News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Feedback for the forums?

Started by Rolina, 01, December, 2008, 05:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

For example, right now you're a Great Member.  I'm a Chosen One.  If we were to implement this, then clans would get to choose what those titles are - I'd be an Alchemist right now according to my post count, and you would be a Magician if you were Jovian (assuming I counted right).

Edit:  Also, if we could have our displayed badge displayed with a right align so that they're even, and if we could have a new field for Skype names that'd be great.

Actually, an interesting thing to do would be to have each of those little icons that show in our posts to have a position for them - perhaps in the order of profile, PM, website, email, skype, YIM, AIM, MSN, ICQ, Chosen Badge.  If one field isn't filled in, it's blank, rather than just being one thing listed after another as it is now.

Hoopa

In the profile tab, there's the "Who recently changed my Karma" and "Whose Karma have I recently changed". That's actually dealing with the coins now, and not respect or Karma. Might be wise to change that to reflect what it's showing.
"You seek the truth but are you able to handle it? What you find may not be what you expected... and it may ruin you in the end. Knowing that, will you continue onwards in your journey? Or will you give up and return to a life of apathy? The choice is yours..."

Rolina

Oh, I've got another one too.  Perhaps we could have a tab at the top that links to the Wiki, kinda like how we have one for the Homepage and Shop?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

QuoteAn easier way would just be to have it so that if the last post in a topic is edited, it'll bump it on the list, signifying that there's new info there.
But if we are just fixing a grammar error, we might not want it bumped on the list. Your suggestion is the best so far. However, I recommend there be a checkbox for "Bump" or something like that.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Rolina

No, that might be abused.  Instead, just alter the option to "Major edit" instead of "bump" and it'd do that.  It's basically the same thing, but it's no longer a big red button to noobs.  It'd be unchecked by default, of course.

Yeah, I suppose Major Edit would work. People can still abuse it though, when they learn why the option is there.

I'd say you'll probably want to put some restraints on it as well..

For example, say you can only bump one topic once a day, so you have to pick that topic wisely. (That seems a bit restrictive though, but less restrictive then not having that opportunity at all. (Like right now.).)

Edit: In the end, it is probably best just to explain how to not abuse the Major Edit box in the rules, and what not, etc.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Griever

@Role: i see, that makes sense and i take it the clans shpuld provide the pisition names?
A field for skype names would be a nice addition.

Also i will agree with Whiz here coin related options should reflect that ....

And maybe the suggested changes should be in one post so that Atrius will hate the clans less?

Rolina

Yes, they should.  It also only applies to the Four Main clans - the fundaments are more or less hangout places, so... yeah.  Also, I'm not expecting atrius to take this on until the end of July when he gets back.  When that happens, I'll make the Official "Honey Do List" of the forums with all the suggestions in finalized, ordered form, and with examples if we've got them.

Also, including a bit of an incomplete mockup of what the new memberlist would look similar to when this is done, using the new Jupiter skin I'm working on.

That is a nice mock up? But... adding a bunch of IMers can get to be a bit ... messy.

I almost feel like there should be a way to combine all of those. (And maybe have the icons show up in the order they want, like if they would rather be contacted on Skype rather then MSN, that icon could appear first.)

The way the settings page could be done may be a bit more complicated, though.. I suppose you could replace the labels with Combo-boxes. (And the Combo box can have a Ă–ther selection.. the icon used for that could be a simple general icon.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Rolina

Adding a bunch?  What are you talking about?  Only skype was added.  All the others are already fields on the forum, even the no-longer-used ICQ.

Also, can you explain what you mean with the settings thing?  I don't follow.

QuoteAdding a bunch?  What are you talking about?  Only skype was added.  All the others are already fields on the forum, even the no-longer-used ICQ.
I know, but I was mainly suggesting a way to make those set columns a bit shorter. The element, clan rank, and fundament already take a good deal amount of space.

QuoteAlso, can you explain what you mean with the settings thing?  I don't follow.
I guess I was a bit vague, the page where the users put in that information. 

Mine: http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?action=profile;u=2;sa=forumProfile
Role's: http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?action=profile;u=6;sa=forumProfile

EDIT: The image you have made shows that your resolution is bigger than mine. So...

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Rolina

It was a mock up.  They'll probably be larger, accounting for the sorting arrow.  However, I'm not going to spend all of my day making that perfect.  The fact that most of the new fields are blank should have said to that.  Also, my monitor's native resolution is 1200x1600.  It'll look different with smaller resolutions, but all of them should be properly proportional.

I also don't see how it's exactly complicated or what you want.  Can you make a mockup to give an example of what you're suggesting be done?

Edit:  New thing to be requested:  Change it so that the space added by the sorting icon isn't xbox huge, but merely the size of the icon itself.  Expanding a field an inch wide is kinda insane, especially for the IM lists.

This is a fairly quick example. The top shows how all the IMs can be in the same column.

The bottom shows how it could be down. There is also a Website URL field below this information which you could probably get rid of when making this change.

The Email selection in the combo-box is something I'm not 100% sure about.... Since that is on another page. But I suppose one can have alternate emails.

Edit: It is likely that you won't need more than 5.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Rolina

Problem is, some people may want to sort by whether they have said IM type or not.  You can sort by MSN right now, for example.  How would you sort that, though?  It's a great idea, sure, but... sadly, it won't work like you hope it will.

Well, sorting.. I am not so sure if I'd call it impossible, but yes, it may be quite complicated to code.

I imagine you'd click "Contact Information" and a drop down list would show all the possible sorting methods.

As for how the sorting would work... I wonder if you can still have separate variables in the code that pick out all the users who have for example MSN or not.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Rolina

Well, that's the thing.  You say to simplify in one hand, but complicate things in the other.  It's a great idea, sure, but it's just not very feasible unfortunately.  It also conflicts with my other idea for the in-post info.   Here, I'll make a mockup and post it in a bit so you can see.

Edit:  Here's what my idea is:  ImageRight for the badge, and two rows for the icons - first is forum relevant, second is IM related.  Each one has a specific field that it calls - if they have it, it'll show the image.  If not, a 16x16 blank.gif or blank.png for proper spacing.  I know the information for our posts is a bit wrong (I don't have ICQ...), but I did it for example's sake.

Edit2:  Also, another idea.  You know how text appears next to the reply, quote, delete, etc icons in the posts and PM sections?  Let's just have the icons, and have the text just appear as mouseover instead of next to it.  It should be much more aesthetically pleasing.

Rolina

Got four new bullet ideas, this time representing the four djinn.  They're designed to be the same size as the elemental bullets.

This would allow for someone to utilize both the elemental bullets and the djinn bullets in one line without expanding the heck out of the line.

Compare:

Isaac as Ronin requires:   :MarsDjinni: 5,  :JupiterDjinni: 4, as the element levels register as  :VenusStar::MarsStar::JupiterStar: 4
Garet, though, needs:   :VenusDjinni: 5,  :JupiterDjinni: 4 instead, because his innate element is Mars instead.

Contrast with:

Isaac as Ronin requires:    5,  4, as the element levels register as  :VenusStar::MarsStar::JupiterStar: 4
Garet, though, needs:    5,  4 instead, because his innate element is Mars instead.

Shinigami

Just a quick suggestion:

Some of the user names in the "Users active in past 15 minutes" are hard to read on the default forum "skin". Could you please include an option in the "look and layout preferences" that, for example, highlights them all black?

Example:
Griever ---> Griever

Sorry for using your name without permission...
So nanoka~

Rolina

No, a better idea would be to change the color of the usernames like we've been asking for for some time.  The big problems seem to be Mercury and Sol.

Rolina

New addition for the Honey Do List:  Changing it so that there are only two categories of Badges:  General and Special Event.  General include all the standard, limited edition, and user generated badges.  Special Event include things like the April Fools Day event badges and the Elemental Cirno contest badge.  Also, we should allow a form for badge sorting/order for those who want it.  A form to fill out and send to Charon, so to speak.