News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

I suppose I should introduce myself...

Started by Misery, 14, August, 2011, 09:40:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Misery

Hello everyone, nice to meet you. Even though I say that, I've been keeping an eye on this community since back when the editor was pretty new (How long has it been? 2 years?), checking it out from time to time. So, I'm feeling quite familiar with the forum regulars here, even if you have no idea who I am.

So who am I? An aspiring concept artist and game developer, spare time hacker/programmer and occasionally composer. Yeah, big claims that say absolutely nothing about my ability. Or my personality. See, at least I'm aware of it. I'm also a diehard Golden Sun fan. And Touhou fan. And various other kinds of fan as well. Anyway, I got started with ROM hacking a bit over 5 years ago with Super Metroid, and since then I've also been onto Pokémon Gold/Silver (if by any chance anyone has been to Metroid Construction, I made a brief appearance there almost a year ago).

As for Golden Sun hacking, back when it was new and hot I was working up ideas for a hack with a new story/setting, new characters, alternate elements, changed mechanics... then someday I read a post by Lishy presenting his ideas, and it dawned on me that my game had nothing to do with Golden Sun. So I started making plans for a completely new game instead (and I'm still at it). However, I just recently noticed that the GS editor now has fully functional text editing with automatic repointing, so what the heck, now I can at least implement some of my themes! I'll probably post some info about it later.

Now, this is getting a bit long for an introduction. So I'll just say, glad to be a part of this community, and it's good to see you all still going at it even after all this time. I don't know if I'm going to be very active, but I'm here to stay in any case.

Salanewt

Welcome to the GSHC, Misery. You should be able to have fun here if you follow the rules.

Five years is a lot of time to garner some hacking experience, is there a video or something that we may look at to see your work?

Golden Sun hack? Cool; there is also have a Downloads section, so you can upload a patch in there when you feel that it is ready. Granted, a topic might also help if you want some discussion on it.

Either way, welcome! We have a community project, so you can take a look at some of the old ideas if you need any... Or you can even help out when you have free time. It is nice getting new members, so have fun!
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Misery

Quote from: Salanewt on 14, August, 2011, 11:51:09 AM
Welcome to the GSHC, Misery. You should be able to have fun here if you follow the rules.
Thanks. Don't worry, I have a long history of not-rulebreaking.

Five years is a lot of time to garner some hacking experience, is there a video or something that we may look at to see your work?
Indeed. It's not like I've been hacking actively for 5 years though, if I even stuck to just one game or one idea I might have had some actual gameplay to show, but I don't. Most of the time I'm just testing and planning. I'll definitely post some other media though when I figure out where to put it, it's just that too much of my stuff is "in progress, except not".

Golden Sun hack? Cool; there is also have a Downloads section, so you can upload a patch in there when you feel that it is ready. Granted, a topic might also help if you want some discussion on it.
Exactly the reason I signed up here, it's easier to make something good if I can get input from others on it, and I want to get an idea of what kind of reception it will get before going through the grueling task of rewriting everything in the editor.

Either way, welcome! We have a community project, so you can take a look at some of the old ideas if you need any... Or you can even help out when you have free time. It is nice getting new members, so have fun!
I actually hope to be able to contribute to it in some way. Just don't rely on me to get things done, haha. :Sweat:

leaf

Heh. I like you already. Welcome to the forums, Misery. I think we'll get along quite well.

Random question: Has anyone ever called you "mire?" Whenever I see your name, I think of misery mire from LoZ. =p
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Misery

Hi there. Wow, it has been too long since I played that game, I barely remembered what misery mire was. I even played Zelda for NES more recently...

But nope, nobody has ever really called me anything. Then again, I haven't exactly been socializing a lot under this name. Strange, misery supposedly loves company. Oh well, I don't mind.

Kain

Hey there, welcome to the GSHC.  Hope you enjoy your time here.  Are there any other games or series you enjoy?
You misspelled retard...oh the irony!

Misery

Uhhh... there's a lot. Metroid(1-4), Pokémon(1-5), Golden Sun(1-2) and Touhou (main), as you could probably figure from earlier posts. Still missing most of the Zeldas, having played only 1 and 3.

Picked up Disgaea for DS some time ago, loved it to death and has spent massive amounts of time playing it.

There are some great Japan-exclusive SNES games, Tales of Phantasia is seriously the best SNES game there is, and I got through Star Ocean just recently. Seiken Densetsu 3, Front Mission and Front Mission: Gun Hazard are really good as well.

For PC there's Fallout 1-2 and Half Life 1-2. Oh, and Cave Story of course! And then there's Deus Ex, Ground Control and Evolva, but I don't think those are well known.

Just to name a few ._.
Looking at these it feels like I'm pretty mainstream after all...

leaf

Quote from: Misery on 14, August, 2011, 06:48:01 PM
Hi there. Wow, it has been too long since I played that game, I barely remembered what misery mire was. I even played Zelda for NES more recently...

But nope, nobody has ever really called me anything. Then again, I haven't exactly been socializing a lot under this name. Strange, misery supposedly loves company. Oh well, I don't mind.
Fair enough. It actually took me a moment to figure out why I kept wanting to call you mire, myself. =p

As for your game list, I've heard of deus ex, but not ground control or evolva. Other than that... Disgaea is indeed awesome, and I wouldn't say golden sun or touhou are all that mainstream, although with touhou it can feel like it sometimes what with the huge fan community; most people stateside have never heard of it.

Oh yeah! And I forgot to ask last time, but do you have skype? Several members from this forum have a skype chat set up, and we're always glad to have new people join. It's mostly used similarly to an IRC, but we do group calls sometimes too. Lemme know if you're interested.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Kain

Quote from: Misery on 14, August, 2011, 09:16:40 PM
Disgaea
Sweet!  We got another one!

Quote from: Misery on 14, August, 2011, 09:16:40 PMStar Ocean just recently.
Another great game.

Quote from: Misery on 14, August, 2011, 09:16:40 PMFallout 1-2
Oh thank god!  Finally, another person who's played them!

Quote from: Misery on 14, August, 2011, 09:16:40 PMDeus Ex
Awesome.  I've played the second one.  Sadly I didn't get far but still, I liked this series.

Misery

Frankly I haven't played much of anything on PC lately, mostly DS games. I didn't get far in the second Deus Ex either, but from what I can tell it's not as good as the first. I never owned any stationary console myself so I know I'm missing a bunch of great games.

Touhou is kind of funny, 3 years ago I didn't know about it, but now that I do it's hard to imagine how anyone could miss it. Back then, I met a new friend. Occasionally, awesome-sounding music would pop up on his playlist. I'd ask "what is this", he'd reply "Touhou", and I remained none the wiser. Then one day, that McDonald insanity version of Flandre's theme came up, and I was like "WHAT THE F*** IS THIS". I ended up looking into the series.

I don't have skype, which is not to say I can't set it up. I'll look into that too.

Kain

Quote from: Misery on 15, August, 2011, 06:49:13 AM
McDonald insanity version of Flandre's theme

I thought it was a turkey getting strangled when I first heard it...sadly it was also on Osu when I first heard the song so the video was there too.  I lost shortly after because I was laughing too hard.

zman9000

Hi Misery. Welcome to the Golden Sun Hacking Community, but at time it feels like the Golden Sun dis-functional family.
And I'm the annoying kid that no one exactly likes but gets along with great.

But you will be sure to have a fun time here, trust me.
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Amylolz

Welcome Misery! Enjoy the fourm!

@zman9000: What does that make me?

Kai Hong

Welcome! I can't help feeling that there's some kind of pun there, with misery being familiar with the forum members, or something. Anyway, hi!
WARNING! IT IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TO READ THIS WARNING! NOW YOU WILL DIE...eventually.

Misery

Thanks for the welcomes everyone. I am feeling welcomed.

Quote from: zman9000 on 15, August, 2011, 08:26:32 AM
And I'm the annoying kid that no one exactly likes but gets along with great.
Quote from: Amylolz on 21, August, 2011, 04:33:37 AM
@zman9000: What does that make me?
You guys seem pretty self conscious about something I'm not aware of yet...

Quote from: Kai Hong on 21, August, 2011, 08:25:32 AM
Welcome! I can't help feeling that there's some kind of pun there, with misery being familiar with the forum members, or something. Anyway, hi!
They're not familiar with me though. Any puns on my part are unintentional. Probably.

zman9000

well you did say you have kind of known some of the regulars for some time... so i'd think you would know...
I may have only joined late last year, but i'm on here every day... (making a mess of things and making a fool of my self)

but i haven't posted to much in the Comunity hack in a while. and the members who stand out the most are Charon, Role, Sala, Grevier, and leaf (at least IMO)

from me being banned, to my insanely bad spelling and grammer... thats about what i'm known for.
(also I left/kicked Jupiter due to some stuff so yeah, I have a Reputation here that I'm trying to leave behind but,
Quotethats about what i'm known for.
lol)

Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Misery

Well ok, to be honest I've at least seen Role throw a few fits at you, so I kinda know what you're talking about. Just trying to offer you the opportunity to come off as less annoying this time :P

Tan

I'm somewhat late to the party here, but greetings and salutations, internet person. Osu's been eating up a lot of my time lately, so I haven't been checking in here much.

Also,
QuoteDisgaea
ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US!
"Video Games"
-Raocow

pez777

welcome enjoy your stay and stay active~!

looking for new members/ Affiliates

Misery

Osu...
*mental image of enthusiastic japanese man*
Uh, what is that? :Sweat:

Oh and hey, would BtBaM happen to stand for Between the Buried and Me?

@Pez: thanks for the welcome, but you're a little late...