News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Golden Sun Minecraft Mod Discussion

Started by zman9000, 29, August, 2011, 03:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zman9000

I dicided to make this its own topic, since it looked like there is some interest in the project.

If anyone is truly interested in making/working on a Golden Sun Mod, or has any experience with Java and or have looked at/worked with the minecraft code, please post here.

So the basic idea of the mod from what has been talked about after I brought up the idea is the following:
1.Golden sun textures / blocks from the game.
2.Enemys from Golden sun, and maby bosses.
3.Possibly weapons from the game.
4.If possible Basic powers from Golden Sun.

Whether or not we get enough people to do this or have interest in this, we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm willing to do work in coding for this. but that is dependent on when I have my College Java class.
I had taken Java in high school and did good in it, but its been a while, and i don't rember a whole lot.

So what does every one think?
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

ThanatosTheDark

I'm down for it but I know s**t about creating mods. I still need to learn how to use redstone but I volunteer to test.
I am nothing more than a nothingness that never was.

Salanewt

Aren't they coming out with a modding API soon? If you can find people to do this, then it might be best to wait for 1.3 so there is official software for modding.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Robert Joe

I do hope that this does not count as "Necroing" a thread, but I am currently working on a Golden Sun mod for my server, and I will also release it publicly (Since it appears as if no one other than myself will ever use that thing). I currently have the following planned:

The four Elemental Clans, and a set of weapons and armor for each. (I should have this part done in a day or so...)

A flyable Lemurian Ship, which is what I am currently working on. Here is the appallingly crap model of it that I just finished:

I have not played Dark Dawn yet (Although I do posses a copy, I am holding off on playing it, as I am going to be doing a blind Let's Play of it... Long story..), but I saw a screenshot of the Dim Dragon, and it reminded me of Leonardo Da Vinci's tank, (Which I have already added to the game...) so I think that I will add that as a drivable vehicle as well (Even though it appears to be unmanned). Along with any other craft that may be in Dark Dawn, but I obviously have to play it first.

Djinni that spawn randomly like mobs, and when defeated drop an item of themselves. This item will probably be used for crafting the Golden Sun items.

Enemies from Golden Sun, they will probably be more common than Djinni, but drop less valuable items.

I would like to try for Psynergy, but in all honesty, I do not believe that my Java coding skills are good enough for that...

I am currently attempting to rip the sound of the flying Lemurian Ship from the game without the music, but I am encountering some issues with that. Does anyone know how to do this? I have tried disabling certain sound channels, but that also mutes the sound itself...

Also, if anyone has any ideas, please let me know! Even though I suck with Java, I will do my best!

zman9000

dude finally someone takes up the idea...
no this is not necro-posting and anyone who says other wise should shut the F*** up...

Also does this mod include texture pack? cause if so I'll do what ever i can to help you.
My personal goal is to create a 1:1 scale version of Wierd with 'all locations' (except the lighthouses), 1:1 scale included. (note: the lighthouses are wider at the base then the max height in minecraft.)

If this hack has re-textures for blocks that look like the floor and wall tiles in golden sun then you can't keep me out of this project.
Joe feel free to post any new stuff here on the project and please ask if you have any questions.

O and on the note of GS 3? Don't worry about getting stuff from there, the game doesn't make a lot of sense because of a few things (but that's just my opinion)
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Atrius (He/Him)

My stance is that I don't count it as necroposting if it adds to the topic, and makes it useful again.

It shouldn't be too difficult to get the flying ship sounds, I'll try my hand at it when I can.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Robert Joe

The mod probably will not include any re-texures, as I can just make new blocks entirely. If you want to see any particular Golden Sun textures in-game, just tell me which ones. They will most likely be 16X16 in resolution, so I probably cannot add anything too detailed.

