by animation number. Basically, I changed this effect's identifier value - this starts at x00, and then added x01 to the identifier value whenever I was ready to take the next picture. Some of these don't seem to have standalone animations anyway, since most of them are combined with djinni graphics or such...

And we might be getting carried away, hehe. Any more suggestions for patches that should go in here, or are we all set for now?

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

Oh, so these are just particle effects... interesting.  Let's see how many we can isolate.  That'll help a lot when it comes time to make animations.

Salanewt

So far, if we call the isolated healing particle effects a "family", then I know of seven families for sure (and am ready to guess about two or three others). I think I will create a topic for this though, since this discussion isn't what I had in mind for this topic.

Salanewt

Alright! Seeing as I'm back for the next little bit or so, I guess I can work on updating this topic semi-regularly. I'll even work on updating its twin later.

However, I am not simply posting to notify everyone of the update; I want some input! As more patches get uploaded and released here, the first post is going to get pretty messy and unorganized. How should I go about organizing it? Spoiler tags? I'm probably going to group off utility and battle-related patches into separate sections and give them headers (seeing as the time will likely come when these patches outnumber the rest), but I am looking for more suggestions on how to keep these topics nice and shiny!

Oh, and I recently uploaded a new patch that I just added to the list; can you guys think of any more I should add?

Aile~♥

Put the 9999 Max HP/PP patch here, please! (Even though I already have it.) The multi-turn counterattack patch would be good to have here too.

Also, are you or Teawater ever planning on releasing a version of the Editor that supports added ability types/damage formulae? I remember you made a patch one time that provided a percentage-based healing type. This would be really nice to have, as it should theoretically mean that the healing diffuses with range instead of having a chance of missing like it does if you use the Secondary Effect versions of percentage healing. It would also modify the healing percentage based on Elemental Power, another thing that the Secondary Effect versions do not do. Unfortunately, we don't have a version of the Editor that supports added formulae (or at least has blank slots available below the last formula in the list), so the patch is unusable.

If you do release such a version of the Editor, while you're at it could you do something to see if you can make percentage-based healing work outside of battle? Or, heck, even if you don't ever release an Editor that supports that it would be cool to have a patch that makes the Secondary Effect versions work outside of battle.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Salanewt

Yeah, sure! I forgot all about those patches; I'll add them to the topic.

Hard to say about the editor. I remember toying with the source at one point to let me assign the HP% formula to spells, but then Teawater made some other minor updates to a private version and I didn't do anything more with it. I'm not overly familiar with GM programming to update it myself unfortunately, but I can look into doing a basic update at some point. For example, to add "Ex#" options for when a patch adds something rather than replacing another.

I can look into that at some point, but it's not really my top priority right now; Disco Sun is! Just to make sure, did the character revival effects (like 50% and such) work in the field at least?

Aile~♥

Dunno...

(But theoretically you can give a class Vulnerability to Revive to 50% HP to increase the success chance above 50%. Stupid workarounds are stupid.)

Rolina

Do we even understand how those vulnerabilities work yet?

Salanewt

From what I understand, there are a whole bunch of different ability effects that work such as eRes debuffs or instant death. I haven't really researched it yet, but all I know is that it boosts their success rate according to what Teawater says.

As for the 50% HP revive, I'm not sure if that one would work. However, I wouldn't be surprised if all of the % revives share the same function and only define the values to use for HP restoration/success rates; that's what the % healing effects do.

Aile~♥

We have a basic idea. As far as design goes, what you really need to know is that each class can have up to three vulnerabilities, and each monster can have up to four. If using the numeric display version, you enter the index number of the secondary effect you wish them to be vulnerable to. Vulnerability to effect = increased chance of the effect occurring. How much the chance is increased, I don't know. But a character or monster probably still retains immunity to standard Stun by having 39 or higher Luck, even if they also have vulnerability to that effect.

Salanewt

From what I understand, having 40+ luck only grants actual immunity to a small collection of effects (poison/venom/curse/death/HP to 1/maybe one or two others), but you'll still be quite resistant to almost everything else.

However, something to note is that certain bosses are actually vulnerable to things like debuffs. Dullahan is vulnerable to Attack 12.5/25% reductions for example. If you're lucky and you land a dull or Eclipse debuff on it, then you can lower its attack. Sad to say that I don't know the ailment success rate for the attack debuff effects (just that recovery has a base of 30% when calculated in the random recovery formula), so it could also be that stat debuffs have a higher success rate than standard ailments.

I'm thinking that we should totally have a topic somewhere to discuss ailment stuff, as there is a lot that we can talk about.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Quote from: Salanewt on 20, May, 2014, 11:10:51 PM
I'm thinking that we should totally have a topic somewhere to discuss ailment stuff, as there is a lot that we can talk about.
Role already created that topic:  Ailment and Debuff formulas:  http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=2067.0 = I listed both known effect formulas in that topic. The success rate of an effect, and ailment recovering formulas. I have not listed all the effects that use the former formula, though.

@Jamie: I think it was three vulnerabilities for both Class and Enemies... if I recall correctly. The chance increase of a Vulnerability is +25% ; I think this is only for the effects that use the formula, though. The ones that don't use the formula have a base-chance that doesn't change. (From what I recall from memory.)

Revive to 50%, by the sound of it, probably doesn't use this formula, and therefore, doesn't take into account of the Vulnerability.  Do all Revives have a 100% chance of occurring? If so, then one can logically say they don't need the formula.

Edit again: I almost forgot to mention that buggy version I shouldn't be talking about.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Salanewt

Oh, oops. Didn't even realize that topic existed!

For revives, nope. I think most of them have a success rate that is equivalent to the amount they heal (so like the revive to 50% HP one for example).

So for this topic (specifically the first post), how do you guys like it?

FrozenWrath

Aile~♥

Quote from: Teawater on 21, May, 2014, 04:05:37 AM
@Jamie: I think it was three vulnerabilities for both Class and Enemies... if I recall correctly. The chance increase of a Vulnerability is +25% ; I think this is only for the effects that use the formula, though. The ones that don't use the formula have a base-chance that doesn't change. (From what I recall from memory.)
There are definitely four numbers along the bottom for enemies, and I assume all four of them are vulnerabilities. Certainly, I've never had any adverse effects from changing the last of those numbers, which makes me believe that to be the case. Character classes only have three numbers along the bottom in versions of the editor where they couldn't be changed, and three slots along the bottom in versions where they can.

Salanewt

Well yeah, but it could also be a regular unused value that wouldn't do anything anyway. Which, seeing as Teawater has researched those a fair bit, could be pretty likely.

Also yay, Scarlet likes it! Guess I'll consider that to be the general layout for these topics if nobody else has anything to say then. I might consider putting everything in a spoiler when there are more patches though, but even then it would only be a single spoiler.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

@Salanewt: Yeah, researched them a fair bit... The numbers at 080B0712 and 080B0736 give it away, too! Since both are the number 2... which means check 0, 1, and 2. ; The final/fourth number is likely unused, seeing that it's always 0. (And it might be that way for data aligning. Since 32-bits are 32-bit aligned, 16-bits are 16-bit aligned, 8-bits are 8-bit aligned, etc... usually.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)