News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

How to decompress graphics(sprites?) in GS2?

Started by Mars, 18, November, 2011, 10:48:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mars

Hello,my friends and I want to make our own GS2.

Thanks to Atrius's hacking guide,we have done almost every uncompressed parts,but it's a difficult task for us to decompress the compressed parts,because most of us don't know how to do it.

We want to change people's protraits,party world and battle sprites,but we don't know how to do this...... :sad:

Some sort of instruction is needed.If someone have a decompress tool,that would be nice.

Rolina

Welcome to the party.  You now share the goal of ~70% of the active members of the site.  Atrius is hard at work on the graphics changes you're mentioning, but right now that looks pretty far off - or at least, he's not given any updates as to where he's at for this kind of thing.

Mars

Thank you.What I want are things we can do in Atrius's GS TLA editor.Atrius do have a guide here,but I didn't get it......

Misery

Quote from: Mars on 18, November, 2011, 10:48:14 AM
Some sort of instruction is needed.If someone have a decompress tool,that would be nice.
The tla editor is a decompression tool in a sense, it decompresses the graphics from the game, which is why you can see sprites, maps and such. What you want is a compression tool. Atrius does have the format figured out and is working on compression functionality for the next release of the editor (the compression method involves reusing graphics data from sprites earlier in the set), so you can go ahead and make the graphics, as it will be possible to insert them later on. Just make sure you use the right palette.

The game uses three compression formats (I think), format 0 which the battle sprites for the party use is described here. This means you can replace the graphics by manually replacing hex digits, although this takes so ridiculously long that it's probably faster to just wait for the editor update.

Try the editor out and look around on these forums and you'll have it figured out soon enough. Also, welcome to the forums :Sweat:

Atrius (He/Him)

Next version of the editor will contain sprite editing.  Portraits are stored in a different format, so support for them is doubtful just yet.  I have no estimated release date.

The current development version of the editor is fully capable of editing 2 out of 4 existing sprite formats, the other 2 still cause major problems.  Converting between formats is still buggy, and the sprite editor itself could still use quite a bit of optimization for speed, and some polish.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

MaxiPower

Quote from: Atrius on 18, November, 2011, 10:29:16 PM
Next version of the editor will contain sprite editing.  Portraits are stored in a different format, so support for them is doubtful just yet.  I have no estimated release date.

The current development version of the editor is fully capable of editing 2 out of 4 existing sprite formats, the other 2 still cause major problems.  Converting between formats is still buggy, and the sprite editor itself could still use quite a bit of optimization for speed, and some polish.

Excellent, sounds exciting!

Mars

Sounds great!

besttp

When will this version released? Exciting!