Golden Sun Hacking Community
May 20, 2018, 09:50:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Golden Sun BYOND  (Read 57559 times)
Tetsuya the Azure Blade
The Shadow Fang
Luna Clan

Kick your @#$, that's what I'm gonna do.

Great Member

Coins: 0

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 12:23:59 AM »

Story?  In an MMO?  What is the world coming to...
An age where MMOs have (hopefully interesting) plots, instead of just being glorified social networks?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 12:26:06 AM by MegaDarkNero » Logged
View Profile
Kioll
Pyromancer

I'm a Mars Adept! You know, red hair, bad temper?

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 12:30:27 AM »

Any game needs a good story.  I don't know about you, but I don't want to get on a game, MMO or not, and just run around killing things.  There's a reason it's called a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.  You take on the role of a character in a world, not a sprite in a game.  Your actions have an effect on the overall world, that's what MMORPG is all about.  So yes, story in an MMO.  Because all the good MMO's have a storyline.  Heck, even WoW has a frickin' storyline.  It's covered, most of the time, but it's there.

I am the almighty emissary of fire...  the Mars Adept Kioll.  Oh, and did I mention that I'll see you long before you see me?
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Template maker turned lurker

Alchemist

Coins: 10

I am: wondering if we can get our clan position changed...
Clan Position: Grand Overlady of Jupiter

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 01:26:58 AM »

Heh, tell that to games like World of Warcraft.  Most MMOs I've sampled have little to nothing in terms of actual story, just some kind of background where the story takes place.

View Profile WWW
Kioll
Pyromancer

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 01:31:49 AM »

Either way, a role playing game needs to include role playing.  So, story.  Besides, quests ARE story.  Granted, some quests make it more evident than others, but any time you interact with an NPC, complete a goal, that's all story.  Boss battles are ESPECIALLY story points...  Making a game is like writing a book where someone else fills in the details.

I am the almighty emissary of fire...  the Mars Adept Kioll.  Oh, and did I mention that I'll see you long before you see me?
View Profile
Charon
On Probation
Veteran Member

Coins: 11

Emblems: GBA Music Expert
Clan Position: Trickster Goddess of Luna

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 01:37:20 AM »

A basic story is all you really need for any game. There are RPGs without crazy storylines.

...So this is like gamemaker for Online games?... Sounds pretty cool.
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 01:44:09 AM »

Anywho, it sounds like a lot of fun, so long as it allows for some decent customization.  I don't wanna be stuck with canon classes if I'm playing a custom character, for example.  At the same time, though, don't let people do whatever, or you'll come across problems with tweakers.

View Profile WWW
Kioll
Pyromancer

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 01:48:19 AM »

I'm not sure about Game Maker, Charon...  I do know, however, that BYOND is a bit of a hassle sometimes, but most of the important stuff is built in,  and does most of the work for ya.  And Role...  My setup will have premade classes based on build.  The currently existing classes will make a return appearance, but they will not be the only classes.  I plan on, at some point, making werewolves playable, as well as beastmen...  But not for a while, I'm afraid.

View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 01:59:58 AM »

So... define build.  Right now, you should choose "physical" or "magical", but then you should have a variety of weapons to choose from to make up your build.

Forgive me if I sound... brash or something, it's just, I really want to know as much as I can for mechanics about these things, that's why I was as detailed as I was when I listed it in the MMO thread.

View Profile WWW
Kioll
Pyromancer

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 02:06:46 AM »

Lol, Role, I already defined build...  Right before you asked just how multiplayer the game is.

View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 02:15:29 AM »

Ah, Build is two different things for us then.  Build here is the equipment selection, and often is what's used to identify if they're physical or magical.  That would be their role in battle, where we tend to use terms like "The Squire", "The Guard", and "The Angel"... so I guess the confusion was based upon terminology used.

I'm gonna disagree a bit with having five stock classes... Name, Stats, and Spell Selection I could see being chosen separately.  It allows for a wider variety within the game.  First thing they need to answer is "Physical or Magical?".  GS really doesn't work well with "Hybrid" types, since... well, everyone is a spellcaster.

View Profile WWW
Kioll
Pyromancer

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2011, 02:32:23 AM »

Well, I suppose I need to explain further...  And I did put build in quotes the first time, indicating that I didn't have a better term for it at the time.  Anyways...  The four options I provided DO help choose weapon type as well, but that's not all.  What I mean in this case is this:  Felix and Isaac are both fighters and healers, basically, they're Combat Medics.  Thus, they're good at both.  But Garet, in particular, is just a Fighter, and it shows in his added physical strength; he's more of a bashie character than the two Venus adepts.  Jenna is what I call a Caster; she RELIES on casting, much like Ivan and Sheba.  I consider Mia to be a Healer...  Mind you, these are simply base options.  The Sneak is a little something extra; not everyone is a traditional protagonist.  Alex is, in my mind, a Sneak, shown more by personality than power, as we never actually get a glimpse at his psynergy list.  Choosing one of the options to specialize in makes you stronger in that aspect, but horribly flawed in the opposing aspect:  You can't be a Fighter and a Caster, it's conflicting.  You choose to specialize in fighting, you lose points in casting.  You could be a Fighter/Sneak, though, or a Fighter/Healer....  Also, you can't be a Sneak and a Healer, that's insane.  (Yes, I know my example with Alex would disprove that, but I never said he was built in this particular way....  I was using him as a character example, not a setup example.)  If you're going to be a little shady, you can't be goody goody enough to heal...  Alex is obviously beyond this; he was born into the Mercury Clan and grew up learning healing magic, so, well, he doesn't quite fall into this, although as Dark Dawn points out, any adept can learn things outside their boundaries, it just takes more work.  (Karis points out that Tyrell hasn't learned how to control the wind and thus can't use a Soarwing, yet Isaac and Garet clearly had planned on using the Soarwing, thus implying that they could, neither of whom is a Jupiter adept and thus meaning that they learned to do something beyond their element; GS 1 & 2 also imply it as Garet and Isaac trained to learn Move, a Mars psynergy, when only one of them was, in fact, Mars aligned.)  This is my reasoning behind being able to learn and master a second element in GS BYOND...

Anyways, based on the options one chooses, it determines that "physical or magical" question already:  Healer and Caster are both magical, Sneak and Fighter are both physical.  But you'll note that they are different in that, for instance, Sneak can't use an axe, but they can use swords.

Incidentally, that reminds me that I was planning on putting in a couple new weapon types.  For instance, Great Swords...  And putting in bows from Dark Dawn, that made so much sense it was uncanny.

Edit:  Also, now that I'm thinking about it, I'd like to know something.  I've been considering whether I should make the djinn limit 9 or 10.  What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 02:36:43 AM by Kioll, Reason: Additional thought. » Logged

View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2011, 04:42:14 AM »

...So the generic Cleric, Wizard, DPS, Tank setup?

Go with 9 djinn - I don't even know how to approach a ten djinn setup yet.  Tri-Element and Tri-Hybrid classes are a nightmare with those.

View Profile WWW
Griever
Pyro Master

Don't play with FIRE !!!

Excellent Member

I am: Enjoying the new Fate game.
Clan Position: High Enchanter

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2011, 05:54:04 AM »

GS multiplier? This is cool.
Role every game (MMO) so far has the "generic" classes lol. Wonder how the healing class will be ... I usually play those >_<

If you need help with classes, character setups (stats and such) and maybe even a little spriting (NOVICE spriter lol) please let me know.

View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2011, 07:39:40 AM »

That's a BAD thing where I'm concerned.  I tire of those classes, and one of the big things about the potential with GS is that you've got a lot of things you can do with it.

While yes, there are a few base setups, there's many things you can do with those base setups.  There'd be four or five different "fighter" stat layouts, and four or five different "spell layouts" for each element.  This would let you keep the basic gist of the role of "Fighter", yet at the same time, you'd not be stuck with GS's system crippling build variance.  In most MMOs, they have branching paths, yet in this game you'd have naught but alt-classes.  As such, I suggest having the stats for the alt-classes be determined by your stat layout choice, and spells by the spell layout choice.  This allows for a nice variety of characters.

Also, I'd like to point out that DPS doesn't work in turn based combat.  I suggest Attacker, Defender, Wizard, and Healer for the base four instead.  Just... make sure you have that varied selection of each, otherwise it'll be four of the exact same thing for each element, which... well, that gets boring.

View Profile WWW
Charon
On Probation
Veteran Member

Coins: 11

Emblems: GBA Music Expert
Clan Position: Trickster Goddess of Luna

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2011, 12:28:35 PM »

You know it'd actually be pretty cool if you could use djinn to make it so that each character could effectively sorta be each one of those classes... but dunno how you can implement djinn yet. I would align an elemental djinni's element with a certain fighting style (Venus = Attack, Mars = Defense, Mercury = Recovery and Jupiter = Magic), and since you can only have 9 djinn active at a time... you could align yourself to be an attacker, or maybe later be a healer if you really needed it, or perhaps a jack of all trades (but you'd be fairly weak then). It's not exactly like Golden Sun but there's a point where you need to accommodate the new format lol.

I'm going to set this topic sticky just because this is something I can see the whole community getting on board with. :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 02:12:54 PM by Charon the Ferryman » Logged
View Profile
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
May 09, 2018, 12:35:37 AM
KyleRunner: The "Start In" field is not editable... I'll try making new shortcuts
May 08, 2018, 09:51:08 PM
Fox: If all else fails, you canmake new Shortcuts to do the same thing.
May 08, 2018, 09:49:53 PM
Fox: Export Properties > Shortcut (Tab) > Target / Start In ; Target (for Export) should be: (filename) 0 , and for Import: (filename) 1
May 08, 2018, 08:52:00 PM
KyleRunner: I can't change the path in properties menu...
May 08, 2018, 01:27:19 AM
Fox: You may need to edit something in properties, though... so it uses the exe file in the same directory.
May 08, 2018, 01:24:59 AM
Fox: It is suppose to be a shortcut, yes.
May 03, 2018, 11:48:05 PM
KyleRunner: Fox, the "export" function in your text editor is just a shortcut... Could you please fix it?
May 02, 2018, 09:53:45 PM
KyleRunner: I come here everyday. I'm working on a Portuguese translation, and the people here help me a lot.
May 02, 2018, 08:56:07 AM
Drake baku: My feel as well, I posted a little as well since my return, but silence was all that followed... At least the forum is a great source for data when hacking GS/ GS2, currently looking for something I have read a long time ago cause my PP recovery psy is not working
May 01, 2018, 09:58:04 AM
Fox: I am thinking a lot of this might be because of Discord?
May 01, 2018, 09:56:08 AM
Fox: Yeah, this forum is more dead than ever before.  February and April have 0 new topics. (All other months prior have more.) And March has lowest number of new posts. (It'd be dumb to count the very first month this site was created.)
April 25, 2018, 09:02:13 PM
Fox: Yes. The best tool is a hex editor. Well.... VBA, VBA-SDL-H, no$gba Debugger, GBATEK, and my documentation.... to use these to learn how the code/data works. Best method because it maximizes your editing ability... and then there is my program gsmagic that I was working on. Still in its early stages, though. (Even after year(s).)
April 25, 2018, 04:21:58 PM
Xendrox D: *exept tla editor.
April 25, 2018, 04:21:29 PM
Xendrox D: is there any other tool for hacking gs?
April 23, 2018, 09:26:27 PM
Atrius: Rarely, but not never.
April 23, 2018, 08:01:48 AM
Drake baku: Can it be, the god who created the editor, atrius. I heard you never came back online here anymore
April 20, 2018, 02:46:36 PM
KyleRunner: Atrius!!
April 19, 2018, 11:29:46 PM
Atrius: @Fox, I tried, but for some reason Mario Golf won't boot, and Mario Tennis crashes when you patch out the text compression, and I'm not sure why...  The normal text loading functions in them are basically the same as the ones in the Golden Sun games.
April 16, 2018, 07:44:36 AM
Drake baku: So it took about halve a hour of letting my lap stay off for it to suddenly work again
April 16, 2018, 07:31:28 AM
Drake baku: All of a sudden fox his editor gets errors. When trying to start it, thing worked fine yesterday...

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise