News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Thoughts on SOPA

Started by zman9000, 23, January, 2012, 11:37:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What did you think of the whole SOPA thing?

It was a mess.
It should have passed.
It was a waste of time.
It wasn't that bad.
It took my MEGA UPLOAD!
I don't care
I don't know

zman9000

What do you think about the whole SOPA hassle this past week or so.

was it worth it. a waste of time. pointless. are you glad it happened and failed. did you want it to go through? vote and then post a comment on your thoughts about it.

I my self don't really care anymore. it was stupid and there was no real point to it. I vote it was just a dumb waste of my and everyone's time.

But I'm interested on what other people think.
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

leaf

It shouldn't have existed in the first place, but fighting it was certainly not a waste of anyone's time.

And looking at the poll, it seems there is some confusion about megaupload. The megaupload incident was independent from SOPA; it was taken down with our existing laws. It wasn't just a piracy crackdown, although they certainly did it with horrible timing. Apparently, megaupload was involved in some actually illegal stuff (e.g. money laundering).

The real problem now is that this sets a precedent. Even though other filesharing sites may not be doing anything illegal, they'll be attacked anyway under the pretense of being a filesharing site like megaupload was - and they got that, right? It's not an exaggeration to say that the internet has taken a huge blow from this. http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120122/23343817505/megaupload-shutdown-means-other-companies-turning-off-useful-services.shtml
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

zman9000

I didn't mean exactly that the fight vs SOPA was a waste of time. the whole idea of SOPA was a waste of time. Why make something so big and stupid with out doing any  research. and i mean true research not the BS the government takes as fact.
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

This is like SOL, ... PA for Pennslyvania!

Though, I don't live there. How about Political Advice?

QuoteWhat did of the whole SOPA thing?
Say that again?
QuoteWhat do you think about the whole SOPA hassle this past week or so.
Oh.

I think it was dumb, too bad that's not an option.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Mars

This SOPA thing is like the condition in China, Chinese people do not have access to YouTube,twitter,Facebook and some articles of Wikipedia. :irate: This thing is AWFUL!!!

Durza

It was a waste of time that should never even have been considered. If people want to illegally get copyrighted stuff, they'll find a way whether or not some politicians have decided they shouldn't. All it would end up doing is get a few different names put on sites that achieve exactly the same things as the old ones. And it's given some people claiming to be Anonymous an excuse to attack Facebook as well, apparently.
It's not a lie if you don't want to be believed. You're can't be wrong if you don't think you're right.

zman9000

actually they said they aren't going to attack facebook, google, or youtube.
I know this because my brother is signed up with them and gets message updates on what they are doing... How? i have no clue...

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

So, if that was today... How do we know if the same would be true in like 25 years later? Either way, you cannot keep the same people in Congress forever. It's best to leave little room for misinterpretations.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Rolina

This is one of those good intentions, but with disastrous implications, and the masses of the internet immediately realized how much it could be abused and had it shot down.

Hopefully we'll get a revised version that does away with the potential abuses of power that could happen - piracy is a problem, yes, and pirates should be punished, yes, but not to the detriment of those who are innocent.  Furthermore, the companies representing the bill need to take a good hard look at their business models.  When the pirates are doing a better job of distribution of product than you, you're doing something horribly, horribly wrong.

The main cause of the rampant piracy is not actually the whole "free stuff", it's "I can't get this in my country".  And you know what?  It's their own fault.  Who do you think came up with region locking?  Why do you think gaming piracy is so bad, especially in games that aren't localized?

Aile~♥

I'd just like to point out: having your stuff featured on Youtube can result in increased sales. Take a look at Monty Python, for instance. There were already plenty of bad-quality videos of their stuff on Youtube. So what did they do? Put it up on Youtube themselves, in good quality. The result was that people started buying their stuff to support them. And of course any game LPd by Chuggaaconroy or The Runaway Guys inevitably gets a sudden burst of sales, if it's still around to be bought.

So really, the whole SOPA thing was a bad idea all around.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

A better idea is to make a law that allows you to shut down and kill sites that charge people for this content.  There are sites like that, and hunting them down and killing them is something everyone can get behind.

Aile~♥

But nobody uses those sites anyway! I can't imagine they make a profit in the first place. And we don't need a law for that, they're already directly against the law and can be shut down at any time. We don't need new laws to enforce copyright. Just use the ones you've already got. They work fine in regards to US-based websites.

Salanewt

Jamie has a point. It would be better to keep the laws that already exist instead of granting business owners the right to shut down websites in foreign countries. I mean, the US shutting a website that is hosted in China would make the US look terrible because they should have absolutely no jurisdiction in China. If they are trying to stop piracy, then the right way to go about doing that would be to encourage other nations to make similar laws to fight piracy with.

Of course, the majority of other governments aren't under the control of big business - they can make their own decisions without having some music company holding their hands through the process. Not to offend anyone, of course... I'm so lucky to live where I do, haha. :happy:
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

zman9000

QuoteAnd of course any game LPd by Chuggaaconroy or The Runaway Guys inevitably gets a sudden burst of sales, if it's still around to be bought.
well Jamie Chuggaaconroy has been recognized by Nintendo and has even been invited to some places by them. if anything they know that he's helping them and increasing their sales.

Other company's should do stuff like Nintendo. I mean even Microsoft does something like that, Rooster Teeth works on x-box games, shows of the games, and other things. and they are being payed by Microsoft.

If company's were to put a little more thought into it they could be making even more money by supporting people like them.

Misery

The whole idea of SOPA is basically hunting mosquitoes with bazookas. I was never really that worried about it, as I didn't believe the people of the US would let it pass.

In a way I'm glad it was suggested. The American government is picking a fight with the whole computer using world, and they're not going to win. The internet is a beast out of their control, if they can't shoot it down maybe they'll be forced to befriend it, and maybe there will be some new laws that are actually accustomed to current technology.

Piracy also isn't nearly as big of a problem as the big companies make it out to be, since in reality, only a fraction of those who download stuff would've actually bought it in the first place. The only exception where it actually takes away a large sum from the profit is the most mainstream stuff that rolls in so much cash anyway that it hardly matters.

If buying data from stores was as easy as downloading it from the web, retailers could cut their prices in half and still multiply their profit many times over. Hell, it would probably be more profitable even if they gave the actual IP holders a greater part of that profit. Of course, everyone else between the product and the customer would be left without a job, but it's a changing world, right?

Quote from: zman9000 on 27, January, 2012, 03:56:08 PM
Other company's should do stuff like Nintendo.
Please do some more research about Nintendo. They are indeed an extremely successful company, which involves being asses most of the time.

Aile~♥

Indeed. Nintendo's business practices weren't exactly fair from the start. (Originally, you had to PAY to get your game playtested by Nintendo, and you weren't allowed to sell it without their testing being done first.) They have kinda been asses most of the time. They still make good games, and people still buy them, though.

Rolina

Ideally, what would happen is that the companies look at the business and distribution models of the Pirates, than beat them at their own game.  The only reason it's such a horrible problem is that they failed to adapt to the digital age.