News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

I write music.

Started by Alnylthyria, 24, November, 2011, 04:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Oh, wow, that's good, Alny. It's sounds like something from a Megaman game.

Alnylthyria

Thanks! Right now I'm transposing a midi of the Venus Lighthouse theme so that I can use it as sheet music for the song so I can play it on my saxophone. Also I'm writing another song right now, but there is no telling when I'll actually finish it.

Rolina

So, out of curiosity, how are you at composing?  I've been looking for someone who can compose well to help out with some of the music I'd like to put into my hacks.

Charon

Dunno, his music isn't quite Sakuraba enough, ya know?

Rolina

I never said I wanted them to imitate Sakuraba, merely compose.

Charon

That is true, however you have reputation for rejecting music in forum-wide projects for its lack of Sakuraba-like nature.

His music is very mega-man like, and is composed in an 8-bit-esque style, which does not match Sakuraba's style at all.

Rolina

When they're submitted for a project that's goal is to imitate the style of GS, yeah, of course I do.  After all, it's supposed to feel like GS for the project it was submitted for. But for all you know, I may be interested in asking them to work on music for Suzuko Magica now, and Sakuraba's style shouldn't be getting within 500 feet of that project.  This is the creative works section, not the DCrisis section.  I have no real strict standards in that regard.

Alnylthyria

I could probably come up with something.

Rolina

Cool.  You don't mind if some things aren't for hacks or anything, do you?  I always love me some megaman music, and while I'll disagree with Charon about the megaman vibes in your music (it sounds more of one of those old vertical sidescrolling shooter things that were popular in arcades back in the day), I could definitely see myself asking for something in the future.

Alnylthyria

I write music for fun. It's my main hobby! In fact, I'm doing it right now!

And yeah, I get a lot of inspiration from retro games. I wrote that song shortly after getting one of those old vertical sidescrolling shooter things for my GBASP. Oh, and it was for the original Gameboy.

Yes, in the era of 360s and PS3s and Steam, I'm playing original Gameboy games.

Rolina

Yeah, I figured it was something like that.  Don't know where Charon was getting Megaman from, though - that's a very different sound to the songs from those vertical shooters.  I do like how you mixed in the sound effects with that one particular song - it was like I was back with a working NES playing the games again.  Totally nostalgia'd.

Do you have any other songs to share with us?  I'd love to hear more.

Alnylthyria

I used an NES sequencer, the sound effects were added by editing the hex values.

And I'll have another song up (Hopefully) by the end of the week.

Rolina

Cool.  Can't wait to hear it.

Alnylthyria

It might take me a bit longer than I expected. I'm going to make a soundfont for this song.

Or not. Perhaps the default midi soundfont will sound good this time.

Oh look a new song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxVJIf5oiiI