News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Puella Magi☆Suzuko Magica

Started by Rolina, 24, October, 2011, 08:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

Zman, please understand that I have a severe dislike of repeating myself, especially when information you need is in the very post you just quoted.

My frustration with you stems from this:

Bringing back up the fight you tried to pick with me over Atrius
Not reading the post you are trying to refer to, which answers the question you had.

I mean... multiple weapons?  Really?  When it's established in the info posts that they have one weapon, which is unmovable, since it's their soul gem itself?

zman9000

First off, what fight with atrius???
Second, O shi- ... I didn't read it fully.

So I was thinking you were going to have different weapons they would switch to, but they could only switch to a soul gem that's their color. like you would have upgrade/find soul gems, that would have one or two slightly better unleashes over time...

better soul gem = better weapon... same kinda thing. that way they would get stronger as you travel... i guess.

But yes i guess i skimmed over the part i needed... sorry
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Rolina

...Zman, you have no idea what the hell you're talking about, do you?  Have you watched Madoka Magica?  If so, you should know the problems with what you're suggesting.

Know the source material better before you start making suggestions.  I can't go against the source material - that's why I changed all of the characters to using Italian attack names, because after looking stuff up, I realized that all named attacks in the Puella Magi franchise have been in Italian.  It's very important to stay true to the source material for doujin games like this.

zman9000

So yeah, I've realized that. and yes I've seen the show. I'm just thinking, what you want to do here, and how it will work with the code and such... I'd think it would be easier to make your own game engine. I could be wrong and all this stuff could be a quick fix in the game and editor code. But I don't know, I haven't read all your topic's stuff, so I guess I'll just refrain from commenting, I'm not even up to date on the DC hack... lol
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Misery

This project has its deadline set pretty far off in an undefined future, and I can't imagine any of the suggested formula tweaks would cause any technical difficulties with the game engine. The only problem is actually finding out how and where the game uses those formulas.

I'm more worried about the music tbh. Finding someone who could and would compose a soundtrack at Kajiura Yuki level, for free, on the GBA... I just can't see that happening.

As for the actual unleash suggestion, if I'm understanding it right, you would still have accessories that could boost the unleash rate, but also increase the rate based on the character's level? I think it could work, you would see nearly no unleashes at the start of the game, and possibly a lot at endgame. There isn't much more to comment on about it. Maiko's unleash seems a bit out of flavor to me though, while I understand your motivation for it I'd stick with attack or possibly MP as the stat, otherwise her unique formula coupled with the high rate makes it somewhat of a speciality in a sense.

I also don't see how the game can have a postgame with the current setting, and players probably won't reach level 99 naturally... but you know to scale the odds according to the expected endgame level already.

Rolina

I don't see it happening either, which is why I never said I'd do it for free.  It's well known that I'm willing to pay for art and music, so long as I see it as being worth what I paid for.

As for the unleash rate...

You have their weapon, which is their Soul Gem, has their initial unleash rate, which is based on their level.

Accessories can add on a static value to that.

For example, let's look at Suzuko.  She's got the lowest unleash rate at 50%, so lets say that at this time, you're level 46.  Her base unleash rate is now 23%
She has an accessory that boosts this unleash rate by 5%, so her final unleash rate would be 28%.

Misery

But if you do that you... where do I start? Why would you pay for content and then put it on a GBA rom hack?

*sigh*
It's tough when they don't make the games you want, isn't it?

Rolina

It is.  It really is.  And unfortunately, most artists are not willing to do art or music for free, even if you have a project, and those that do tend to be really bad at it.

You're the rare exception here.