News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Puella Magi☆Suzuko Magica

Started by Rolina, 24, October, 2011, 08:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

I'm not going to post a torrent of the anime, I've already discussed this.  If you really want more examples, I'll link you to the wiki again, but the style for sprites, I can't help you there.  I need a sprite artist for that, and I don't have the artistic skill needed to imitate a style of art.

http://wiki.puella-magi.net/Characters

The styles differ based on real world setting/location and characters vs witch's barrier, which will largely be independent, just like the source.

If you are unfamiliar with the source, please familiarize yourself before asking for samples or anything else.  That means watch the anime, read the Oriko manga, read the Kazumi manga, hell, read the manga version of Madoka while you're at it.  Familiarize yourself with how fanart is typically done for the series too.

Rolina

...Why did you put that in quotes?  Just talk normally...

Misery

Quote from: Jiten on 06, November, 2011, 10:30:51 AM
"I'll take a look and scout around and see what I can get, then I'll get the programs and see if I can do what needs to be done." "In the meantime, I'll look over the info some more and see what the details are and scan it all..."
First off, have you watched the anime? That's a simple way to find out if you're interested in helping out to begin with. That is, if you liked it, you'd probably be interested in this as well. It's short and sweet at 12 episodes, and there are several places where you can watch it online.

Anyway, Role... have you considered trying to learn the necessary skills yourself? It may be somewhat difficult to get into, but I think most hackers just try to learn stuff because they want to change games on their own. That's how it has been for me at least.
(Just don't try to learn art, as it would put me out of a job :Sweat:)

Rolina

I don't think they have.  Hell, they asked me for a sample of the art...  I'll try to do what I can, but stuff like learning the art and what not... that takes years of practice, and I hope to have this released before I'd be good enough as an artist to do the art...

As for the programming things that are needed, yes, I do intend to learn them.  I expect to do most of the work myself, so it's gonna be a necessity.

Misery

Yes, I was mainly thinking about the technical stuff. I already said I'd give you a hand with the art for this (but it's still worth considering for future projects...). I'd help with actual graphics and sprites as well, but I realize it's quite a huge undertaking and I probably won't have time for it. Maybe later on when you have something more substantial, you could advertise this elsewhere and hopefully get a good spriter interested.

Rolina

Well, to be honest, this hack is probably at least two years off before I start any real work on it. Until then, I can brainstorm how I want to do it and type up and alpha script, but in terms of actual work, I want to work up to this.  That's why I'm starting small and ending with this.  First comes the tweaks, in the form of TLA Remix.  Then comes the original story.  Then comes this, which is the reworking.  Once the other two projects are finished, work will really begin to take off on this.  For all we know, you may be very much less busy by the time this becomes more than just talk, so let's worry more about it when we get to it.

Until then, though, you're welcome to do character sketches and stuff if you want, nobody's stopping you there, but actual sprite work and what not we may want to hold off on until later.

zman9000

Quotethis hack is probably at least two years off before I start any real work on it.
this is just about every big hack on this site...
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Rolina

Quote from: zman9000 on 08, December, 2011, 01:28:35 AM
Quotethis hack is probably at least two years off before I start any real work on it.
this is just about every big hack on this site...
With damn good reason.  You can't do it if you don't have a completed editor.  I am, quite literally, being held back by its slow development.

zman9000

Yes but he is taking apart a game that took a few years to make, by more then one person. he has to decode every part of the game and program another program to work with it. he also has a life, plus his job doesn't exactly make it easy. add in the fact that to work on a big project like this and get it done at a good pace you need a few people working on it. and it has to be people in the same place other wise two people working on it might end up with two different projects and the whole thing will be a mess.

Basically there is NOTHING anyone can do to speed up its progress.
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Rolina

You think I don't know that?  What exactly are you trying to say here, z?  If you're trying to pick a fight, I'll just have to report you for it.  I know damn good and well why it's taking so long, that's why I'm being rather patient about it.  That's why I'm estimating AT LEAST TWO YEARS before I even think about starting this.

If you have nothing good to say or contribute, get out.

Charon

Zman has a legitimate point. Atrius has a life, give him a break. All you can do is at this point do everything that you can that is possible with the editor and hold tight for the next release.

Rolina

Uh, no.  No he doesn't.  I specifically said this wasn't happening for years BECAUSE I have to give time for atrius to finish.  Don't just spin this to make it sound like I'm trying to push atrius.

Charon

True, but he's not trying to disband the whole project, he's more just like "well there's not much you can do until Atrius is done".

Rolina

The way he put it, it sounded like he was chewing me out for trying to rush Atrius, when I have done no such thing in this thread.

zman9000

QuoteThe way he put it, it sounded like he was chewing me out for trying to rush Atrius, when I have done no such thing in this thread.
Sorry about that, its just me failing to word things right so people understand I'm just pointing something out, not smacking you in the face with it...

Rolina

Yeah... the thing is, Atrius is not only one person, but he's one person stuck in the military.  He's got darn good reasons for taking this long, so the best thing to do here is to be patient and simply ask for the occasional status update.

This hack probably won't be done for a very long time to come - at least 2 years after a version of the editor that can handle most of it is released.  Besides, usually when I pester Atrius about updates it's in the Cbox, not in a thread.

Rolina

New information added - Unleashes section edited into Game Mechanics post.  Feel free to comment or make suggestions.

zman9000

QuoteAtrius is not only one person
I know. He's actually 3 people, a fish, and a dog. (out of context ftw)

As for the unleashes, it sounds interesting, but can it be done? An upgrading Unleash system sounds cool in theory. But first, implementing that is another thing. And you are going to have different weapons right? so when switching to a new weapon, you can right away use the best level of the item right away if the level? Doesn't this mean that they may miss some unleashes?

Two things. Dark Dawn had maybe a few interesting things i can point out. first The swords leveled and unlocked more unleash versions. Second the down side is you could use more then one per weapon. And its picked randomly.

So if you could do what dark dawn did, minus the multi-unleash thing, and they upgrade instead, I think that would be good (at least from my point of view).

(anything i misunderstood or got wrong let me know...)

Rolina

Do you have anything to say about my actual hack idea and the edits I've made, or are you still trying to pick pointless fights with me?

zman9000

nuuuuuuuuuuu!!!

I put this just in case...
(anything i misunderstood or got wrong let me know...)
looks like i need to make it bold....

first off
this
QuoteNew information added - Unleashes section edited into Game Mechanics post.
and
QuoteUnleashes

Unlike in Golden Sun, unleashes behave differently in this hack.  As the Puella Magi levels up, they will have a chance of preforming a quick skill rather than a standard attack.  This skill is unique to the Puella Magi, and the strength, attack type, and rate of attack differs based on the puella magi themselves.  Unleashes do not have the same power as actual skills, however.

Suzuko:  Strongest skill of the group, strength based multiplier (1.55x?).  Rate is 50% of current level.
Kaoru:  Skill uses agility as basis for power, ignores 30% of target's defense (alternatively, if possible, ignores a percentage of defense based on 75% of Kaoru's level).  Rate is 75% of current level.
Harumi:  Skill uses Max MP as basis for power, low powered multiplier (1.35x?).  Rate is 65% of current level.
Maiko:  Skill chooses random from Strength, Agility, and Max MP based attack (animation matches which base it uses).  Multiplier, likely (1.35?).  Rate is 90% of current level.  As an added note, remember that Maiko is likely 2nd best in these areas.  The higher unleash rate balances the jack of trades nature of the character... or at least, that's the idea.

These skills are not particularly flashy or spectacular, but rather are meant to act as a step up from critical attacks, as well as allow a more reliable attack command for when conserving MP is required.

I think i misunderstood what you meant with the unleashes... ... fuken terms and details. [{(Is this unleashes for attacks, if so, is this weapons, if so, unleashes unlocked at different levels sounds bad because some of the things i said in the above post!)}]