News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

List of things which require ASM editing

Started by Rolina, 21, July, 2011, 12:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

This isn't yet a full list, just what comes to the top of my head.  However, if you have another thing that requires it that Atrius has told you he can't do until we get it, let me know and I'll add it to the list.  So far, here's what I've got:

Damage Formulas
Item Types
Shop Types (and which items go to which shops)
Element types
Battle animations
Effect editing
Custom ASM Editing Support

Mion Sonozaki

Music editing. Not inserting midis, but simply switching music. There's quite the decent documentation on it. We can do it via hex editing anyways.

We should also add in changing ability type values to change things to Eddy, EPA, etc... Salanewt documented it.

Both are documented and fully customizable with a tiny bit of hex editing, so it should be an easy convenience to implement in the editor.

Not really ASM heavy, but nice.

Rolina

Mion Sonozaki

New Feature!!

Gerbil Catching!!

You press a button and the editor catches a Gerbil. And it says how many Gerbils you've caught.

I know, not a serious feature, but it was the pinnacle of the YI editor - Eggvine!

Rolina

Lishy, do please take this topic seriously.  I don't appreciate it when people spam in serious topics with nonsensical things.

Salanewt

QuoteWe should also add in changing ability type values to change things to Eddy, EPA, etc... Salanewt documented it.

Actually, Teawater documented it; I just posted the information here. Even then, the ability type values are not ASM. Their effects are though, so possible editing of those would be interesting.

Oh, animation editing!

You know, you could download my chart if you need help with ASM; it would make it easier on Atrius if people were to try alternatives instead of relying on the editor for every little thing. Just saying it out loud, and it is only an opinion-based statement. I mean, we are kind of lucky that Atrius has even made an editor for us to work with.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

Does animation editing actually require ASM?  Or is it just battle animations you're talking about?  I was under assumption that animated sprites were something we'd be able to do in 0.5...

Salanewt

Battle animations, animating regular sprites is probably something that Atrius is going to give us.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Hoopa

"You seek the truth but are you able to handle it? What you find may not be what you expected... and it may ruin you in the end. Knowing that, will you continue onwards in your journey? Or will you give up and return to a life of apathy? The choice is yours..."

Mion Sonozaki

Yeah, we totally need Gerbil catching for teh lulz!

Seriously though, it was fun as hell in the YI editor.It might as well be done here if Atrius gets bored.

Or we can have the source to do all the cool things like Gerbils which Atrius wont!

leaf

[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Charon

/list of things atrius should get to thread

An actually useful one would be editing the tables to allow for more unique entries; for example, allowing for more shop dialogues, like you said, but other tables could use it.. A pretty general one actually.

Rolina

Care to elaborate a bit more on this one?  Not sure what you mean by that.

Charon

Basically a game has tables to define its arguments; in most games they have ones that can just be filled with different numbers for different values. A lot of things in the editor edit these values.

However some don't and use ASM instead, and what I'm suggesting is filling empty areas in a table with offsets to "blank" sets, which would just require something like an offset (like with shop text data) or perhaps even something as ambitious as attack animation or particle effects. Basically, using freespace to set up little templates.

That is, if said values rely on tables. Many do though, so we should be cool.

Also I highly suggest that if we're going to do a lot of this stuff we should probably expand the rom to 32MB. I know IPS doesn't support 32 MB but there's some patchers that do. I know Hackmew made one so I'll have to ask her if its okay to distribute it here, since its very useful.

Rolina

Oh, so it'd be a utility for the editor, rather than a specific feature.  I see.

Atrius (He/Him)

I'm still not sure I understand Charon's suggestion.

Music replacement/addition does not require ASM hacking, it requires a .midi to GBA audio format converter.  The music that maps use can also be editing through the data rather than ASM as well.

Attack animations are coded in ASM, sprite animations are not.

Gerbil catching requires an overdose on methamphetamine, or copious amounts of alcohol.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

I personally prefer putting a muzzle on anyone who suggests it.