News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Helpful and Unique Patches

Started by Salanewt, 14, July, 2011, 01:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aile~♥

So I noticed something annoying: If you give a damage-dealing ability the effect "Instantly end round", the effect doesn't trigger if the target is killed by the attack.

It would be really cool to have a patch that fixed this, so that the secondary effect still activated even if the target died. I'm trying to have cinematic finishing moves that can only be used one per turn because they instantly end the turn when used, but it doesn't work if it can fail just because it killed the target (when it hits over 2000 damage in a single attack, that's gonna happen pretty often).
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Salanewt

Hm... I haven't really looked into the effect, but I would expect that it checks to see if the target is still alive or not. Not sure why they would do this unless the effect itself could bypass the whole "end battle when one team is dead" thing.

But yeah, I should be able to work on that in the near future. I'm thinking of adding Chronos as a Disco Sun summon later, and it would be cool to let to deal some minor damage to the enemies or something.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Look in the Ability Effects section of the Damage Formula. I believe that entire section is skipped when you kill the enemy? (The exception is with two functions that list the effects.) (Maybe so you don't go applying Status Effects like poison when the enemy is already dead.)

The function that list exceptions for Revives probably doesn't work on enemies that are alive. (Dunno.)
The function that list exceptions for when the user gains HP/PP might be the way to go, not entirely sure, though.

The latter has a listing of the 4 effects: 31, 32, 60, and 69.

I think the general way effects are coding in is that..
-There's a start a turn function for the multiplier type effects.
-The ailment success function is only for success chances for the effects. There's a call in the damage function before the damage type code is done, and there's a call in the Start a turn function thingy... both seem to do the same thing. (The one in the Start a turn function is only used in certain case(s) and caries the result over for use in the damage function when it is used.)
-The damage formula includes the after-damage effects. This is only applied in certain cases. One of those cases being if Ailment Success is True. Probably the main place where effects have a chance? Ailment Success may also be used for the Effect Only damage type and maybe for some other effects in other areas of the code? (I mentioned the Start a turn function earlier.)
-There were two functions that list effects. The Revives list, and User recovers HP/PP effects list.
-There might be some other places(?), but I haven't listed them.

-
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Aile~♥

I would think that you could make "Instantly End Round" work even if the ability kills by looking at the code for "May inflict delusion on all enemies". Which, to my recollection, still works even if the attack kills the primary target.

Salanewt

Hm... Done!

Teawater: Sweet, thanks for the advice! The way it's normally coded is pretty weird, but not in a bad way it seems. It has a check for "if equal than 60, branch" before an "if greater than 60, branch" check, but the second check just goes to another check. I didn't even need to expand or relocate the function to add this exception!

Jamie: As far as I can tell, both of the delusion effects use the same code; the second one probably uses a secondary function to apply it to all targets. If you change the second delusion effect's pointer, then you could change that effect into something like "inflict curse on all enemies" or something.

Well anyway, here's a fix. Could you please let me know if it breaks either the Lull or any of the HP/PP drain effects? If it works without a hitch, then I'll make a page for it in the downloads section and update the first post.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Salanewt

Okay, updated the first post to include the following:

KO Compatible Lull

Compass Utilities

Hope you guys like them!

Rolina

Oh, Compass Utilities seems really useful.  Nice job.

Salanewt

Thanks! I have to admit that I'm kind of surprised Camelot didn't allow for something like this before Dark Dawn, but it should be easier to make more complex puzzles with the patch's tweaked limitations in mind.

Salanewt

Tiny heads-up: The Simple Summons patch is now available for download, and has been added to this topic to make finding it easier in the future.

Aile~♥

KO-compatible Lull patch also affects other ability effects, including Death Curse, May decrease resistance by 40, and Halve Agility.

Reflux Unlimited patch is borked. Ability effect #36 creates an unending counter-attack effect, at least when used by enemies. Not just 2 turns as advertised.

Edit: Actually, it breaks both counter-attack effects when used by enemies.

Edit 2: Reflux Unlimited also makes "Get extra turn next round" effects last for the remainder of battle.

Salanewt

Lull: I think I know what the problem is. I just successfully killed an enemy with two different unleashes; one that drains HP and one that seals their psynergy. The former failed to restore my health while the latter sealed their PP after they died. To make a very long story short, it looks like I screwed up the branches in that one and I can work on a quick fix today. I totally asked you to test it for me earlier though... Oh well.

Edit: Worked out a fix, and it's now available for download.

Reflux: I don't know, I just double checked that one by having an enemy use it and it seems to work perfectly for me... Although I am getting the weird bug with Kite's effect when I use it by itself; don't even need to use Reflux for that. I'll have to look into that again later if it even is Reflux causing it, but this one will probably take a little more time than the Lull one will and I'm not sure if I have any of that right now.

Edit: Yeah, I'm not having any problems with the counter-attack effects, just with Kite. Would you mind either testing it on a clean ROM or having someone else weigh in on this?

Aile~♥

Maybe it's a result of the combination of the previously-broken Lull patch and the Reflux patch? I had them both applied to the same ROM. All I know is that both the 1-turn Reflux and the 2-turn Reflux lasted forever and it was annoying. I'll go back and test in a bit.

Edit: Tested and confirmed that both Reflux and the new Ability Effect #36 last an infinite amount of time with the Reflux Unlimited patch. After applying the patch to a supposedly-clean US ROM, I opened the V0.3 version of the Editor and changed only the following:

-- Reflect now uses ability effect #36 (supposedly the 2-turn counterattack.)
-- Ruffian max HP increased to 99 (so it can survive 3 turns of counter-attacks to confirm the bug.)
-- Wooden Stick can be used to grant the effects of Reflect.
-- One-Piece Dress can be used to grant the effects of Reflux.

Used the One-Piece Dress (Reflux) once and Defended for the rest of the battle. Ruffian attacked every turn for 3 turns and Jenna counter-attacked without fail, killing the Ruffian on the third turn.

Repeated the process in the next battle with the Wooden Stick (Reflect) at the start. Same thing, Jenna counter-attacked for 3 turns and killed the Ruffian.

QuoteI totally asked you to test it for me earlier though... Oh well.

Yeah, you did. Sorry for not getting back to you on that. Rather rude of me really. =\

Salanewt

Topic has been updated!

Jamie: Oh, huh, okay thanks (I know your post is almost three years old now but I just saw it)! I'm eventually going to take it down and replace it with a different counterattack hack I have in mind, but for now I'll just leave it up for anyone who wants to give it a shot. There's a pretty good chance that I only messed up the turn counter portion of the code, so anyone with even a smidgen of assembly knowledge could fix it themselves, so... yeah!

Edit: I may combine the two Menu sections and put them near the end at some point, but for now they can stay where they are.