News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Spelling game I'm working on

Started by charon the ferryman, 16, August, 2020, 08:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charon the ferryman

:JupiterSet:

Hey there everyone.

So I finally have been able to take that idea I've been screwing around with since 2016 and turn it into a tech demo: https://punishedfelix.itch.io/the-sequence

Basically, its a braille tutor JRPG that is based heavily on Golden Sun. Instead of Djinn, you equip Braille Tablets, which you can combine in one turn and release at once, to boost the first Tablet's power. Doing this adds the letters to the "Chain" which has characters in a queue. You can decide if it inserts on the left or right side. And instead of summons you spell out words to form "signs" which release the summons instead. So, you spell out words to signify attacks.

But it's still pretty early in development. Right now I'm focusing on completing core engine features. I'm pretty close so that way I could show off the tech demo.

I have plans for a full demo at this point, I'm just cleaning up the engine and preparing to draw some of the art assets for it, and setting up a few features (such as scripting and the tileset, cuz lol it doesn't use one lmao) so that it can support the needs of that demo. I reckon I can get it almost done by the end of the year, with frequent updates.

A few cool things:
- It can scale to any resolution and automatically letterboxes, and since most of the graphics are vectors, it looks great.
- A lot of the features are loaded in from ini files at the beginning of the game, and you can modify things yourself with them.
- It features the full blind accessibility that Braillemon had, and has fully customizable HUDs, loaded in from the ini files.
- It's also extensively documented with Help, which I'm currently working on filling in.

It's free to download (even if it pesters you for a donation) so let me know what your feedback is. Thanks everyone.

:MarsSet: