News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Role's Rantings...

Started by Role, 24, May, 2009, 09:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

This is just a general thread for me to rant about stuff.  USUALLY this is about stuff that pisses me off, though there are instances where I feel the need to rant that's not because I'm pissed off at something.  Now then, I know y'all don't necessarily want to hear me go on a tirade, but you're going to, whether you want to or not.  So rather than make a bazillion different topics as they come to me, I figure it's best just to shove them all into one uber-topic and keep the forum much more clutter-free.

Oh, and feel free to comment/rant on any of the topics I rant about myself.

This rant's topic:

"Remixes" and Remixes

Okay, so my desire was simply.  I personally feel that Jenna's battle theme is sorely lacking and is latent with tons of unused potential.  So I wanted to see some remixes to see what other people felt fit in the song.  What did I turn up?  Different instruments.

...Wait, what?  How the hell is that a remix?  That's just choosing to play a bass guitar instead of a tuba!  That's just plug-and-play instruments playing those same darned notes in the same wasted fashion.  I eventually give up and search for other remixes... Surely someone's remixed the Saturos Battle theme!

...Oh, wait... No, they haven't.  Mario Paint ver, slightly different intruments version... But not a single actual DECENT remix!  There's no artisic flare, not taking someone else's work and mixing it with your own personal style and flare... there's NOTHING more than people using different instruments.  I mean that's great and all, but that's nothing more than the same song played by a different band.  The style, notes, beat, rhythm... everything is the same save for the timbre!

WHAT... THE... HELL?!

FINALLY I found a DECENT remix... though it's not to my personal taste, it's the only thing I've found that qualifies as a remix.  Haven't though other people heard of the Black Mages?  OC Remix?  Those other hundreds of groups that put out decent quality remixes that isn't just someone else's music with a different selection of horns?  AAAAGH!

What's worse?  People are commenting on how 'GREAT' these remixes are.  But that's the thing... you may think it sounds better this way... but it's still no different than before!  Seriously, how hard is it to add a bit of your own little pizazz to the song?  To MIX IN a bit of yourself and your style, and to REWORK it to fit that style, while still keeping true to the original?  That's what REMIXING is all about!

weckar

and yet, all songs remixed always sound like more of the same to me... increased bass and a few jingles played over ever repeated parts of the original.

Charon

I do remixes, but Jenna's theme is just... well... hard. I did it, but not well... at all... -_-

On Saturos's theme... Have you ever heard of a guy named Retsej? He does some damn good stuff. He's on GSR, dunno if he's heard of our place. His music request thread is here.

As I said, I do remixes, but I'm relatively new to the scene. Here's my best work. If you really want to see my thread, it's here.

And don't kill me, I'm a novice -_-

Rolina

Actually, Charon, if I'm not mistaken, it sounds like you added some stuff to go along with it.  It goes really well, and I dare say that it sounds like something you might here in a GS3-type game, a slightly remixed version of the old one.  I mean, it seems like you did more than just swap what insturment played what, and the end result seemed quite nice.  It's actually kind of the type of thing that I was looking for.  A slight remix of the old theme that at the same time isn't just the old one with different instruments.

I don't know what you mean by calling Jenna's theme hard, though...  I listen to it, and it seems... empty, or lacking...  To me, that says that there's loads of potential to do stuff with it, you've just gotta find something that seems to work.

Oh, I guess I should bring up something a friend of mine from Austin told me about...

http://www.youtube.com/user/PokeRemixStudio

That guy?  Is good.  I thought you may like to check him out, if only just to listen to and enjoy.  You can easily tell what the song is, but at the same time, it's not just some clone of the song.  It may stray a little to far to be used in an actual game, but the music is solid.

...Though Charon, if you could, I love to hear some more of your remixes in your creative works area.  I mean, I love the original songs you made for pokemon jupiter.  I figure that if you just try to make your remixes seem like an updated version of the old one for use in a future game, similar to what you did with the Karagol Sea theme, it should be really good.

Edit:  O.o  Checked out your Jenna Theme remix... you may wanna tune your instruments.  Also, if possible, try to stick to similar instruments that are already being used in Jenna's theme, but just... add more too it.  Like I said, Jenna seems to be LACKING something, as if it's kinda hollow or empty.  So fill it in.  Experiment a bit, see if you can find something that you think fits the song either perfectly or really well.

Charon

Well, I'm currently working on Jupiter's Legendary battle theme, so I'll get it up ASAP.

((I'll be honest, I really don't like Jenna's theme that much XD))

Rolina

Today's topic:  Obama declares war on Anonymous

Maybe not literally, but as he's created this 'cyber czar', that's what he's done.  The czar will inevitably try to enforce ideals, and as a result, it's only a matter of time before the piss off the people.  And when that happens, great lulz will ensue.  Yes, the US government's most dangerous enemy is no longer some foreign entity or even Obama himself, it's we, the people of the internet, the residents of /b/, and the wrath of Anon.  And OOOOH... will this be fun to watch.  They will call us terrorists, and we well say:  "So?"  They will call us criminal, and we'll say:  "Is that all?"  They will attack us, and we will counter:  "Lulz, is that the best you can do?"  And they will learn what it's like to incur the wrath of the people...  Because as we all know, unlike offline, online we do not forgive, nor do we forget.  He's totally fscked now, so let the war begin, and let the lulz ensue.  Obama, you just screwed yourself something fierce.

weckar

This shall be known as the First World Flame War

Charon

... lol?

Luckily, we have enough rickrolling to deal with him, along with the fact that the internetz power level IS OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!!

As a friend of mine always reminds me, "The internet is serious business".

Rolina

I was thinking of the term:  War of Lulz.

Either way, if they even LOOK like they're gonna breach internet neutrality, there's gonna be hell to pay.  Mark my words.

Matrim

Does thou have a link to something i can read because i don't know what you are talking about?

Rolina

Lurk moar on news channels.  Fox News is what I tend to watch.  They may be a bit biased, but they're nowhere NEAR as bad as the other guys.  But not even Fox News is considering this.  They're just focusing on the possibility that abuse of power could lead to the violation of free speech rules, whereas I, a denizen of the interwebs, know better.

This isn't that... it's a delayed declaration of war.  The second this czar crosses Anon, IT'S ON.

Zach

well that's one way to [insert naughty word here!] up <_<

Rolina

This Rant's Topic:  Recovering long lost bliss.

I got it... I found it!  After two FREAKING LONG YEARS, I found a copy!  FINALLY, I can enjoy playing Dragon Quest Monsters 2 again!

...What am I talking about?  Okay, I'll explain.  DQM2 (I had Tara's Adventure, my brother Cobi's Journey) is one of my all time favorite games.  I'd logged over 140 hours, and had befriended (FINALLY...) almost 85-90% of the monsters there, and was working on the remaining ones, most of which were the higher rank, difficult to breed boss family monsters.  I absolutely loved the game, and played it as much as Golden Sun.  Then I had to move out of my first apartment...

Meet:  My mom.  She's a @#$%&.  She decided to help me move out, and I (foolishly) accepted.  How did she help?  Apparently by throwing every single game I had that WASN'T in my pocket at the time (GS: TLA, Rockman Zero 3, FFTA) into the trash.  Yeah.  I didn't find out until I unpacked, and then it was too late.  I lost my hard work... all that time... the [insert naughty word here!]ing @#$%& didn't understand how much blood, sweat, and tears I had put into these games, and thus 300+ dollars worth of games just went in the trash, one of which took me two years and I still haven't found another copy of (Tactics Ogre, Knight of Lodis).  Worst of all... DQM2 was gone.  Gone...  And it was old enough (2001 GBC game) that you couldn't find a copy.

Enter 2009.  Enter the Saturday before this post.  I call around various stores - mostly a place called Game Over Videogames, which specializes in old-school stuff - and I find it...  I FIND IT!  They had it, for 14 bucks (SO WORTH IT!), and they held it for me.  I got ready quickly and checked my needed route...

It was on the exact opposite end of town.  I'm in North Austin.  It was SOUTH.  The ride would be 2+ hours long.  SO WORTH IT.  I grab my SP and DS and catch the bus for the loooooong bus ride down there.  I get there, and the guy pretty much figures that it's me given how much I'm sweating (STUPID HEAT WAVE, STUPID QUARTER MILE ON FOOT...  STILL WORTH IT), and how I said I'd be down on bus earlier on the bus.  I get the game, rest a bit (AC!  HOW I LOVE THEE!), then head back...  Best weekend ever.  I've recovered one of my all time favorite games... and I don't plan on letting some @#$%& 'help' me move this time!

Rolina

This Rant's Topic:  Role is now an Aunt...

...I'm... an auntie...  My little brother's kid was just born, so... yeah... There's so much I want to say, and so much I don't know how to say, so just pretend you hear the rant going on in my head, okay?  In the mean time, I've got an adorable little nephew to see!

Atrius (He/Him)

Congratulations, Auntie Role!

Little brother's kid?  How old is your little brother?
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

19.  He's an idiot for having a kid that young, because life is gonna be hell for him.  ESPECIALLY since my mama and I formed an alliance to spoil the kid rotten. ^-^

Salanewt

Oh yeah, congratulations!

Wow, that young for having a kid? Wow.

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Insularity

I almost feel like calling you Auntie now.

Actually, I will.

Auntie.

Awesome sig thanks to Akiko of the ToK!

Quote from: Hellfire Soul, the Temple of KradenAsians are cool. They deal with tons of stereotypes and don't afraid of anything. Alternatively, they're awesome because, well, just look at the Temple. There's four types of people here- Asian, Awesome, Asian AND awesome, or Necare.

The subcategory "Kickass" applies to the first three categories
Quote from: Cipher Phoenix, Golden SunriseBanned for being the opposite of sularity (whatever that means). xD

Rolina

That's what they're calling me over in TAOW.  "Auntie Role".  Honestly, I like that nickname. ^-^

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Lol, well my brothers kid poops so much it's ANNOYING and me and mom have to look after it while he goes to his friends houses RRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Charon

Role...

I'm an auntie too...  :Sweat:

Although my brother married into it, so it's more like Step-Aunt (um lol?). I feel kind of sorry for my nephew - my brother and his wife are such hicks, the kid wants to hang out more with my sister and I than them o.o