News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Non-Psynergy fighters?

Started by jmillart, 19, August, 2011, 01:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmillart

After seeing hacks/mods like Kraden Fights http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=16.0 and other points of the game where others join your team for a short while, I think it would be good to add a few more battle characters to the team. Set them up as additional characters, not replacement, with no Psynergy (and no Psynergy points) and block them from having Djinn but maybe more natural HP and Attack/Defense strength to compensate.

At the end of The Lost Age I suppose the team would look like
Felix Jenna Sheba Piers
Isaac Garet Ivan Mai
Kraden

Other playible charicters might be the witchdoctor and Babi's right hand man (for the first game)

zman9000

I'm sure its possible but I don't know if you could do it yet with the editor. For now they would have to be replacement characters. since I believe that the way things like that are handled are through events, and we currently have no way to edit events the way we want.

other then that you could try coding, but I don't think you'd have much luck. and the amount of testing you would have to do to first learn where the events are, and then find that type of event... it just becomes a long list of things to do, which is most likely why its not yet in the editor. (among other reasons)

I don't know if Atrius has made any progress in that area yet so you're guess is as good as mine.
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

leaf

If you want to have more than 8 character party, just write a whole new game. I'm serious. You would have to mess with so much of the game's code on a fundamental level to get it to accept having a 9 character party, that by the time all is said and done, you may as well just write your own game from scratch.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

zman9000

Actually leaf I think he meant temporary characters that aren't a replacement for one of the mains. you could only have 8 but you may meet different people along the way that might fight. In GS1 at the very least this is possible for at least one character. there's Isaac, Garet, Ivan, Mia, Jenna, Felix, and Sheba but there is an extra space. if how I think it works is how it works it will work, with the current editor. but getting him or her to join and then leave isn't possible.

Now In the lost age there aren't any open spots, but I don't know how the code works. is it you can only have 8 characters in your party at a time, or is it the game can only save 8 playable characters. if its the first you could add more, but having more in your party won't work.

If its the first, that gives me an interesting idea for the Community Hack.
I'm sure it isn't but I'd love to be wrong here.
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Aile~♥

The game can only save 8 playable characters. Now, if you did it right, you could probably fudge it to fake a temporary party member. For example, you could have an item that, when equipped to a character, changes their sprite, name, and class. Then just set up a temporary inventory for them. For instance, if you could turn the Machete into a class-changing item and have it change the displayed name, you could make Isaac temporarily turn into someone else, by editing his "Young Isaac" battle sprite to look like whatever you want. Problem with that is you have to completely reset their inventory prior to their joining your party proper, as well as have their name saved in data while still having the game use a different name for them.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

Temporary characters?  You mean like Jenna in TBS?  You know... she does take up a spot.  If you're gonna do that, they'll be taking up room.  I don't think it'll work.  Maybe you could find a way to rig it so that enemy data fights in one of your empty slots in a scripted fight, but after you get 4 characters that should never happen.

Misery

Quote from: Role on 21, October, 2011, 06:09:01 AM
Maybe you could find a way to rig it so that enemy data fights in one of your empty slots in a scripted fight, but after you get 4 characters that should never happen.
This was my first thought as well, as long as you can't access the character from the menus, I don't think there's any restriction that would prevent it. On the other hand, I don't think anyone here would be interested in doing that either.

You could always dump Piers for a replacement, nobody likes him anyway.

Rolina

Quote from: Misery on 21, October, 2011, 03:13:26 PM
Quote from: Role on 21, October, 2011, 06:09:01 AM
Maybe you could find a way to rig it so that enemy data fights in one of your empty slots in a scripted fight, but after you get 4 characters that should never happen.
This was my first thought as well, as long as you can't access the character from the menus, I don't think there's any restriction that would prevent it. On the other hand, I don't think anyone here would be interested in doing that either.

You could always dump Piers for a replacement, nobody likes him anyway.
Nobody likes him because of his poor class selection and poor - even among TLA characters - characterization.  Replacing him without remedying that will solve nothing.