News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Editor's development on temporary hiatus

Started by Atrius, 09, March, 2009, 04:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atrius (He/Him)

I'm going to have to put the development of the TLA: Editor on hiatus for a few months.  The reason is because I'm joining the Air Force, and shipping off to boot camp next Monday (March 16th)  Obviously it will be impossible to work on the editor while I'm there.  I do plan on continuing work on it when possible, and from what I hear most people with the same job as what I got in the Air Force are big computer geeks so I'll be in good company.  I had hoped to at least release the text editor before I left, but unfortunately it doesn't look like that's going to happen, sorry.

The job I signed my Air Force contract for is 9S100, Technical Applications, supposedly there are only around 400 of them in the Air Force.  This is some of the stuff I've read about it online:

QuoteThe 9S100 career field might be for you if:
You know you're a geek.
You can not do homework or study for a math science test and do well.
You think you might be a geek.
You play WoW, Guild Wars, Final Fantasy 11, Evequest, etc.
You attempt to play 2+ hours of video games a day
You've stayed up all night at a LAN party.
You set up the LAN party
The list goes on, but you get the idea.

QuoteI had one of the more "boring" jobs in the 9s100 field. On any given day, I might be managing Oracle databases, building VB apps, creating ultra high vacuum systems, working on mass spectrometers, gamma ray spectroscopy, greasing gears, brazing, TIG welding, crawling in ceilings, working out the mean-free path of an ionized beam, wearing cleanroom gear for hours on end, calibrating test equipment, engineering test beds and prototypes, oh...and paperwork, paperwork, paperwork.

Over the 2000+ days that I was working on the maintenance floor, I never had the same day twice. And I was working only one small part of a much larger picture. It is rare to meet two 9s100's that have the same job.

Fun job if you like science. And, if you happen to know anything besides science, they'll find a way to use whatever you know.

QuoteIf you're really into computers, there's a 9S job for you. Ditto if your thing is McGyvering geek-toys that may or may not work or ever get used by people, using and experimenting with other people's geek-toys until they break, turning wrenches on machines (either in a depot or a mountain range), visiting places not fit for human life, controlling satellites, sitting on staff to explain obscure science to non-scientifically-oriented folks (and having access to real scientists to expand your understanding), flying around in back of a plane, giving lots of briefings to lots of brass, running an ops center in DC, travelling a lot, or holding down a chair in front of a computer screen for 8-12 hours while you get paid to do lots and lots of homework. There are also a few opportunities for more mundane stuff like paperwork and teaching at the schoolhouse and doing part-time honor guard and documenting people's training if that's your thing, for some strange reason. And that still doesn't cover it all.

In my absence I'm naming Charon as an Admin here at the forums so she can keep things in order should anything happen.

This post has been edited by Atrius on Mar 9 2009, 04:43 PM
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

MaxiPower

holy shizzentnippltoolasticbandanago < don't try and pronounce, aww crap, im saddenned this is not what i wanted to hear by anymeans, be careful you geek >_>. because you still have work to do when you get back.

to be honest, i was thinking of joining the army... the Irish army that is, work my way up and join the ranger wing (green berets) thats my dream.

*looks at date*

sigh its not April fools.

im sad... i think i might cry... really. who can carry the legacy

btw Atrius i was always grateful that i was the 2nd member of this fantastic site, thanks for heads up on that one, Im also sorry i could never really help, im useless at all that stuff.  

Charon

Okay, guys. I'll be the sole Admin when you guys leave. I won't be particually evil or anything, and I'm pretty lenient with you guys anyways, so no mediveal torture devices for you all XD

But still, I hope that Atrius comes back soon. We love your awesome hacking powers, Atrius!

For anyone new who is reading this:

I will be the admin of Golden Sun Hacking Community when Atrius leaves by around the end of this week. I am not involved in the creation of the editor, so please do not ask me any questions involving its production. When Atrius comes back (which seems like it will be a few months) you may ask away, but in the time being, just be patient. If you have suggestions, however, it is okay to post them in his preview topic (or maybe someone can make a suggestion thread).

I'm very tolerant of many things, but I'll be adding a small rule list to make sure things don't get out of hand, especially with the newer people. Most of them will be common sense, and the people who seem to come here regularly will not have to change anything. Also, if I get to it (procrastination is like a virus), I'll be working on the theme for this place, making it all prettyful =D

Besides a rule list and maybe some layout stuff (don't forget, suggestions are still in the air - it always helps to have a little inspiration), I won't be doing anything particually major, but just thought I'd give you all a heads up.

Feel free to comment your thoughts and concerns.

MaxiPower

Quote from: Charon on 09, March, 2009, 07:38:00 PMI'm very tolerant of many things, but I'll be adding a small rule list to make sure things don't get out of hand, especially with the newer people.

Feel free to comment your thoughts and concerns.
I'm always watching this site, if i see anything outa hand i,ll report it, however i doubt there will be any trouble, people are just here to encourage Atrius on, but it probably be best Atrius if you post a FAQ before you go

Charon

:JupiterSet: RULES AND GUIDELINES FOR GOLDEN SUN HACKING COMMUNITY :JupiterSet:

Hello, I'm Charon, and I will be your Administrator for the time that Atrius will be leaving. I have decided that some rules and guidelines for our newer members would be a nice addition to the forums and would reduce any future idiocy/trolling/bashing ect..

For current active members of this forum, I am not aiming to be a forum Nazi and I will only swing my banneth hammer as necessary. Currently active members (which I believe are Zach, Maxipower, Role, Weckar, and a few others of the time of this writing) have truely nothing to worry about; just keep on doing what you are doing now and you guys will be just fine.

For new members of this forum, I will be monitoring your behaviour and making sure its not something that will tear our little community apart. Thus I am highly recommending you to all to read these following rules. Most are simply common sense and are meant to make this forum a better place.

Now, for the rules.

I will be making use of the "warn system". It's a very nice little thing on the bottom of your user information by your post. If you follow the rules, your warn level will be 0. If you infract any of the rules in Part II, I will raise your warn system accordingly. If you, however, improve your behaviour, I will lower your warn level.

A warn level of 5 will result in a 2-week ban. I will then clear your warn level. If your warn level reaches 5 again, I will permanently ban you. In order for you to return to Golden Sun Hacking Community, you must send me an email on why I should unban you and an apology ect.

Part I. Infracting any of the following rules will result in an instant 2-week ban (with the exception of bots which will be banned permanently).
The second infraction of the following will result in a full permanent ban which can only be reversed by emailing me and asking me to unban you with a good explanation why.

1. No Posting Commercial Rom Files. It's illegal, and most people can find their own anyhow. Instead of posting a link, give more information about a ROM, for example, its language, ROM code and number. Unless it's a homebrew, just don't do it. If you would like to distribute a rom, distribute it in a patch file, such as an IPS.

2. No Trolling. Not that we're particularly prone to it, but if you want to be a jerk and stir up a fight for no reason, we won't need you around. If you come on here and just dis Golden Sun, the forums or even some random user, expect to be banned.

3. If I find a bot, it will be automatically be banned permanently. So do not go around advertising like a bot (although advertising a website is perfectly fine). A bot is a user made by an advertising company to seek cheap advertising, and in addition to the bot being banned, I will remove the advertisement and lock the thread.

4. No alternative accounts. You don't need it. I will remove both accounts if this is done.

5. Infringing on any of the following categories to an extreme extent. For example, posting 5 or 6 posts in a row ect.

Part II. Infracting any of the following rules will result in a possible boost in your warn level.
Remember, once it reaches 5, it will result in you having a 2-week ban.
NOTE: Infracting some of the following rules does not mean a definite raising of your warn level - however, constant infraction of a rule may result in a boost, and if it is rather prevalent, a boost of two or more.

Infraction of rules marked with a star will boost your warn level by 1.

*1. Respect the board's members. No random flame wars or bashing of any sort.

2. Please try to avoid spam (stupid pointless annoying messages). Don't just post for the sake of boosting your post count. 1 word posts are not permitted. If it persists, I will activate a minimum character amount requirement.

3. Try to keep your posts clean. Keep sex, drugs, swearing, ect. to a minimum. This applies to avatars and signatures as well.

4. Try to remember that us less fortunate members may have crappy internet connections and posting a ton of pictures, unless completely necessary, will not be tolerated.

5. Advertising is allowed, but in a minimal manner. Advertising to other forums is acceptable, as long as it is not random.

*6. Do not double post. This means posting twice in a row, unless this is applying to an art/hack thread and you are the creator and adding an update.

Part III. The following are guidelines for having a friendly, forum experience.
If the following are excessively, constantly or in any other extreme way infringed, I will add 1 to your warn level. Some I will be more tolerant on than others.

1. Please try to type in legible English. I'm not asking everyone to be a Grammar Nazi, but if your post is so poorly written that no one can understand it, we will have issues.

2. Please try not to forum chat. It's okay if you're asking a question and someone gives you a response, but no, "How's the weather?" "Oh, fine" "LOL" ect.. We have MSN for a reason.

3. Don't purposely do anything obnoxious or anything stupid. Basically, be good.

4. Do not ask for betas/updates of any programs or hacks that other users may be working on. Well, it's okay, just not to the point of harassment.

If you notice your Warn Level has been risen and you don't know why, you're welcome to contact me via PM or email me at .

You'll find that I'm a very lenient person and that I won't just try to make your life a living hell for the laughs. But please remember that I do have my limits and I will not be taken advantage of.

I hope you all have a nice day. If you have any comments before Atrius leaves, please post them here. When he leaves, I'll lock this and copy this post as an official rule thread.

These rules are slightly based off of those of Golden Sun Realm, however, they are more lenient and designed for a more hacking-based audience.

(Atrius, feel free to edit, move, add or remove any of the rules here before you leave). And I just noticed that you can edit my post directly if you want XD

Suggestions? Leave them here. If you guys have no objections, then I'll just assume that you like the rules.

EDIT: Tweaked it.

Atrius (He/Him)

I'd move #7 from Part II, to Part III.  You can't really punish people for being really interested in something, and wanting to see more of it.... Unless if it reaches the point of almost being harassment.

Also, I could care less if people advertise forums here too as long as they're not completely irrelevant...  Unless if it's a GS Hacking Community copy-cat forum...  Unless if that copy-cat forum isn't an English speaking community, it'd actually be pretty nice to see the TLA Editor gain popularity in non-English speaking countries.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Charon

Well, Atrius is gone, so I'm locking this to prevent spam.

When he comes back he can unlock it =D