Anyway, I am going to finish the ship later, as that will technically not be a full standalone mod, but rather a content pack for Flan's Mod. So, I am now currently working on Orihalcon Ore:

Orihalcon will be the most widely used ingredient of the mod. It, combined with Salamander Tails (Mars), Golem Cores (Venus), Sylph Feathers (Jupiter), or Tear Stones (Mercury) will create items and armor of the respective element. I am not entirely sure of what these should be, but I am thinking of this:

[spoiler]

Venus:

Armor: Undecided
Weapon: Sol Blade

Jupiter:

Armor: I HAVE NO IDEA
Weapon: Shaman's Rod?

Mars:

Armor: Again, no clue.
Weapon: Uhh.. Demon Axe?

Mercury:

Armor: Guess. That is right: no idea.
Weapon: Blessed Ankh?

[/spoiler]

The Golem Cores, Salamander Tails, Sylph Feathers, and Tear Stones will most likely be dropped by Golden Sun mobs. I will work on this part after I am done with the items themselves. But, I am still completely open to suggestions regarding which monsters should be added and what they should drop, obviously.

Another thing that I may try for is compatibility with other mods such as Redpower, Buildcraft, and Industrialcraft (All of which might as well be part of the vanilla game, in my opinion). I was thinking a "Psynergy Generator" that uses a Black Orb to generate power using nearby Adepts , just like the system on the Lemurian Ship. In Minecraft, this would either mean consuming Psynergy Stones for power, or very slowly generating power whenever a player is near it. I do not think that I know enough Java to get to this any time soon, though.

As for creating Weyard in Minecraft, you are more than welcome to use my server once I update it to 1.4.6 and it is no longer on its temporary map. It will be running this mod, along with about seventy others... ...Okay, sorry... I will stop advertising... *foreveralone.png*

Aile~♥

Elemental weapons? That's a relatively easy pick:

Venus Weapon: Either Sol Blade or Gaia Blade. Sol Blade looks cooler, though.
Venus Armour: Asura's Armour (or Valkyrie Mail, but I think Asura's Armour is slightly less offensive to male characters. Even though the options are either an armoured dress or deliberately stripperific piece of women's armour. I mean, the Valkyrie Mail has nothing covering the arms and nothing covering most of the legs with the exception of two carefully-placed bands of metal on the thighs. Yeah, they went there.)

Mars Weapon: Atropos's Rod sounds like a cool choice here. Or Levatine.
Mars Armour: Iris Robe.

Jupiter Weapon: Either Excalibur or the Stellar Axe.
Jupiter Armour: Xylion Armour or Feathered Robe. Take your pick.

Mercury Weapon: Masamune or the Mythril Blade.
Mercury Armour: Either Triton's Ward or the Oracle's Robe. (The Oracle's Robe has what looks like either a pair of ethereal wings or a giant blue bow at the back, just looking at the icon. Either of which would make it instantly awesome.)
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Robert Joe

I finished my first draft of the armor/weapon sets.

Here is the Venus set:

I am quite happy with this one.

The Venus set probably will not have any special ability, but it will be stronger than the other sets.

Mars set:

While it works fine with Jenna there, I do not think that would work with Garet, for instance. I think you can figure out why. I am going to re-do the texture of this one.

The Mars set will probably grant immunity to lava and fire. Well... When I get to it...

Jupiter set:

This is rather low on detail, but I think that it is sufficient.

The Jupiter set of armor will most likely give the wearer increased movement speed and/or jump height.

Mercury set:

This has the exact same problem as the Mars set. Also, it is somewhat un-detailed. I am going to re-do this one as well.

The Mercury set will grant the wearer the ability to breath underwater, as well as a small healing effect.

I am going to refine the textures of the armor, and then start working on block textures. Any suggestions for both?

Rolina

I suggest swapping out the Sol Blade for the Gaia blade in venus, and having the Sol Blade be the Orihalcon sword instead.

Aile~♥

@Rolina: Um... They ALL require Orihalcon. Orihalcon + their elemental material.

@Robert Joe: You could probably get away with just editing the colour scheme on the Iris Robe and then it would work fine for pretty much anyone.

Robert Joe

Another update, not too many pictures this time around, as I have mainly been working on the code itself, I am going to re-do the textures later.

