News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Golden Sun Minecraft Mod Discussion

Started by zman9000, 29, August, 2011, 03:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

Aye, the Zelda Mod was more of a Zelda Inspired mod.  Rather than have an option to "disable" stuff, why not just release it as two companion mods?  One doesn't necessarily need the other to work, but they build on each other.

Also, for your spell thing... I think you answered your own question.  Look at what the games themselves do - they get the same icons as weapons and items and stuff.  The trick is, though, to make it separate from the storage inventory so that it doesn't take up space.  You should have the ability to place it on the bottom bar, though.  I suppose another issue is to have an icon for the selection, but nothing in the hand...

Perhaps modify the equipment selection screen?  If you have people equip a primary weapon (which would automatically be slotted to slot 1 in the active inventory), then you could make what the player is holding default to that weapon when using the spell.  You can still switch to secondary weapons normally (from sword to bow or visa versa), but when selecting the spell it'll show what's in the weapon equip slot (or just your hand if that's empty).

Robert Joe

Having a mod that comes in multiple sections is not really that great of an idea. Many mods, such as ICBMs, do this and it makes installing everything a bit difficult. I really want to try to keep this mod in one clean .zip file instead of multiple ones.

So, I will probably have it work a bit differently, all the content that is a crossover with another mod will not be enabled unless that mod is detected (At the current time, this is not the case, as the IC2 things are enabled regardless of weather IC2 is installed or not). And also have a configuration option to disable them completely on top of that.

As for the Psynergy, that got me thinking a bit. I am not really experienced enough to edit the actual equipment setup, and doing so runs the risk of interfering with another mod and creating an incompatibility.

However, I could do something very similar. If I create some sort of item that can be equipped in a slot and right-clicked, I can make it so that it can be altered to act as multiple kinds of Psynergy. Basically, once you craft the item, you can equip it with, say a Douse Drop, and right-clicking with it will cast Douse.

Of course, this would still take up an inventory slot, and it is not that different from the Psynergy Rifle. In fact, the only difference would be the appearance and the fact that it would probably use Experience to activate, while the rifle would use electricity.

Let me keep trying things out and messing around with the code. I might be able to create proper Psynergy if I derp around enough. I have a decent amount of time before Minecraft, other mods, and my server update to 1.6, so I am not going to be that rushed.

Rolina

Oooh, I don't like the XP cost.  Even a limited number of uses would be better than that - you'd never get anyone to use it.  There's a lot of mods out there that add an MP bar.  Perhaps you can look and see how they did that?

Robert Joe

Hmm.. Affirmative,  you have a point there. Using Experience for Psynergy would not be that desirable. I will attempt to create a Psynergy Point system of some sort, but I might not be successful with that endeavor.

If I do end up going with the durability thing, I will make it so that Psynergy Stone and/or Psynergy Dust can be used to recharge the Psynergy item. As of right now, Psynergy Stone is incredibly common and almost useless. Everyone who has ever played the mod on survival mode either uses Psynergy Stone for IC2 Scrap or even just programs their sorters throw it into an incinerator. It desperately needs a use other than crafting the Golden Sun blocks, and while I am going to make it so that it can be used to generate electricity with the Psynergy Reactor, I want to try to add a pure-Golden Sun use for it as well.

I will continue to work in this...

Rolina

Definitely look into the various Magic and RPG mods out there then - they'll help with the MP thing.  With MP also comes use for psynergy stones.  Also, consider making all the Psynergy Tools OUT of psynergy stones - for example, you'd need a Psynergy stone, a block of snow, and a block of ice for a Frost Jewel or something.  Then Psynergy stones can be used to recharge it as if you're fusing two swords or something at the work bench.

Bam, three uses for Psynergy Stones right there - Recharging PP, Crafting, and Recharging Tools.

Also, consider making it quite rare.  Otherwise they might seem a bit OP, like Ambrosia was when the Aether mod first came out.

Robert Joe

I have not seen many magic mods recently other than Thaumcraft. However, it appears as if Ars Magica passed under my radar (I have no idea why I have not discovered this mod yet, it is quite nice). It is basically what I am trying to do with this mod, just very polished and generally better. Additionally, it has an API, so I can add a whole bunch of Psynergy spells to it (Although quite a few already exist in it that are virtually identical to Golden Sun spells).

However, I know that this is again, making more stupid mod crossover stuff that I seem to be obsessed with. However, I do want to try to have this mod posses some substance on its own, but the Mana system that I devised is extremely similar to the one in Ars Magica, and it would therefore be kind of illogical to make, as it would create an incompatibility with Ars Magica, which is more in-depth and well-done in that department.

Right now I am going to work on pure-Golden Sun stuff like Djinn and those annoying movable rock things that were in most puzzles. I will work on the magic system later, because I want to have some time to think about it. I do not know weather to go with an actual magic system or use Ars Magica's API. I could have it have its own system, and switch over to the API if Ars Magica is detected, which seems like the most logical bet, although it would be difficult to code.

I am also going to to work on make some modeled objects from Golden Sun, such as the statues from the various Lighthouses and those annoying rock things I mentioned. You are right, I need to actually add some real Golden Sun stuff before I start with "PSYNERGY NUKEZ" and other such nonsense.

Rolina

Can I ask a favor?  Can most of the explosive spells not destroy the hell out of the terrain?  I hate that about most magic mods.  Can't use fire spells without obliterating the landscape...

Aile~♥

Is there some reason you can't base the PP metre code for your mod on the MP metre code from the Ars Magica mod? Just use that as a base for your mod, then make your own spells and suchlike and add the rest of your stuff. Or is that considered stealing?
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Dullahan1116

While not technically illegal, it is HIGHLY frowned upon to use someone else's code directly. (That doesn't mean that one cannot look at the code to see how someone did a certain thing that is stumping you.)

By the way, this is Eli Dacreach/EliteCreature (I don't really know why I used the name I did, or why (or how) I made an account back in 2011...?)

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

@annoying rock things: If you are talking about the ones you use "Move" on, they are probably pillars, but I like to call them statues myself, :)

@Copying other peoples work: Or better yet, ask for permission to use someone else's code. Isn't that what some people can be afraid to do, and yet, it's the very thing that let's other know they have been helpful. (If they agree to sharing.) And even if they don't, the message still gets across: "We like what you did there!" However, there is one exception to that, and that's when you try to hack their program to see code they may want to keep private to themselves. (Especially if there's any indication that you shouldn't "hack" said program/ROM.)

@Eli Dacreach/EliteCreature: Oh, hello there, I don't know you, but have you ever considered introducing yourself in the Introductions?
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Robert Joe

Yeah, as Eli Dacreach said, copying other people's code without their permission is extremely rude. While I personally consider anything that I code to be public domain (Not that anyone could really do anything with it, it is quite poorly-written), you have to respect the wishes of the particular mod's creator. If they do not want anyone messing with it (Like the creator or Arcs Magica appears to request), then you do not do so.

This subject is actually a rather common source of drama in the Minecraft modding community. Although it usually takes the form of a Modpack containing a mod that the original creator does not want re-uploaded.

Anyway, I am currently working on the Psynergy API. This might take me a while, as I have had a large amount of real life issues appear recently that I have been having to tend to. I should have it done within the next month, though.

Dullahan1116

@Teawater: uh....oops...my bad  :Sweat:

To follow up Robert Joe's previous post, considering our current skills (or lack thereof) in the java department, RJ and I have decided to dedicate the rest of this year to gaining a better understanding of Java, and digging into minecraft code to figure out how best to proceed.

We would like to make as high quality of a mod as possible, that many will find enjoyable, and that will be cross-compatible with as many other mods as possible. We will keep you updated on our progress.

Thunder-squall

Quote from: Robert Joe on 08, January, 2013, 08:53:28 PM
I am sorry for double posting, but here is another update.

I have mainly been working on blocks:

There is going to be a whole set of Weyard blocks, that will allow you to build Golden Sun things and still have regular Minecraftian blocks available.

Weyard blocks are crafted with eight of their mundane Minecraftian counterparts and some Psynergy Dust. Psynergy Dust is acquired by macerating Psynergy Crystals....

Hey, would you feel ok posting these skins?  I'm not doing anything with Minecraft, but I might try to use these with a simple 3d map editor I'm making using lua and Love2d.  Using stuff that resembles Golden Sun would be cool.

Dullahan1116

Quote from: Thunder-squall on 07, February, 2014, 09:42:11 AM
Quote from: Robert Joe on 08, January, 2013, 08:53:28 PM
I am sorry for double posting, but here is another update.

I have mainly been working on blocks:

There is going to be a whole set of Weyard blocks, that will allow you to build Golden Sun things and still have regular Minecraftian blocks available.

Weyard blocks are crafted with eight of their mundane Minecraftian counterparts and some Psynergy Dust. Psynergy Dust is acquired by macerating Psynergy Crystals....

Hey, would you feel ok posting these skins?  I'm not doing anything with Minecraft, but I might try to use these with a simple 3d map editor I'm making using lua and Love2d.  Using stuff that resembles Golden Sun would be cool.

You are going to have to explain this....

(just want to note, for many of the natural and *simple* blocks (such as bricks and stone based materials) all we need is a single 16x16, 32x32, 64x64, 128x128, or 256x256 image to put that texture on it... From that point all it takes is a single block of code, and (provided you have the right hooks for the mod in general, and registered your block correctly) Wallah! You have a simple block with a texture!)

Actually, now I realize that I read your post wrong -_-' sorry.

[well, a little info on an item that is perfectly safe and open to the public never hurt anybody ;P]

Thunder-squall

I just want someone to post square pictures.  Any size or format is fine.

zman9000

I haven't been on the site and look what i missed. My idea became a thing. though i really had no part in it i'm glad its a thing.
kinda sad i didn't realize it was out, even partly finished, for a year now.

Have to look into this.

Also about the mod. one main thing i was having trouble with recreating a area from golden sun in normal minecraft was the logs rolling in water. (or on land)
I have no idea how you would do it, or if its even possible in minecraft with out lagging the hell out of it.

well i'll try it out and i hope to see more. Amazing work Robert Joe!!!
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Luna_blade

QuoteI haven't been on the site and look what i missed. My idea became a thing. though i really had no part in it i'm glad its a thing.
kinda sad i didn't realize it was out, even partly finished, for a year now.

Have to look into this.

Also about the mod. one main thing i was having trouble with recreating a area from golden sun in normal minecraft was the logs rolling in water. (or on land)
I have no idea how you would do it, or if its even possible in minecraft with out lagging the hell out of it.

well i'll try it out and i hope to see more. Amazing work Robert Joe!!!
I don't know if this another project or not but as far as I know Eli Dacreach and RobertJoe have been working together and made the mod in this topic:
http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=2350.msg40427;topicseen
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Dullahan1116

I'm back. I only have a few weeks of definite free time though, so don't expect alot. (I am mainly going to work on some basic modding stuff (the foundation of the mod, if you will)) {I also lost alot of data from a computer crash... but that is not a big deal since I remember most of what I did.}

Rolina

Hey, Eli... look into Ars Magica 2.  It's got a lot of magical effects and stuff, including beam shaped spells.  Should help you a lot if you want to mod in GS spells or something.

Luna_blade

Wow Eli you're back!

I take it then that really nothing has happened with the mod in the meantime? Because I recall you moving to reddit and I thought you continued the mod there...

Unfortunate that you lost so much stuff, though.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"