News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Disappointing sequels

Started by Frog, 01, October, 2011, 11:31:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Misery

Geez Nero, you're slow...
When this was posted I recall that I, not having played the game, checked to see if everyone's favorite AVGN had something to say about it. He did, and it was pretty much exactly what you just wrote.

I have to agree that drowning in the town's local pond would be a very disappointing end for a legendary vampire hunter. But it still seems like a pretty cool game...

Thorion

Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest. 'Nuff said.

Rolina

Quote from: MegaDarkNero on 08, November, 2011, 03:36:00 PM
Quote from: Role on 08, October, 2011, 08:45:46 AM
Quote from: Charon the Ferryman on 08, October, 2011, 07:48:16 AM
Nobody mentions Castlevania II: Simon's Quest?
I LIKED that game!
WHAT!? REALLY!? Okay, you asked for it. The game designers were either lazy, or rushed. The first time I played it, it SEEMED like a pretty okay game, a bit different from the other Castlevania games, but, I thought yeah, okay, other sequels to great games were different that the originals like Mario 2 and Zelda 2.
And the whole going through towns and all that kind reminded me of Zelda 2, so there I was, expecting a great game, but when it goes from day to night, and that pointless textbox pops up saying "what a horrible night to have a curse" it kind pissed me off, and it happens a lot, every few minutes it does that.
Why did they think it'd be a good idea to have that in there? Were they trying to take the piss?
That stupid box is one of the most annoying things in any game I've played. The enemies are tougher and the shops are closed at night, but does the game have to stop when it changes between day and night?
NO. They didn't need to do that, but they did.
And why is it that you die when you fall in the water? Does Simon Belmont not know how to swim? So wait, the legendary vampire hunter, Simon Belmont CAN'T EVEN SWIM? LOL.
Another annoying thing is why do you have to buy weapons and items? Yeah, you see it all the time in most games, like RPGs or Zelda (I keep mentioning that game) but why can't he not find them in chests, or after beating enemies? Why are hearts money, anyway? Usually hearts restore life, but now, they're MONEY? And the items you buy are too damn expensive, and it just takes too long to get enough hearts to buy something.
And you know what? I DON'T WANNA GRIND IN A PLATFORMER! Grinding is for RPGs. And Castlevania is NOT an RPG! And when you die you lose all your hearts, not even Pokemon does this, you do lose half your money of you lose in Pokemon, but not all of it like in this piece of crap.
So you have to do boring @#$% over and over again if you keep losing. And then, you need to buy a plant to cross a swamp.
One of the thing that pisses me off the most about this game is those pitfalls, you know, where it looks like you can keep walking, but you fall right through what LOOKS like floor. You have to keep throwing holy water to see where those spots are, so time consuming.
And there's ALMOST NO FREAKING BOSSES AT THE END OF DUNGEONS, only an orb you're supposed to hit with an oak stake. And how about that part with the magic tornado? Ugh. The only surefire way you'll ever get to the end of this horrible, horrible game is to use a code, but even that's boring to do.
The final level is anticlimatic, all you do is just keep walking till you get to 'Dracula'. Dracula himsefl looks dumb, he's more like a Grim Reaper than Dracula, all he does is just float around and throw sickles. He's a joke if you use the 'flame trick'. The game is just bad, pure and simple forget using a code, forget even playing this abomination, forget even buying the cartridge. If you find a copy of it just burn the sucker to oblivion. Nobody should ever play Simon's Quest. EVER.

How can anyone like this pile of steaming horse @#$%?

So basically, because my opinion on what I like of games differs from yours, you feel obligated to attack my opinion because you view it as inferior, is that right?

"How dare she have a different opinion than me.  I must explain to her that her preference in game style is wrong!"

Tan

Final Fantasy X-2. Gameplay was pretty fun. However, the game in general? Oh god. Oh dear god. What the hell did they do to yuna and rikku and oh dear mother of kraden.
"Video Games"
-Raocow

Kain

Seeing as the topic is about game sequels, there's bound to be lots of different opinions.  Back on topic though, I agree with Tan.  I hated Yuna before...X-2 didn't do her any justice.

The recent Mortal Kombat game...while fun and interesting, I was disappointed with it.  I was hoping for another open world story mode like Deception had with an expansive character list.  Instead, we have fight after fight in story mode and a rather limited list of characters.
You misspelled retard...oh the irony!

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

So basically, because my opinion on what I like of games differs from yours, you feel obligated to attack my opinion because you view it as inferior, is that right?

"How dare she have a different opinion than me.  I must explain to her that her preference in game style is wrong!"
Calm down. I know you like different games than me, but Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest is a bad game.
Now, don't get me wrong, I like Castlevania, hell I love Castlevania, but Simon's Quest is one of the worst games I ever played. I did like the music, and some of the weapons were cool, like the flame whip, but the game itself? UGH.

Okay, then. If you like Simon's Quest so much, name 5 good things about the game.

Talking about bad video game sequels, what about Star Ocean 3? The awesome music and the battles were all I played it for.  The plot? The hero and two other people were genetically modified to basically march into heaven to kick the living @#$% out of god. You get stranded on two medieval-ish planets, take part in a huge war, fight a battleship with a weapon you helped make strapped to a dragon's back, your dad dies, and you find out that the whole universe is an MMO? And that's where the whole game goes to pot.

Rolina

On the contrary, I prefer the style that Simon's Quest had, while being a little less interested in the other castlevania games.  This is a matter of personal preference, Nero.  I could name five things, but you won't agree with me because what you and I see as pluses and minuses to a game are two different things.

DROP IT.  There was no need to go into a huge rant about why my personal preferences are wrong.  God, you're almost as bad as me when politics is brought up...

Thorion

You know, I actually kinda enjoyed Simon's Quest. It was a good game, a flawed game maybe, but still good, the only thing that makes it disappointing are the flaws.

Durza

Isn't that what makes everything disappointing?

Every Sonic game after the first... three maybe.
It's not a lie if you don't want to be believed. You're can't be wrong if you don't think you're right.

RagnarokEmissary

Soul Calibur 5. That's all I'm gonna say.

zman9000

shall I say super paper mario? new super mario bros 2? just about every new mario game?
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Jiten

Quote from: zman9000 on 06, November, 2012, 02:20:36 AM
shall I say super paper mario? new super mario bros 2? just about every new mario game?

Mario has been done to death, there's not much to say about him.

Aile~♥

I generally find myself more interested in the partners that join Mario's party in the Paper Mario games. I'm rather disappointed with the genre change in Super Paper Mario, and it looks like I'm going to be disappointed by the battle system of Paper Mario: Sticker Star as well.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Jiten

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 07, November, 2012, 08:37:28 AM
I generally find myself more interested in the partners that join Mario's party in the Paper Mario games. I'm rather disappointed with the genre change in Super Paper Mario, and it looks like I'm going to be disappointed by the battle system of Paper Mario: Sticker Star as well.

1 game for every genre.

Shinigami

Super Paper Mario is actually fun if you have not payed the previous games...
Which I had not, so...
Although I want to now~_~
So nanoka~