News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Golden Sun Tla Crazy Mode

Started by RULER, 10, July, 2009, 11:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RULER

Golden sun TLA Crazy Mode is a hack made by me for GS TLA.

It's a full hack of the game, that makes EVERY enemy more difficult, and on top of that, more things are edited, like exp curve is lowered (making it hard to level) everyone starts at FAR lower levels.  These things plus the tough enemies and the bosses on steroids make the game a little bit more difficult.

Download link for V1 (ips patch of course) is located below.

http://www.filefront.com/14015367/Golden%2...razy%20Mode.ips

please respond to me with your honest opinion by sending me a PM on youtube, or just respond here!
my youtube account is jason48529
I have 3 videos of bosses there!

Good luck!    :JupiterDjinni:

This post has been edited by RULER on Jul 10 2009, 10:21 PM

thenightsshadow

I have an issue with your hack as far as difficulty goes.

Firstly, you didn't make Agatio/Karst harder, as you thought you did.  Seriously.  Secondly, none of the characters even reach Level 99 later, so you didn't change the curve at all.

You made the Flame Dragons look like Agatio and Karst with a sprite change, Wonder Birds are easier than Phoenixes, and Chestbeater looks like an ape?  King Scorpion is Felix?  What?

To be honest, looking through the other changes, it looks like you were doing changes for the sake of changes.
I'm willing to bet 100% you did NOT do a full runthrough of this game from start to finish.  That's what you need to be able to do.  If you can't, then it's not a hard hack, it's an unplayable hack.

This post has been edited by thenightsshadow on Jul 10 2009, 11:50 PM
Don't bug me too much.  After all, the 'shadow is always Sirius.

RULER

Just so ya know, you would lose some money, because i did make a full play through of the game, and edited nearly every enemy in the game.  (adding in a few random things here and there)

and, did you just pick up the patch, just to nitpick through all the data to find things to complain about?  did you actually try it?

nearly EVERY enemy has boosted stats, and new skills/ attacks.  This tooks HOURS of time to do, and i don't like to post it for other people to see, just to get shot down at every corner, it's my first hack of ANY game, and i'm trying to get better at it.

All i did was make it harder to level?  I made it so you HAVE to level to go on.  The whole point of this is to be put in difficult situation, wich you have to use your mind and tactics to get through.

On another note, UNPLAYABLE?  I played through the game, using tons of save states.  When i came across a new enemy, i exited vba, went to the editor, edited the enemy, reloaded the state, and played the enemy again, making loads of tweaks by repeating that process.  I played through the WHOLE game, edited loads of stuff as i went, and beat the whole game, with my reckless "play through fast with no leveling" playing type. This should be pretty easy for someone who takes there time during gameplay...

question: did you even play my hack, or just look through the data of it?  I made loads of edits to a lot of enemies, and i would appreciate it if people played through the game a little, and actually looked at the edits that i made...

Rolina

I dunno, he has a point.  From the looks of it, the person just changed stuff, they didn't actually test it to make sure the changes were what they had in mind.

Atrius (He/Him)

I don't have a problem with anyone telling anyone whats wrong with someone else's hack as long as they're not so hostile about it.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

thenightsshadow

Okay, so I was a little harsh, my apologies.

Here's a bit of help, then.

I'll start with my opinions regarding your apparent difficulty.

Quote- You didn't make every enemy harder.

RULER

Ok i admit that i didn't edit every monster, but a lot were edited.

And regarding the triple ruffian fight being to difficult, i started the game on hard mode, and, of course, coudn't win.  That's why I added a little something so you COULD.  The ruffian drops a weasel claw every time you kill it, for use on the triple ruffian fight.  It's power, plus the ruffian's weakness to every element, would allow it to be killed by a weasels claw easily.

~exp curve will be lowered in a future version~
as far as i can see, there is no way to edit exp curve at this point, except by going through and editing EVERY number, and that takes forever!

I havn't edited the extra dungeons yet because i have yet to find / password my old link data from my GBA.

When it comes down to bosses, i think i'll make a full run through the game, getting every djinni in the process, leaving some of the enemies the same, changing others, but lowing the bosses hp a little, and having there attack strategy focus on a certain field.  ex. buff him and weaken you,  psynergy storming etc.
how do think that could turn out?