Anyway, the coding might take a little bit longer than normal, as I plan on designing it from the ground up to be fully-compatible with other mods (Mainly big-name technical mods like Industrialcraft, Buildcraft, Redpower, Universal Electricity, ect.). By default, it will also be configured to work with most modpacks as well. Even though it is only my second mod, I do not want it to be a mod that adds nothing other than "collectables" (Items that cannot interact with items from foreign mods).

I am currently working on IC2 compatibility:

Orihalcon can be placed in an Industrialcraft 2 Macerator to have the usual double yield of resources. Psynergy Stones (Not implemented yet, to be used for crafting non-weapon/armor items, such as Power Bread) will be compatible as well.

This will be quite useful, as I plan on making Orihalcon as rare as diamond. What do you guys think?

Also, Orihalcon is fully defined in the Forge Ore Dictionary, but something tells me that another mod using Orihalcon Ingots seems highly unlikely to ever exist.

While my original idea was to have all elemental sets, I like what Rolina suggested about having a plain Orihalcon set. Although, the Gaia Blade works better for it. As it is going to be less powerful than the elemental sets, and the Sol Blade is a better weapon than the Gaia Blade, unless I am terribly mistaken (Which I probably am, since I do not know too much about the Golden Sun stats).

I also had the idea of weapon unleashes. I might try for that once I am done with the items, blocks, and mobs.

After I am done coding the rest of the items and the mod compatibility stuff, I am going to start working on the blocks. Any suggestions for what they should be?

Robert Joe

I am sorry for double posting, but here is another update.

I have mainly been working on blocks:

There is going to be a whole set of Weyard blocks, that will allow you to build Golden Sun things and still have regular Minecraftian blocks available.

Weyard blocks are crafted with eight of their mundane Minecraftian counterparts and some Psynergy Dust. Psynergy Dust is acquired by macerating Psynergy Crystals....

What? What do you mean: "What if I am not running Industrialcraft 2?"? Are you implying that it is possible to play Minecraft without at least Industrialcraft, Buildcraft, and Redpower? ... Okay, fine. You can place them in a crafting grid for half of the yield that a macerator would give.

Speaking of Industrialcraft, this is another, more complex block that I am working on:

Ripped straight out of Pier's Lemurian Ship (Hopefully he will not mind, I gave him an old 2.5HP Outboard engine in exchange for it), it is a Psynergy Reactor. You know, that thing that needed the Black Orb in order to power the ship?

I have always assumed that when they said: "The Black Orb draws energy from nearby Adepts to power the ship", they actually meant: "The Black Orb generates electrical energy from the on-board Adept's Psynergy and uses it to power the craft's electric engine" (Hey, the Lemurians had that computer-like device, it is not too farfetched!).

Because of this, there is no reason why the Psynergy Reactor cannot be used to supply power to your Industrialcraft power grid. The Psynergy Reactor produces as much energy as a Geothermal Generator, but requires no fuel or outside sources in order to do so. The catch? It is extremely expensive, requiring multiple Orihalcon Blocks to craft, and Orihalcon is rarer than diamond.

And finally, I have been working on the armor:

I took Jamie's suggestion and recolored the Mars set:

I think that is sufficient, I wanted to stick to the original Golden Sun pallet.

I also remade the Mercury set:

I like this one much better, it still uses the correct pallet (Mostly), and Mia looks like much less of a Dummkopf while wearing it.

Also, on one final note, here is the non-elemental Orihalcon set:

Not too happy with it, but it works.

Any suggestions?

Robert Joe

What am I on now? A triple post?

Anyway, I have the first playable release of the mod out:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxcLILNM7mVuUURwMzdhUGQ4TXc/edit?usp=sharing (This is a version for Minecraft 1.4.7)

Just select "File", then "Download". For some reason, I am unable to link directly to the Zip file itself. Sorry about that.

This is an early alpha version, and a great deal of content is missing, but it is at least a start.

For the current time, this is what I have completed:

Elemental armor/weapon sets:
[spoiler]
Plain Orihalcon set:

[spoiler]

The Orihalcon set is not planned to have any special effect, nor is the Orihalcon weapon, the Gaia Blade. However, like all of the other Golden Sun weapons, the Gaia Blade does not suffer durability damage. Why? Because this mod is designed to be used in heavily-modded Minecraft, and I want the Golden Sun stuff to be able to still be a viable alternative to some of the extremely over-powered equipment introduced by other mods.

[/spoiler]

Venus set:

[spoiler]

Venus armor is a bit stronger than diamond, and that is planned to be its "Special Ability". The Venus weapon, the Sol Blade unleashes Weakness. Yes, this is quite pathetic compared to its unleash in Golden Sun, but I have not coded the proper unleashes yet since I am terrible at Java... Sorry about that! They will come at some point, though.[/spoiler]

Mars set:

[spoiler]

The Mars set is planned to give immunity to fire, but this will come in a later version. The Mars weapon, the Anthropos Rod, unleashes Wither.

[/spoiler]

Jupiter set:

[spoiler]

The planned ability for this set is increased jump height and immunity to fall damage. The Jupiter weapon, the Stellar Axe, unleashes Poison. [/spoiler]

Mercury set:

[spoiler]

The Mercury set will grant the wearer the ability to breath and mine unimpeded underwater. Masamune, the Mercury weapon, slows targets on hit.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Okay, I know what you are thinking: "Robert! You have already shown me this multiple times! Have you actually done anything with this mod in the past few weeks?".

Well... Um... A majority of the time that I have spent working on it was getting it running and bug-testing it on a server running 124 other mods. Still, there is a decent amount of added content:

Blocks:

[spoiler]

Yes, you have already seen those blocks there. It is the exact same image from the previous post. However, the grass now actually functions properly, Psynergy Stone blocks will heal you if you stand on top of them, and the logs and leaves now have an appropriate sapling.

Here are the new blocks:

These blocks are all taken from various important locations in Weyard. Clearly, this includes stone from Sol Sanctum, and brick from all four of the Elemental Lighthouses. The final two blocks are taken straight from Lamakan Desert. Because of this, walking on the sand will sap your strength, so be careful.

......... And when I said "taken from various important locations in Weyard", I of course mean that I attacked said important locations with a mining drill and copied the samples of material that I acquired. Hopefully those "Elemental Clans" will not mind the fact that large chunks are missing out of the side of their lighthouses! Besides, it is not like any of them will know it was me. I mean, are any of them going to read this pag-Ooohh.. Kaay. Moving swiftly on...

Both Psynergy Stone veins and Orihalcon veins will generate naturally in the world:

Psynergy Stone is quite common, but Orihalcon is exceedingly rare, even rarer than diamond in most cases.

[/spoiler]

Mod crossover items:

[spoiler]

Now you are most likely thinking: "Yes, those blocks that barely do anything are great and all. But, do you have anything that can actually help me survive? You know, other than just blocks essentially for building Golden Sun stuff in creative?"

Well, yes! Our researchers have been hard at work studying Adepts and Psynergy for the past few months! We have run a wealth of experiments, from giving incredibly psychotic and powerful Mars Adepts access to military-grade weaponry:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

To... Um... "Quizzing" not-at-all annoying Adepts in a completely safe and in no way life-threatening series of "Tests":

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Heck, we even collaborated with the the Jovian Empire to study it. Well, by "collaborated", I of course mean "Went to their capital city, hid behind a Faraday cage and threw rocks at their "Class-S" War Adepts just to see what would happen". But "Collaborated" sounds much better on my record. So that is the word that we are going to be using:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Anyway, all of this research has led to us developing a powerful upgrade to the Industrialcraft 2 Mining Laser that you know and love, the Psynergy Catalyst Rifle!:

Currently, only the "Jupiter" model is available. But this model is incredibly powerful! Just point at what you want gone, and pull the trigger! Whatever you aimed at will be obliterated by Spark Plasma!:

Unfortunately, the crafting recipe for this weapon is a closely guarded secret, and we cannot reveal it to you. Meaning that you are going to have to get it by pressing "r" over the item with NEI. But we can tell you that it probably does not involve animal abuse in any way, shape or form! So there is no need at all to worry about that!

