News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Role's Signature Discussion

Started by Rolina, 03, January, 2012, 01:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

Okay, I think I've figured out a way to do what I want without even needing spoiler tags.

Look below my post here - This is the basic layout of what I'm going to do.  It's gonna have a mini-bio in that first big box, and that second one will be basically an image rotation between the various classes I'd have - right now, it's a base, dummy data one so you can see how it'd look.  I'm probably gonna add Iovi Omnis Gloria to the top in this same format.

Total, the combined images should not reach 500x250, thus keeping to signature rules.

Anywho, now that I've figured out how I'm gonna do this... I just have one more question.  How does it look?  I'm trying to make sure it looks good as well, so I'd like y'alls opinion on the setup.

Edit:  I've also come up with some top-plate ideas, for the Iovi Omnis Gloria slogan.  Let me know which one you like the most.
Edit 2:  Realized some people may have signatures turned off.  I'll just go ahead and post the bases then.

Edit:  Decided to use Plate B.

Griever

So far it looks nice.
How about you choose a different color for each of the status strengths? E would be orange, D will be yellow for example ...
What are you gonna do with the squares bellow your character's Hp and Atk strengths?

Rolina

F (Awful) is Indigo
E (Poor) is Blue
D (Below Average) is Teal
C (Average)is green
B (Above Average) is Yellow
A (Great) is Orange
S (Excellent) is Bright Red
SS (Superior) is Deep Red

Green squares are Statistical references.  Typical fantasy fare, done in stat ranks rather than actual numerical values.
Yellow squares are Inventory, just as in DD.  I did have Noctiluca's Jewel (the staff in the image Misery did), but it didn't look right so I got rid of it.  Slowly, yet surely, as I make the pics for my inventory items, you'll see them put in there.
Blue is Psynergy.

The four squares below my portrait are:  Elemental Affinity, Fundamental Affinity, Clan Rank, and Innate Psynergy.  I'm probably gonna tweak clan rank so it looks better.

The four djinn represent the djinn needed for the class.  There will be a number (akin to the psy cost on psynergy in-game) next to them, ranging from 0 to 9 based on the class.

Honestly, I'd rather have it done so that it's all one row rather than taking up two rows, but the image would be way too long then (I'd have to adjust the text boxes and other things, and in the end it'd probably be well over 900 pixels long.  That's just plain too long for a forum.

I'll probably be tweaking this as I go along as well - I'm currently looking up the various Character portraits right now.  Crossing my fingers on size.

Griever

QuoteF (Awful) is Indigo
E (Poor) is Blue
D (Below Average) is Teal
C (Average)is green
B (Above Average) is Yellow
A (Great) is Orange
S (Excellent) is Bright Red
SS (Superior) is Deep Red

I see, though I cannot seem to notice the difference in color between E and D ... maybe change it a little, make it either darker or lighter depends on what you think.
Also the Red used for the HP, PP and such is really close to that for SS ...

Dunno maybe the colors are messed up in the office computer lol.

Rolina

Black won't show up well on Dark Green, Jiten.  That's why I chose to do a deep red instead.

I'll work on tweaking the stat values a bit.  I'll let y'all know in the cbox when I'm done and uploaded.

Anywho, the new portrait is up - and YES!  Portraits are 64x64!

Rolina

You'd be surprised, Jiten.  This discussion has already made me go in and improve the stat ranks - they look much better now.

See?

Edit:  Something I really need to figure out is what font Dark Dawn uses, or at least what font is close to it.  Anyone know?

Rolina

Not really.  What are you asking about, exactly?  Are you wanting a rank above SS or something?

Rolina

That's what SS is supposed to be.  The absolute highest ranking is either SS or X, depending on where you go.  Problem is, more people are familiar with SS instead of X, which is why I used it.  I personally prefer X myself, but SS will have to do.

If you want an X rank, use the same color as SS, just don't use SS.  After, SS is X.

Also, the font I used for the Ranks is Engravers MT, Bolded, at size 14.

Rolina

...That's eight ranks already.  If you put one above SS, you're more or less forcing B to become average, when traditionally that role belongs to C.  After all, with 9 ranks, B becomes the mid-rank point.  With 8 you have C as a mid-rank, three on either side, and SS/X as the pinnacle value.

leaf

Actually, when I first saw this, I assumed B was the midpoint, rather than some intermediary between C and B. But it doesn't really matter if B is slightly above average or exactly average; B is typically the lowest a stat can be and still be expected to be "decent." C is "barely usable," D is "you better have a better offensive option than this if you don't want to be laughed at" and E is "good luck doing double digits, you poor deprived child." I've never actually seen F used, so when I saw your stat spread, I assumed you were using ranks from E-SS.

Anyway, you should put in some kind of background for your character portrait instead of leaving it completely transparent. It looks pretty awful when everything else has such a small amount of background space visible.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Aile~♥

Just wondering what the psy with the gold ring icon is supposed to be. And wondering why your highest class has only 14 psys. Put Paralyze or something on there, maybe? Wait... is that what the gold ring psy is?
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

That would be Paralyze.  It's not a gold ring so much as yellow lightning.

And why does my highest class have 14?  Because that's how it works.  There's room for 16.  Rarely does a class fill it out completely.  Usually it's 14, sometimes 15.  Typically, only tri-element classes fill it out completely.

@Leaf:  Must have been something you grew up differently in.  I always grew up with "C is average", even Letterman has the "average man scholarship" where you can get it only if you had nothing but Cs in all your classes your whole school career.  I think it's SS throwing you off - SS just refers to the max, it's not a range like the other values.

Kide

One question: what is the purpose of those two big light brown rectangles at the center, if any? Wil you put something on them?

Rolina

Have you played Dark Dawn?  Those are the squares items show up on.  Basically, that's my inventory.  I'm still working on getting my items to look right.

Kide

I played like a year ago... don't remember those graphical stuuf too well...

So you're saying you'll be putting items on both big rectangles AND on those dark brown square things. That's... a lot of items.
Or you're saying you'll put the same items from the squares into the upper rectangle, like in DD? Then what's the purpose of the lower one?

Rolina

The big rectangles?  Those are text.  I'm currently looking for the Dark Dawn font for it.  I found out that the title font is Valhalla, which I'm using for the top plate, but for the bottom one I need what's used in game.  The closest I've found is Georgia at size 8, but it's a serif font, and I need a sans-serif font.

Kide

Yeah, I thought it would be something like that. Well, good luck with that font stuff I guess.

Rolina

Aye... it's a sans serif font with a distinctive G and y.  If you wanna help look for it, here's a pic with a sample:

So far, the closest thing is Georgia, but it's a serif font, and I need sans-serif.

Aile~♥

I though they were most often filled to 15, especially for mages. Doesn't make sense to give a mage-type fewer abilities than a fighter-type, does it?
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

Slayer:  14
Hero: 14
Sorcerer: 15
Angel: 15
Justice: 14