News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Random GS2 hack idea (another one)

Started by Aile~♥, 31, January, 2012, 10:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aile~♥

Just an interesting hack idea that I thought up, which basically throws most of GS's usual rules out the window. Beware: wall of text ahead.

Fighter mechanics

Physical attack moves are known as Flourishes. A Novice level Flourish costs 4 PP. This is the same amount of PP as a Fighter starts with. A Fighter's PP does not increase with level up, but only by equipping a Djinni. Each Djinni equipped gives a Fighter 4 more PP. Master level Flourishes cost 8 PP, and Arcane Flourishes cost 12 PP. A Fighter's Showstopper Flourish, available only with 8 Djinn equipped, costs 36 PP. Scoring a Critical Hit with a weapon attack will restore a Fighter's PP by 10% of the damage inflicted, and is the primary way to restore a Fighter's PP in combat.

Fighters start with no innate element, using only non-elemental Novice Flourishes. Equipping a Djinni gives them access to some Novice Flourishes of the element of the Djinni, as well as Master Flourishes of both non-elemental and elemental varieties.

Fighters are divided into two groups: Mercenaries have a focus on Flourishes with secondary effects, and will learn more power-focused Flourishes later.

Warriors have a focus on Flourishes with raw power behind them, and will learn their more technical Flourishes later.

Mages

Unlike Fighters, Mages have PP growth on level up, using roughly the same system as regular GS. Also unlike Fighters, Mages have an inherent element, and equipping Djinn instead changes their magic style. Mages naturally learn only the weakest spells of each style. (three weak damaging spells/one weak damaging spell series, one weak healing spell series, two weak stat-buff spells, one weak stat-debuff spell, two weak ailment-inflicting spells, one weak 'unique effect' spell.) