News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

the useless things of dark dawn

Started by ThanatosTheDark, 04, September, 2011, 08:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThanatosTheDark

Dark dawn has plenty of useless things.

That feather. I understand that was the whole point of the quest, but once you get it its useless.

Sveta's sniff psynergy. You actually use it once in the whole game.

Points of no return. This is just self explanitory. And why can't you get freeroam once you beat the game?

The return of star magician. Excuse me, GHOST of star magician. I killed him 30 years ago, why do I have to do it again? Why didn't any of the other bosses come back? I wold have been glad to fight sentinel or valukar again.

Feel free to add any useless thing in DD, I'm sure I missed some.
I am nothing more than a nothingness that never was.

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Sveta's sniff psynergy. You actually use it once in the whole game.
Twice, actually. Once in the ruins where you first meet her, and the other is to get to the Apollo Sanctum.

ThanatosTheDark

Really... I don't remember the apollo.

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

It's at the end of the Apollo Path, before Apollo Sanctum Gate.

Rolina

Wait, isn't the time at Apollo the only time you ever use it?  I actually had to use Insight there because I forgot the spell even existed...

leaf

Well, I think it's the only time you have to use it. Technically you're "supposed" to use it when you get sveta the first time, but that time you could easily get through just with some small trial and error (no more than you would have to on any other level, anyway). There are probably some other times in the game where it does something useless, but it's not exactly a spell that I spammed constantly hoping to find something.

You know... I'll bet that puzzle at the very end of the game is the whole reason the insight psynergy even exists lol
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Rolina

Possibly.  Still, I think that when we make our hacks we should try and keep this in mind - perhaps have a cutoff point.  Ask yourself "How many times am I going to have them use this spell?"  If it's below... say, 10, cut the spell from the game entirely, or simply make it a secondary trait of an already-existing spell.

Another thing... can't this be added to the "lessons we learned from dark dawn" thread?

ThanatosTheDark

QuoteAnother thing... can't this be added to the "lessons we learned from dark dawn" thread?

No it can't, because this is complaining, not learning.

Rolina

And that thread is complaining disguised as lessons learned.  Basically, it's "things you hated about dark dawn".

Durza

Well this is something useless I didn't really hate for a while. The amount of time it takes to use Psynergy compared to the old games. Mind Read: half a second and you're in their head. Spirit Sense takes far to long for what it does. Same with Search compared to Reveal.
It's not a lie if you don't want to be believed. You're can't be wrong if you don't think you're right.

Charon

The 3 second gap for the new version of Reveal was completely unnecessary, and it was disappointing how underimplemented it was in comparison to the previous 2 games.

Rolina

There's also the fact that seeing the unseen and the powers of prophesy were specifically stated in previous games to fall under the realm of Jupiter.  Having Venus, it's elemental opposite, able to do this flies in the face of established canon.

feraljack1200

Spirit sense.. A mind read late in the game??? And no animals to use it on??? how stupid!
I like Ivan lots! :Ivan: :Ivan: My favorite character is Ivan!

Durza

Quote from: Role on 10, September, 2011, 02:28:25 AM
There's also the fact that seeing the unseen and the powers of prophesy were specifically stated in previous games to fall under the realm of Jupiter.  Having Venus, it's elemental opposite, able to do this flies in the face of established canon.

This is definitely one of the weirder things. As well as Karis not being able to read minds, despite almost every Jupiter Adept in other games seemingly being able to. (I know she said she didn't 'inherit' the power, but that seems like an excuse for not programming mind read data in the early game.)

And of course, Jupiter suddenly having the second most powerful healing psynergy.
It's not a lie if you don't want to be believed. You're can't be wrong if you don't think you're right.

Frog

Umm, I'm probably wrong, but didn't she say at some point she didn't WANT to learn the power?
As in she made no effort to learn it...
Not on too often, but I'm still here!

Aile~♥

Actually, based on what we've seen of Jupiter healing, that would make Mars the second most powerful healing element (assuming its single-target is proportionately powerful to its multi-target), Jupiter third place, and Venus dead last.

And I've a theory about the Third Eye: It and the other two Eyes (First Eye, probably Mars, and Second Eye, otherwise known as the Insight Glass) were gifts from Jupiter Clan to the other three Clans, in exchange for some service. They each provide whichever one of Jupiter's sight-related powers matches best with the other element: Venus can see the unseen, Mercury can see solutions (a variation of the power of prophecy), and I'm not sure what Mars would do. This also meshes with Karis' absurd theory that their ancestors put the Insight Glass in the temple KNOWING that it would be found by Ayuthay. If her theory is correct, those who put the Insight Glass there had the power of prophecy, meaning they were Jupiter Adepts, or that they had friends who were Jupiter Adepts.

@Frog: Yes, that's what I'd say as well, but the use of the word "inherit" implies that she actually CANNOT learn it. Which is impossible in-canon, as the first GS already states that Mind Read is available to all Jupiter Adepts, as is Reveal and the power of prophecy.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

@Frog: Yes, that's what I'd say as well, but the use of the word "inherit" implies that she actually CANNOT learn it. Which is impossible in-canon, as the first GS already states that Mind Read is available to all Jupiter Adepts, as is Reveal and the power of prophecy.
So, if all wind users can read minds, see the unseen and predict the future, why can't Karis?

Frog

Well reveal had to be taught in both gba games, so that line about inheritting mind reading aside, she simply never learnt, or wanted to learn.
(Ivan's a lazy dad.)

She does talk quite a bit about the dark side of all those powers in the game, so it's not really a suprise she never decided to learn them.
Not on too often, but I'm still here!

Salanewt

I recall it being explained that the ability to read minds was like a double edged blade or something, so she opted not to learn it because of that.

But seriously, she must be an abnormal teenager if she thinks that it wouldn't be a cool ability. I mean, Mind Read is an awesome ability!

QuoteShe does talk quite a bit about the dark side of all those powers in the game, so it's not really a suprise she never decided to learn them.

Well, I suppose so... But still, she could exercise some self control and still learn it.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Aile~♥

Apparently she doesn't want to be looked down on for having the ability.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]