News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Golden Sun BYOND

Started by Kioll, 21, November, 2011, 04:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knight of Purgatory

That... quite frankly sounds pretty cool! I'd double like it if possible, so... any idea how long it would take?
MOAR DARKNESS, MOAR COOKIES

Kioll

Currently, not sure.  I've got a few things decided and a miniscule amount of work done for a rather large game.  Being that I'm the only contributing developer at the moment, it's a huge project.  I am, however, looking for help with it, in 3 areas.  Either A, a coding assistant, B, a pixel artist, or C, a development adviser, someone who can give me tips and advice on how to make the game better.  And if someone wants more than one of those roles, all the better.

Also, I've decided the official title, and I have started on the setting.  Golden Sun: Legend of Alchemy is the official title, GSLoA for short.
I am the almighty emissary of fire...  the Mars Adept Kioll.  Oh, and did I mention that I'll see you long before you see me?

RagnarokEmissary

Golden Sun: Legend of Alchemy? That's a pretty good title for your game, and a good title is important, you know.

Kioll

Thanks!  And I thought so, too.  So far, it's set in the period between TLA and DD, and it's going to use the map and icons from the first two games, and you'll be able to explore both the first game's map AND the second game's map in the same game.  I'm also going to do my best to incorporate psynergies from both TBS and TLA in both sections of the map.  For instance, Cloak was never useful in TLA, and I'll add puzzles in for that kind of thing.  I also plan on putting in all of the old puzzles in addition to new puzzles and locations.  I even plan on putting in the lighthouses for those who want to follow the old storyline with their own custom characters, and I plan on having an alternate storyline for everyone else.  Kinda incorporate elements of both into both storylines, though.  Oh, and high level equipment that can't be forged (AKA the Sol Blade) will be given out only by staff members for events and things like that.  Considering also putting level requirements on certain equipment...  Any thoughts on that?
I am the almighty emissary of fire...  the Mars Adept Kioll.  Oh, and did I mention that I'll see you long before you see me?

RagnarokEmissary

How about having the original 8 heroes and other GS characters as bosses?

Kioll

3 problems with that.  One, that would be a problem djinn-wise; the original 8 heroes would have a fair portion of the existing djinn and...  I don't have to say anything else about what's wrong with that.  As for other golden sun characters, most of the other strong adepts worth fighting died already.  However, if one chooses to follow the storyline, then they'll have the same boss battles.  But this is going to be a rather large game, so there'll be plenty of other things to do and other places to go.  And plenty of other djinn.  I'm probably going to create enough djinn to have somewhere between 36 and 50 djinn of each element.  If that's not enough djinn for everyone, then tough...  >.<  Also, there will be a PvP area in the colosseum in Tolbi.  And now I'm pretty much spouting out random information...  Oh, I'm putting off adding other races for the time being.  Everyone will be an adept or a regular human for the time being.  I probably will not make Proxians available for a while either.  However, there will be multiple options for hometowns of Adepts.  Vale (Which I'm going to have as being "rebuilt" for the sake of gameplay and not following the exact events of Dark Dawn), Imil, Garoh, and towns like those are on the list of options at the moment.

RagnarokEmissary

QuoteHowever, there will be multiple options for hometowns of Adepts.  Vale (Which I'm going to have as being "rebuilt" for the sake of gameplay and not following the exact events of Dark Dawn), Imil, Garoh, and towns like those are on the list of options at the moment.

Vale could have been rebuilt when your game takes place, but then gets destroyed again a few years before DD.

And that "original 8 heroes as bosses" thing was just an idea I was throwing out there, that's all. Just thought it'd be cool to fight them. But, they will show up, right? Can't imagine a Golden Sun game without them. Even Dark Yawn (lol) had Isaac and Garet show up in the beginning.

Kioll

Well, I planned on them mostly showing up in filler and stories told to the players, but I suppose I could give them some actual cameos.

EDIT: So it turns out that this project is completely doable in the exact way I've wanted it.  However, the project is too big for one person to do in any reasonable time frame, so until I get some actual help, the release date is going to stay TBA indefinitely.  I really need another person, preferably with pixel art/graphics skills, but I can manage with just someone with the motivation to work on the game on a regular basis.  So if you really wanna see this up and running, consider helping?

Thunder-squall

Quote from: Kioll on 21, October, 2012, 11:26:01 PM
EDIT: So it turns out that this project is completely doable in the exact way I've wanted it.  However, the project is too big for one person to do in any reasonable time frame, so until I get some actual help, the release date is going to stay TBA indefinitely.  I really need another person, preferably with pixel art/graphics skills, but I can manage with just someone with the motivation to work on the game on a regular basis.  So if you really wanna see this up and running, consider helping?
Oh, I guess this thread was right under my nose the whole time.

So do you have a single design document for the "one big project?"  The ideas over the last 9 pages seem to be constantly adapting and evolving.  And do you have a key list of steps and smaller tasks that'll need to get done?

Edit:  Basically, I want to know more about
1) Exactly what you want to do,
2) Exactly how I can help.

Kioll

1.  I want to make a game whose shape is not clearly defined but is getting more and more defined.
2.  The way to help is mostly in the form of making sure work gets done...  Either by pestering me into it or doing it.  Right now, I really need to start with the character creation system, and the best way to get that to happen is to get some pixel work done on building a character icon base and customizable parts.

Thunder-squall

So what are the options you want available in the character creation system?

And do you have a sample of what kind of art style you have in mind?

Kioll

Stylistically, I'd like to keep with the old games.  I have the GBA sprites and such to work with, and my intention was to use them, but my biggest problem lies in creating NEW material.  Such as new psynergy, or new characters, etc.  That's why I need a pixel artist.  Some of it I can do.  Some of it...  I can't.

Thunder-squall

yeah, MMO's thrive on having lots of content, and content that's continuously changing.  You'd need people who are constantly creating literature, visual art, and who are even moderating the community.  That's a heck of a lot of work...

Actually, dude... I could be wrong, but now that I really think about it, doesn't it seem like you have no chance of doing this whatsoever? How does your fantasy project compare to MMOs like https://themanaworld.org/?

edit:  I should ask:  would it take more work, or less work?

Kioll

Quite frankly, this project is a valid one.  Totally doable.  And expanding on it is easy... once I have a base to expand on.

Thunder-squall

Quote from: Kioll on 08, January, 2014, 01:48:09 PM
Quite frankly, this project is a valid one.  Totally doable.  And expanding on it is easy... once I have a base to expand on.
Yeah, building the underlying foundation is the hardest part.  And luckily you're in an era where there seem to be quite a few engines out there, ready for being adapted and modded (or "hacked," if you will).  Have you scouted any of those?  Since you know what want to sculpt, the next thing to do is to find a medium in which to sculpt.  Even getting artists comes after that.

edit:
some stuff I came across:
https://stendhalgame.org/

Thunder-squall

Came across the 'Liberated Pixel Cup' in my searches. (lpc.opengameart.org)

It seems that over time, people are likely to add more and more stuff that follow a consistent style.  Don't know if it fits the style you want, but it's a relatively cheap (free) and conervative way to go.
(i.e. http://opengameart.org/art-search-advanced?field_art_tags_tid=liberated%20pixel%20cup)

See their style guide and assets: http://lpc.opengameart.org/static/lpc-style-guide/index.html

And since I'm posting, here's a thread related to artists and how much it might cost to get some animation frames done.
http://opengameart.org/forumtopic/how-long-does-it-take-to-create-the-lpc-character-art-0

Quote from: Kioll on 06, January, 2014, 10:35:25 PM

2.  The way to help is mostly in the form of making sure work gets done...  Either by pestering me into it or doing it.  Right now, I really need to start with the character creation system, and the best way to get that to happen is to get some pixel work done on building a character icon base and customizable parts.

Edit:  And to be clear, they have character bases and I think customizable parts.

Thunder-squall

Alternately, rather than spriting, it may actually be easier to work from 3D models.  I suggested Sketch-Up Make in the thread:  Golden sun base sprite?

I haven't tried it myself, but someone's gotta to test it.  You going to volunteer?

Kioll

Sounds like someone didn't read the first post.  BYOND is the "medium" I plan to make the game in.  But in order to really get anywhere with it, I need my icons.

Thunder-squall

Bam

Is this still in the works...? If not, is there still a copy of it somewhere? Lol