News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

anyone scared of nightmares?

Started by ThanatosTheDark, 20, September, 2011, 11:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThanatosTheDark

Here's an idea for a hack.

How about making golden sun scary, creepy, and gory?

It would defininently need to be edited by color. We could add new moves, weapons that reflect fear, and enemies. The story could be changed into something like a resident evil scenario and the world will destroy itself.

Any other ideas?
I am nothing more than a nothingness that never was.

Griever

Sorry, but I'm gonna be the first one against this idea.

Cannot even imagine golden sun that way >_<

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

QuoteThe story could be changed into something like a resident evil scenario.
Goldensun + Resident Evil? That may be the greatest game ever made, if someone makes it.

Awec

I'm sorry, but there's no way you will ever make the character models creepy.
Seriously, the overworld models are adorable. And you'd have to remove all the emoticons that come up...

It just wouldn't be Golden Sun. Unless you were thinking of mock-creepy.
I. Am. A. Spoon.
Yes, a spoon that is awesome that is a Jupiter adept that is one of the Anemos that lives on the freaking moon.
What of it?

Charon

Golden Sun Nightmares?...

=_=

No. The engine isn't really built around that kind of "jump and scary" kind of gameplay. No matter how scary you made a monster it still wouldn't be very scary in battle...

Feroz

Don't Scare Me because it will not look good.
;We dont like the Idea!!!
I should try to help out.

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Yeah, this hack would suck. But someone should make a Goldensun/Resident Evil crossover.

Salanewt

The idea of a crossover is fun, but some games just can't be put together very well. For example, if I were to try to make a hack of Super Mario Galaxy with Dr. Salvador as a boss, it would probably be thought of as a bizarre parody instead of a fun game. However, putting Samus or Link in as a cameo in the game could work due to the characters being in the same universe - maybe not original, but it wouldn't exactly be wrong either.

And yeah, sorry about this, but... Well, Golden Sun and Resident Evil is a bit of an odd combination.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

And yeah, sorry about this, but... Well, Golden Sun and Resident Evil is a bit of an odd combination.
Who cares how odd it sounds? I mean, I found a crossover pic of Mario Brothers and TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN. Now THAT'S and odd combination.

Misery

I for one could see it work, but I certainly don't think it would be worth to hack Golden Sun for it. Mainly because you'd have to take the focus away from battle a lot and move on to things that require more work, both in terms of hacking and game design.

To begin with, you couldn't have a team of magical warriors, not like they're seen in the original games at least. Nothing is scary if you're controlling a group of impressive fighters, regardless of theme or difficulty. Pokémon-style familiars that power you up don't go well with the idea either, and you'd probably have to throw out the class system as well (i.e. all characters remain in base classes). Powerful legendary items? Treasure hunting? Those aren't exactly unsettling either.

Golden Sun's flavor of puzzle solving has no place in a horror game. I imagine it would have to be more quest-based, with a lot of key items. You could still have a few "push and pull", "use this on that" type of puzzles to get from place to place, but then there should be some sort of danger element involved.

There would have to be fewer battles, most of them scripted, against specific enemies/monsters/special characters, for the purpose of pacing the story. Lots of random battles means there is too much "action" in the game. If there are random battles they should be rare, and against horrifying creatures with a high probability of killing your entire party. Some new battle backgrounds would be necessary.

If you have a good horror story to tell, the coding ability and the artistic talent necessary to fill the void that this idea leaves in the game, I suggest you make your own game instead of hacking Golden Sun.

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Now, I know I said a GS/RE crossover'd be cool. But how about a Goldensun/Devil May Cry crossover instead? That way we can keep the fancy gear and everything, and still make a horror game.

You'd start off with Isaac, and maybe Garet aswell, but you'd unlock everyone else as the game progresses.
They'd be found on various levels, and you have to help them to get them playable. The eight original heroes would be playable of course, but we could also have the four Proxians and other such characters as playables. But not Alex, he wouldn't be playable.

Now, obvioulsy, you can't take everyone into the levels. You'd pick the characters you want to take into the level from a character select screen, a bit like the status screen in GS. Then leave the others behind. You'd buy your gear in a similar way to the items on DMC. 
There won't be a revive spell, if a character gets downed mid-level you'd need to use a Water of Life on them to bring them back.

ThanatosTheDark

I was thinking of having it be nighttime all the time and the undead enemies(zombies, mummies,spirits, ect.) Would attack in hordes of like 10.

Nero's idea is pretty cool, but we could stay to the gs/re crossover by making it so that you'd have to save the other characters. You'd get your pick of felix or isaac and you'd have to save jenna in, say, kimbombo because the tribe is infected and are offering her to the kimbombo statue.

Sounds good to me.

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

So, who's idea are we focusing on? My GS/DMC, or the GS/RE one?

Oh, and each character uses only one weapon type in my idea, some of which weren't in GS, but are what I think would fit each character best in my idea.

Main Characters.

Isaac - Long Swords.
Garet - Axes.
Ivan - Dual Short Swords.
Mia - Staves.
Felix - Katanas.
Jenna - Chakrams.
Sheba - Maces.
Piers - Guns. (Yeah, Piers with GUNS. LOL, I didn't know any other weapon to give him.)

Other Characters.

Saturos - Arm Blades. (Think Yoshitsune in Warriors Orochi 2 or Dekar in the Lufia 2 remake)
Menardi - Scythes.
Karst - Dual Kamas.
Agatio - Gauntlets. (Like the Gilgamesh and Beowulf weapons in DMC 3&4)
Moapa - Spears.
Briggs - Cutlasses.

I'm not sure if any of the other characters, like Hama should be playable yet. Oh, Should it have GS3 characters, or is that too many PCs for one game?

Charon

To be honest, a Resident Evil crossover sounds like it would be incredibly lame and doesn't work at all...

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Quote from: Charon the Ferryman on 21, September, 2011, 05:16:27 PM
To be honest, a Resident Evil crossover sounds like it would be incredibly lame and doesn't work at all...
So what about my idea, then? Or is that one too stupid, too?

ThanatosTheDark

I think it could work... once I get my new pc, I'll try to make it

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

I've changed my mind about the GS/RE crossover. I don't think it'd work now. It sounded cool at first, but now, I think it'll be kinda lame. I don't even know if my GS/DMC crossover idea would work.

Charon

It's just two things that don't mix, especially in gameplay respects. What makes Resident Evil awesome and scary is not necessarily the monsters themselves but the monsters combined with the startling gameplay. Golden Sun doesn't use that "startle" mechanic at all and thus would ruin the effect. I mean, it'd basically be some kinda scary thing just (relatively) slowly popping out on the map and attacking you in a calm, turn-based enviornment.

It'd be like taking your time to put tf2 Engie in SSB, basically. It can be done but it would ruin the gameplay concept and either make it useless or not a similar experience, which kills the concept altogether.

dwkjohn

maybe you cld hack resident evil and add gs characters. u know, the other way around. but I don't know how to. haha
Just sayin'.  

,-~~-.___.            Golden Sun
  /   |  '         \   Hacking Community
(     )           0              |
   \_/-, ,------'              /
      ===                     //                   
      /    \-'~;    /~~~(O)
    /    __/~|__/         |   
=(  _____| (_________|
All your internet entertainment.

Charon

That actually makes a lot more sense, and would make some of those bosses waaaay more intense.

Of course it would be very difficult... but still >_>

Griever

WOW, Resident Evil with GS characters actually sound awesome ... I have not played RE for a while ... nor do i know that there are hacks for it lol.

Nice idea john ^_^

Misery

I think you should just try to settle with a cool, horror/darkness *themed* hack. That seems to be what you'd end up with in a best case scenario anyway.

Btw, group of 10 enemies - not possible. 7 is the absolute max. And 3 zombies is the most you can have, unless you make them midget sized. Enemies can call on other enemies though...

ThanatosTheDark

When I said 10, I ment that once you kill a zombie, another one appears.

dwkjohn

I think ill google if is possible to hack RE but it wld be extremely hard.

.......... idea......... djinn with tentacles. lol or kraden.
Just sayin'.  

,-~~-.___.            Golden Sun
  /   |  '         \   Hacking Community
(     )           0              |
   \_/-, ,------'              /
      ===                     //                   
      /    \-'~;    /~~~(O)
    /    __/~|__/         |   
=(  _____| (_________|
All your internet entertainment.