News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Newly Discovered Debug Menus

Started by Atrius, 07, July, 2009, 10:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atrius (He/Him)

I found the code that handles opening menus in game, and decided to try out some stuff to see if I could get different menus to open up.  After a little messing around I found a couple of new menus.

By editing the value at 0x0804E130 to 0xFD20F7FF you can get this menu by opening the settings section of the start menu.  This menu allows you to select any area in the game, and instantly go there once you close the start menu.

By editing the value at 0x0804E130 to 0xFE4AF7FF you can get this menu by opening the settings section of the start menu.  Here you can change storybook flags, and such on a binary level.  L & R buttons scroll through pages of flags.

I'll let you guys know if I find any other secret menus.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Charon

Oooh! This must be something the programmers used during testing that they never removed. Great find, Atrius!

(I'll test it later. I've got a horrible connection right now)

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

It looks like you're near Madra. That is pretty cool! Through Memory Viewer on the VisualBoyAdvance, [put exclamatory word here]!!!  I did the first one... the second one, did get the box to appear, didn't really use it though.

Replying to Number 1 Menu: Guess it would be the type of thing for video makers making stories...

you know I might actually play around with this too, (just for fun) =)

For example: 000000A5 will make cursor move to Sleep, and 0000000D, will make cursor move to Save, and DDDDDDDD will open the Save. And FF3333FF is a noisy freeze. (were just some random examples)

put in 0804E130 at 0804E130, it's the STATUS page at Page:5 or 7 (and it appears you have to hit the left or right arrow keys before they appear)- But it seems inaccurate so the code is somewhat close., because exiting the menu you freeze, so once this hex is fixed it should be fine.

and something else

0804E160 get Issac pic, and a dialougue box 0 Master Poi, and also an inaccurate hex.

This post has been edited by charleysdrpepper on Jul 8 2009, 06:01 AM
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Charon

I must be reading in a wrong edian but it has no effect when I tried it in VBA's Memory Viewer D:

Oh yeah, I tried this in Golden Sun 2, not the first one.

Edit: It has no affect in the first one.

This post has been edited by charleysdrpepper on Jul 8 2009, 03:50 PM
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Charon

Oh, that might be my problem then XD

*fedorapalm*

Salanewt

Hm... I should try doing this. I have to go to memory viewer, correct? Also, do you know what everything in the debug menu does, or are you still testing it?

Have a nice day.
:MercurySet:  :MercuryDjinni:  
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Charon

Memory viewer will work, yes.

A debug menu is probably used to check a portion of the game without having to spend the time of actually going there, I believe. I do a similar process with a warp in the first town in Jupiter (and when I forget to change it back, oh, the complaints I get XD)

Yes, Tools -> Memory Viewer, AFTER opening up the Golden Sun 2 file that you have.. and as soon as you put the numbers in (no need to hit any ok buttons at all) it should be updated, so you test it... in this case.. 0x0804E130 is for the Change Settings menu. and the hex you put in at that location says what to do when you open settings.. it's what I gather.

This post has been edited by charleysdrpepper on Jul 8 2009, 03:57 PM

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Salanewt

Oh, thank you both for telling me. I will tell you if I find anything unusual.

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

I just got to figure out how the hex decimals are linked though, still kinda new at hex programming. Edit: I hope that is understandable.

This post has been edited by charleysdrpepper on Jul 8 2009, 04:05 PM

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Salanewt

Oh, I have a question. I am not very good at hacking either, and I was wondering if you could please tell me where I change 0xFD20F7FF?

Please and thank you in advance.

Have a nice day.

That is a value put at 0x0804E130.

first of all, up at the top of memory viewer 32-bit should be selected,  then you put 0804E130 in the text box click Go, then you see four columns right? put FD20F7FF in the first column at the 0x0804E130 row.

Edit: 0x stands for hexidecimal.

This post has been edited by charleysdrpepper on Jul 8 2009, 04:26 PM

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Salanewt

Oh, thank you Charley. I will do that, and I will also do some testing (and maybe post a video).

EDIT: Thanks, this is awesome (Jenna in Mars Lighthouse by herself).

Any ideas as to how I can help gather data?

Have a nice day.

This post has been edited by Salanewt on Jul 8 2009, 04:31 PM

You are very welcome!

I'm not sure, about how you could collect data, but if you can find out more on the hexidecimals of this game, you can share if you'd like.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Salanewt

Okay. I will post a video based on my findings (this is awesome). I think Jenna has her own World Map music if she is not with Felix.

Have a nice day.

I wonder if somehow this  Disassemble under tools will help any, so I'll be looking at that.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Salanewt

Okay. Ohy yeah, remember the village that is to the Southeast of Jupiter Lighthouse? Well, you can go there (sort of) by selecting Anemos Sanctum.

Have a nice day.

Nice video watched it, anywayz here's something I just tried: (well yeah because of this topic)

Guess what, you can change the color of Jenna in the PALETTE section of the memory editor (that's what I call it, but it's called Memory Viewer). i got it like gray scale here's a pic.

You can also use the palette viewer to help with color coding, i think, thought this would be interesting to bring up.

Edit: I put in a bunch of 0s just for the sake of it, so some other colors may have changed too.

This post has been edited by charleysdrpepper on Jul 8 2009, 06:28 PM

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Salanewt

I think I will. I just managed to have a team of Jenna and Isaac only. Also, I a face/portrait test.   's name is not her real name in the room. I go there in a video, so I will post the link when it is done (I think it also tells you what you have to try to find).

Have a nice day.
:MercuryDjinni:  :MercurySet:

Oh cool. Could you please tell me where in the memory viewer I can change colours (I would not mind changing some of the greens to different shade, etc.).

Have a nice day.