This post has been edited by RULER on Jul 11 2009, 11:35 AM

Atrius (He/Him)

Thenightshadow, be nice.  Just because you're both making a difficult hack of the game doesn't mean you have to tear his apart, and try to prove yours is superior.  Use constructive criticism, tell him how to improve it, don't just insult it.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

thenightsshadow

The main thing here is that, if you DO want to make it tactics based, you have to alter the moves in a way so that it is harder to do the same thing twice on someone.

If one boss requires you to buff yourself and debuff them, how do you know that that particular strategy can't be used on another boss?

Here's a hint: list down the myriads of ways to kill a boss.  Then try and make the ones you want happen.

Edit:
A dedicated hacker shouldn't have to say "that takes forever".  If you want it, go do it.  Get a logarithm table, calculate it based on start and end points, and then just insert the data yourself.  It's not hard, and it doesn't "take forever".

This post has been edited by thenightsshadow on Jul 11 2009, 04:15 PM

RULER

That's exactly what my aim is going to be.

And when i gave that example, that's what the boss will do, debuff you (djinn fest, djinn blast etc) and buff itself (resist and the like)

and when i say "takes forever", i mean i can calculate numbers and such, but it would involve running through the exp numbers for level 1/2 through 99, which is possibly very time consuming.

Thanks for the ideas.    

Charon

o.O

I might suggest changing the monster groups as well. Don't go crazy, sometimes they cause graphical glitches (usually with the larger/medium sized sprites), but for example, if you used the Bee sprite, you could make it with better stats and a better move set. Remember, knowing how the game's stats work is crucial to making a difficult boss.

Also, never, ever forget to do a full run through of a hack. Until Atrius makes it possible to change warps, you'll have to play through the entire hack.

thenightsshadow

Quote from: RULER on 11, July, 2009, 06:16:00 PMThat's exactly what my aim is going to be.

And when i gave that example, that's what the boss will do, debuff you (djinn fest, djinn blast etc) and buff itself (resist and the like)
Well, there's a little problem <_<

If the boss debuffs you with Djinnfest and Djinn Blast, then your best bet is actually Summon Rushing.  If you want your boss to need a buff/debuff strategy, then one instance is to try raising the stats to higher than normal for your level, BUT with average moves.  If you want to have the boss do something, most likely it WON'T be the same strategy the party has to use.

Zach

Quote from: RULER on 11, July, 2009, 06:16:00 PMThat's exactly what my aim is going to be.

and when i say "takes forever", i mean i can calculate numbers and such, but it would involve running through the exp numbers for level 1/2 through 99, which is possibly very time consuming.

Thanks for the ideas.    
TNS is right when he says it takes dedication to make a hack. It's going to "take forever", but the longer it takes, the better the results are (usually). But remember this, when it comes to making hacks, patience is the key. Besides, editing the exp curves doesn't take nearly as long as editing items, abilities, classes, and enemies. If i was good with sprites I'd edit that too <.<.  

RULER

UPDATE:  redoing the hack from scratch
going to do closer work with the editing + doing multiple tactics for different enemies.

@charon: im planning on group editing as well, and i am well notified to the restrictions

@TNS: one of the problems with doing high stats is that currently we can't edit defense, so until future versions, thats a little problem :(
i would like to see, on the other hand, a couple of enemies or maybe even
a boss that get's in a buff/debuff fight with the party
that way, no one would summon storm a regular enemy, and the boss would have enough health to survive a summon storm
those bosses and enemies would have fairly low stats, but would buff themselves, so if the party is prepared enough, it would be easily killed.  Until a future version when we can edit defense, that would be what i would do.  After editable defense, i would probably go with your idea.                                                                     :FallenKraden:
without good tactics, the party would be toast

thanks for the help and ideas guys

edit Zach im very aware of all of those things, all im saying is that the task of running through and changing 760 values can be quiet a task.  

This post has been edited by RULER on Jul 11 2009, 10:13 PM

Zach

Yes it can be, but I'm just making sure you're aware