News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Feedback for the forums?

Started by Rolina, 01, December, 2008, 05:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

I'm gonna be making the Honey Do list tomorrow - does anyone have anything else they'd like to add before I make the new topic?

Pkmn-Master

All this clan talk is confusing..

Anyways, I think the main "Golden Sun Hacking Community" Picture at the top is obnoxiously huge. Maybe if it was halved it would look better.

Rolina

Three things:  First, what is your resolution?
Second:  What skin are you using?
Third: What clan talk?  This isn't the right topic for clan talk, after all.

Pkmn-Master

1600x900 is my resolution.
I'm using the Dark Dawn skin, but I haven't tried any others.
Disregard that clan comment. =P

Rolina

You're right - the dark dawn banner IS pretty big - I also see you were talking height, not width.  Yeah, it could use some trimming.  Talk to Charon about it - she's the one who does the skins.

Rolina

Making a suggestion to upgrade the Sol and Luna bullets, and possibly get you to add in that 8th one.

Look at this, compare to that.

vs

I've gotten the Luna Gem juuuust light enough to look like it fits in with the set, it was too dark earlier.   Sol was just the opposite, it was too soft/pale compared to the others... but the fix was crazy easy, and actually fits the set WAY better than I'd hoped.   And of course, the editor says we can fit 8 elements, with the last three being labeled ?.  Assuming we allow for derivative elements, those who use up all eight slots need a way to notate the eight slot. Please ignore this until I figure out why exactly it is that Atrius is so vehemently standing by the 4-options only, despite No Element being a clear fifth choice within the editor.  While the Green Bullet does complete the set, the reasoning given is pointless if my theory on how the code works is off.  I still support its adoption regardless, though, as I'm sure it'd have its uses.  I still would like the green star to be here, as it's part of the set.  And while Atrius delivered the blow of "256 element choices if you're willing to deal with the coding nightmare" to me, essentially making my argument for 8 moot, the option for those who want it would be nice.  The only reason I even suggested using :saturn: for it is because it fits with the naming theme for the others.

Again, Sol and Luna will REPLACE the current ones - the ones we have will be deleted and replaced by icons with exactly the same name - this would essentially upgrade every single instance of the bullets/gems in the forum, and make it overall look better.

dwkjohn

ok. so roles sudden interest in changing her profile pic remindes me that I haven't changed mine in a while. then I remembered I couldn't bcz the upload from computer doesn't work. I have to upload iit to another site and use the url. any ideas why?
Just sayin'.  

,-~~-.___.            Golden Sun
  /   |  '         \   Hacking Community
(     )           0              |
   \_/-, ,------'              /
      ===                     //                   
      /    \-'~;    /~~~(O)
    /    __/~|__/         |   
=(  _____| (_________|
All your internet entertainment.

Rolina

Sudden interest?  What are you talking about?  I change my rotation every season.  I just happened to find a new rotator that works with SMF.

dwkjohn

Sigh. Andnow that I get around to asking this it suddenly works. And I didn't realize what. U were doing I thought u were just changing it a whole lot.
Just sayin'.  

/    \-'~;    /~~~(O)
    /    __/~|__/         |   
=(  _____| (_________|

Rolina

A new thing to suggest - Purging anyone with 9 or less posts after 6 months of no posting, and moving up the 0 posts to be purged after only two months.  I've noticed that there's people who showed up, posted once or twice, then never posted again.  If they don't hit double digits (easily done in a single conversation!  Imagine if they said something in multiple threads!) by 6 months, then I think it's safe to say they're not coming back.

Of course, the 6 months would be from the time of their latest post, not from the join date.  It'd be no fair if they got purged after they finally started to become active, after all.  0 posts, of course, will remain as being purged-based-on-join-date.

I think by doing this, we get a better gauge on how active the site really is.

Another idea - reorganizing emotes.  Anyone with eyes can see that [more] thing right there - so why not just display emotes that are either more emote-y or things like the bullets?  We're not getting rid of any emotes - just rearranging them to make them more presentable.  In fact, I honestly think we should keep the displayed emote size limited to say 16x16 or something, so we have nice even rows.

Personally, I nominate the following emotes to be on the two emote lines:

:!: :idea: :happy: :heart: :um: :up: :up1: :VenusStar: :MarsStar: :NeutralStar: :Unknown:
:?: :sad: :fury: :irate: :Sweat: :down: :down1: :MercuryStar: :JupiterStar: [more]

Alternatively, if people want the smaller 'djinn bullets', I suggest this:

:!: :idea: :happy: :heart: :um: :up: :up1: :VenusStar: :MarsStar: :NeutralStar: :Unknown:
:?: :sad: :fury: :irate: :Sweat: :down: :down1: :MercuryStar: :JupiterStar: [more]

IMO, it'd look more presentable this way.  Again, I'm not asking emotes to be removed.  That'd be dickish of me to do so.  I'm just asking that we change how we display them to look nicer.  I also don't expect the second setup to be adopted unless for some reason there's a demand by the other forum-goers to have the djinn bullets - Charon already kinda said they weren't needed.

Charon

I like your bullets, if I get spare time I'll try to change them.

The problem with deleting people with 2-3 posts is that they may come to just ask a question every so often, recall this website and return to ask the question. I think it would be kind of a jerk move to delete their account under those circumstances. We need a bit of member purging but not that much.

Also I know what Dkj is talking about, he's talking about our wonky avatar uploading system. I have no idea why it's being that way, I've been using an external service for quite a while now.

dwkjohn

Well when I changed it last, it was on a different browser. When I changed to my other browsrr to get around school blocks, it suddenlycame up. Oh well. Idont mind.

Also, I like Dkj!  :heart: :) cool nickname.
Just sayin'.  

/    \-'~;    /~~~(O)
    /    __/~|__/         |   
=(  _____| (_________|

Rolina

@Charon:  That's why you wait until six months since their last post, rather than from the start date.  If it takes them six months to get interested enough to actually post, it's their own damn fault.

Also, what did you think of the emote organizing idea?

Charon

You'll really have to see what Atrius says about it, I'm still fundamentally against the idea but he might decide that we need to increase the number of posts required.

I like the organization, will probably see to edit tomorrow. Don't worry, no emotes will be removed... but I'm not sure if I can assemble them in that exact manner. We'll see I guess.

Rolina

It's just two rows - the same as it is now.  I specifically designed it so that you only had to use different emotes without having to need different coding or anything like that.

Charon

It's not that, it puts a set amount on one row, then moves to the next.

Atrius (He/Him)

I'm pretty sure I set where the first row ended, and the second began...

As far as member purging goes, I'm against doing anything aggressive with it.  Having your account deleted out from under you does not make for a very friendly and inviting forum experience.  The idea with the current purging is to delete accounts that will likely never be used, not ones that were barely used and forgotten.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Charon

In addition, if a member was to return and forgot their password, it generally shows more respect to show that they already have an account than to have their account deleted. I recently returned to a forum that I signed up for 3 years ago and forgot about, and was pretty pleased to see I still had my account on there.

Ok I'll get to it, probably tomorrow... I'm tired though, got home from work at 2:00 am and working on CAFFINE OVERRUSH right now... Maybe I'll upload them tonight and do the arranging tomorrow...

EDIT: ACK ROLE Mind posting a zip file? =_=

Rolina

Zip file?  For what, exactly?  Be more descriptive.

@Atrius:  If they have left for half a year, with no posts, no nothing, then I think it's a fair bet to think they're gone and not coming back.  It's not being a jerk, it's just pruning inactivity.  You can't pull the rug from under a person if the person already left and is miles away, now, can you?

Griever

Hmm Role has a point. But so does Atrius.

How about, rather than deleting the account simply make it inactive?

When we first register we need to activate the account right? So for those who have not used there account for let's say 6 months. The account becomes inactive. Then if they decide to revisit and log in, they receive a message saying they have been sent an email to reactivate their account. Then have a script to recognize active and inactive accounts and sort them accordingly.

This will let us know how many active accounts in the forum and also still has the friendly approach Atrius wants to maintain.

Just so you guys know, I don't really know if it's doable or not.