News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Ability Type Values

Started by Salanewt, 16, July, 2011, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salanewt

Hello everyone! Did you make a really cool spell, but you wanted it to be an EPA instead? Ever wanted to apply Eddy and Mold's effects to other spells? Well, look no further. Thanks to charleysdrpepper, we now know how we can change spell types! I think I will quote and slightly modify the original topic that he created at YL.

Note: Corrections/clarifications are in square brackets ([]).

Quote from: charleysdrpepperNow, while I was looking for how to change Mold's Effect.. I first searched for the line numbers that were used in it. It lead me to code, I scrolled up, for a list of pointers.. I noticed how I value was being loaded from RAM. I placed a breakpoint write at this RAM location, and not long after I scrolled up from there, and found where the value was being loaded from ROM.

08128972 = Ability Effects Database; Each one is a byte.
08128AAE = Mold's Ability Effect.

Edit it if you'd like, I'm not exactly sure how 00 one works, since it branches to code the others don't use. Probably to use a different value besides 00?

00 = No type [regular spell]
01 = Instant enemy hit. No movement or ability animations, but the Enemy does show its hit sprite. [Glitch?]
02 = Attack animation, then ability animation. [EPA]
03 = Ability animation, (Starting with the 3 bubbles in beginning.) [Ailment?]
04 = Ability animation. (Does not have 3 bubbles in beginning, but instead, a delay.)
05 = Ability animation / Party fades away. [general summon]
06 = Ability animation. (No delay, no 3 bubbles..) [general djinni]
07 = Flee [it actually makes you/target flee]
08 = Ability animation. (Does not include the 3 bubbles, but some other animation.)
09 = Ability animation. (3 bubbles) Rest of party fades away except for caster. (The Gaia and Rockfall series use this.)
0A = Target modifier. [Meld/Mold]
0B = Djinn recover more quickly. [Eddy]
0C = Ability animation / Party fades away / High Impact [Megaera]
0D = Ability animation / Party fades away / Party HP fully restored [Iris]
0E = Ability animation / Party fades away
0F = Turn into a Djinni and attack with ability animation in front of enemy. [Call EPA]
10 = Turn into a Djinni and attack with ability animation from afar. (Not 3 bubbles animation, but a different one.) [Call psynergy?]
11 = Turn into a Djinni and attack with ability animation from afar. (3 bubbles animation.) [Call ailment?]

All numbers 12 and above don't do anything.

0F - 11 = You can probably use others besides just djinn. Look at abilities 600+ in Editor.

You get one byte for every ability, starting from ability 0 (Nothing) and ending at ability 733 (Pressure). This does require HEX editing though, but it isn't too hard once you locate the abilities that you want to use.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Mion Sonozaki

I would like to note the game does not produce the Trident's animation unless you use type 09 on the skill.

Rolina

Allow me to assume the role of Atrius:

"But that needs ASM editing.  I can't get to it any time soon, try again in two years."

Atrius (He/Him)

Nice work, hopefully I'll be able to add this to the next version of the editor.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

That reminds me, we've been wanting to ask you - is there any chance of turning the editor into an open source editor so other people can develop for it?

Salanewt

Quote from: Atrius on 29, July, 2011, 12:54:10 AM
Nice work, hopefully I'll be able to add this to the next version of the editor.

Thanks, though Teawater should get the credit: I am not sure if I mentioned that he was the original finder of this data or not.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Quote from: Salanewt on 30, July, 2011, 11:53:27 AM
Quote from: Atrius on 29, July, 2011, 12:54:10 AM

Thanks, though Teawater should get the credit: I am not sure if I mentioned that he was the original finder of this data or not.
But I would not have found it without you.... Afterall, It was you who wanted me to find out how to edit Mold's effect, right? (The one where the enemy hits an ally.)

What I am trying to say is, if it wasn't for this, I would not have even looked for it.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Salanewt

True enough. Anyway, we should be able to look forward to seeing this in the editor. If Atrius wants to add it, that is; it is his program, after all.

Salanewt

Ah, I have some slightly bad news about Mold's effect. It would seem that, like the animal spells in the Tamer series, there is something else that finishes the effect. It also turns out that Meld shares the starting effect with Mold. I guess it would be more accurate to say that 0x0A is a target modifier after all. Most of this other stuff seems to be correct though.