News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

New Shop Item Ideas

Started by Charon, 24, November, 2011, 09:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charon

Got an idea for an item in the shop?

Post it here!

As for me, I've got a couple myself...

:Luna: Turnip
The turnip is an item whose buying and selling prices change randomly each day. By buying low and selling high, you can make a profit off of these things. Its price goes up and down 1-5 coins a day, having a minimum price of 1 coin. It has no other use.

:Luna: Post Background Changer
There are two versions of this - one that allows you to change the background colour of your posts, and a version that allows you to set a repeating background image. You can preview it before you set it. The first version will cost 5 coins, and the second version will cost 8. Its limited to one use. If your background image is an offensive, vulgar or hard to see background (flashing lights, black text-on-black background), it will be removed and you will not be refunded your coins.

leaf

Quote from: Charon the Ferryman on 24, November, 2011, 09:44:53 PM
There are two versions of this - one that allows you to change the background colour of your posts, and a version that allows you to set a repeating background image. You can preview it before you set it. The first version will cost 5 coins, and the second version will cost 8. Its limited to one use. If your background image is an offensive, vulgar or hard to see background (flashing lights, black text-on-black background), it will be removed and you will not be refunded your coins.
Oh HELL NO.

You had better provide an option for people who don't want to see this to turn it off, because that could get REALLY annoying REALLY fast. Especially the image version. Although just the color change would be bad enough.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Charon

Good point... especially if people used some really bright and ugly ones because they don't know how to use HTML colour codes properly...

Some people are very good at it though so I would at least say to keep the option. Perhaps we can have "hide all profile modifications" as an option, set by default?

leaf

Make that "hide all profile modifications except own" and we might have something here. Otherwise people will get the profile mods, not have them show up, and complain. Could also make it an opt out for seeing the profile mods instead of an opt in. I don't particularly care either way since it's not much more effort for me to turn it off when it gets implemented if it was made opt out, but most people probably wouldn't know or care to go turn it on if they did want to see it. Ideally it would be something each person could set on a per user basis (e.g. person A could set it so they could see person B's, C's, and D's changes, while person B might only want to view A's and C's, but not D's, while person C might not wanna see anyone else's changes at all), but that sounds like a lot of work to code, so I'm not pushing for it. Just a simple option to turn it off entirely if you don't want it would be enough imo.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Atrius (He/Him)

No... just no.  I don't want to spend that much effort programming something that's just going to annoy me.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Charon

What about turnip then? Turnip wouldn't be too difficult.

Atrius (He/Him)

[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

Quote from: leaf on 24, November, 2011, 10:28:47 PM
Quote from: Charon the Ferryman on 24, November, 2011, 09:44:53 PM
Oh HELL NO.

You had better provide an option for people who don't want to see this to turn it off, because that could get REALLY annoying REALLY fast. Especially the image version. Although just the color change would be bad enough.
THIS.

@Turnip: ...if you're gonna do that, why not have other trading items?  We could have something maybe even Tierkreis level in terms of trading.  We could even have something like travel - there'd be five main regions, one for each continent from DCrisis.  It'd take one IRL day to travel from one to another, but some things are worth more in some places than others.  That's how we could do clan trades - it'd not be a game that way, but a more legit trading system, and a way for members to gain money well, since respect gains are plentiful, but coin gains... well, people have been stingy with them.

If you want, I can create a list of suggesting things.  I'd probably use Tierkreis as a base, and modify stuff to fit GS's thematics.

Charon

We could add more if turnip works out well.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

@Turnip: That's pretty much how the Stock Market works on Neopets. However, You can only buy at 15 np or higher, it makes sense why, though. What do you think about only making Turnip buyable at maybe 5 coins? and the price range can range from maybe 1 to 20. I mean, we would need some kind of restraints as to not make it a broken item where people can "get rich quick by buying at 1-5, since they know it WILL eventually go up.) We could probably have multiples of these items too, at different prices at one time. (Edit: Each set with different price ranges if that is decided on.)

EDIT: Oh yeah, before I forget, you might want to limit how many times each person can buy them per day.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Salanewt

I have a sort of random idea, but how about "Djinn Buddies" that can level up? Basically, it starts at level 1 when you buy it, leveling up after a set amount of posts (eg. 10 posts between each level) until it reaches 99. I am not sure how hard this would be to code, but a good spot for it could be down near the "Posts" label. A name could be set, though this could make it more complicated.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

Didn't we have an idea similar to that that got shot down?

Salanewt

If so, then I apologize for posting it again. However, I don't recall seeing any ideas like quite like this.

Edit: A question though.

QuoteThe turnip is an item whose buying and selling prices change randomly each day. By buying low and selling high, you can make a profit off of these things. Its price goes up and down 1-5 coins a day, having a minimum price of 1 coin. It has no other use.

I would assume yes, but are the buying and selling prices visible?

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

Well, the idea was similar, but I think why it was shot down was because it was supposed to be our actual Djinn System, and that it really, really wasn't fair.

Charon

Quote from: Salanewt on 26, November, 2011, 12:06:40 PM
I would assume yes, but are the buying and selling prices visible?
Yup, it shows the selling price right before you confirm selling it...

Rolina

Aye, it wouldn't make sense otherwise.  It'd just be another gambling thing, and not really be much of a 'trade', you know?

So, what are your thoughts on expanding it in the way I suggested earlier?  Not right away, of course, we'll probably have to go bit by bit, but I think it'd be nice to get this into something that's quite a bit more fleshed out than it is now.  If this works out well, I also suggest getting rid of the "increase" option for money, and start everyone at five coins.  That way, people don't have to rely on people +coining them just to start out with this stuff.

Aile~♥

I say don't get rid of the "increase" option. The transition from Respect to Coins was so that Respect would actually be useful for something. Removing the "Increase" option defeats that original purpose.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Salanewt

Jamie has a point. If anything, it would make more sense to just remove or alter the current Respect system enough to make the Coin system more accessible.

Charon

The reasons why respect and coins aren't connected are the following:

1) They're two completely separate systems. (I can't view who gave Reputation but I can view who gave coins)
2) Without some modifications they would remove coins for negative reputation points, which may generate negative coins.
3) Respect is based solely on whether or not you feel that person is worth the post or not. The higher your respect, the better people think you are. Coins on the other hand are a commodity to let you get stuff if people give you them. The only other option for getting them in the system would be to link them with how many posts you make, which can be easily exploited. If they were connected there would be people who have collected a lot of respect and coins, but also people who made a few mistakes that would have few coins.

All in all, people can give coins if they feel a post is worthwhile, but also if they just damn well feel like it. The latter is discouraged for reputation though.

Rolina

Removing "Increase" has nothing to do with respect.  People + and - respect all the time, they hardly ever touch coins.  We should keep the ability to send money, but if we're going to have a trade system then we have little use for the "increase" option now, do we?