Additionally, we also offer a modified Lemurian Psynergy Reactor to power your energy grids!:

Sadly, this device is extremely buggy, and barely works. I would not use it quite yet...

[/spoiler]

Crafting recipes:

[spoiler]

Item crafting:

[spoiler]

Note: Djinn currently cannot be legitimately acquired. This is because they are supposed to be dropped from mobs, and I have been experiencing extreme difficulty with adding said mobs to the game. I will add them in a future update. Again, this is a very early alpha version, and I am sorry about that.

[/spoiler]

Block crafting:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Smelting:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

IC2 Machine Recipes:

[spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler]

To-do list:

[spoiler]

- Fix the Psynergy Reactor

- Fix the mod's sounds

- Add Djinn mobs

- Add armor abilites

- Add better unleashes

- Add more types of Psynergy Rifles
[/spoiler]

Aile~♥

Looks pretty cool, so far! I don't have Minecraft, though, so I can't test it or give feedback. I'm just commenting in the hopes that somehow I can prevent the forum from dying a slow and painful death.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

I don't have Minecraft either.  I think I will do the prepaid gift card method when I get it... (If I get it anytime soon and don't change my mind, etc... ) I currently have about 29 dollars worth on Swagbucks, so...

All the good people don't have minecraft, and this project slowly dies a painful death. :'(

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

RTGreece21

If there's anything I can do to help, let me know. I might be able to do some models for the monsters or retexture something. I really love minecraft so a GS mod is right up my alley. Equipting abilities would be pretty cool too, if we could get that going.
"Optimistic about Pessimism."
"Want to see my good side? Hah heh heh... That was a trick question. All I have are good sides."[/color]

Robert Joe

Woah, sorry that I missed the responses here.

Anyway, I am still working on this, the project is far from abandoned. I will be skipping Minecraft 1.5.2, and instead releasing the next version for Minecraft 1.6. I am working on a number of things, most notably these:

[spoiler]- The Psynergy Reactor might actually work, and is going to be using the Universal Electricity API instead of the Industrialcaft API.

- I am trying to add sounds, but I am encountering a great deal of problems with that. Sorry.

- I do not think that I am experienced enough to add true Pysnergy yet (Adding abilities without items like that is a extremely difficult). However, for the time being, the Psynergy rifle is receiving a complete overhaul. It will feature a module system that will allow for it to fire various types of offensive and utility Psynergy. It will also have its own model, which I have been working on here:

- I am adding Djinn mobs (Of all elements), as well as a few other Golden Sun enemies, like Vermin.

-The armor is getting actual abilities, and will not take any durability damage in order to make it a viable alternative to something like a Quantum Suit or Powersuit to justify its cost.

- New alloys that use either Golden Sun materials Orihalcon and Psynergy stone, or a mixture of both Golden Sun materials and materials from other mods. These can be used to create new reinforced blocks for strong structures, amongst other things.

- Improved inter-compatibility with other mods. As well as more mod crossover items (Currently looking at Galacticraft, Thaumcraft, and ICBMs. Yes, Elemental Nukes and Summon Missiles.).

-I may work on models for some of the weapons as well.

-Improved textures, because the Orihalcon Block texture sucks. All will be directly lifted from the GBA Golden Sun games.
[/spoiler]
I really appreciate your offer to help out. If you want, you could help me create the models for the Djinn, as I am having quite some trouble with it. Also, I really like the idea with the Dragons and Elemental Lighthouse components, they would be great for adventure maps. I will look into that as well.

Rolina

...This reminds me of a zelda mod that BebopVox reviewed.

Robert Joe

Which mod? And how so? Although I am most likely wrong, I assume that you mean that I am adding a lot of stuff that is not directly related to Golden Sun. That is sort of the idea with "Mod crossover" items, though. I am attempting to make the mod fit in very well with a heavily-modded Minecraft client. And that entails adding a lot of things that are half-Golden Sun, and half-assault rifle or something.

I might add a configuration option to disable the crossover things if they are really disliked that much, though.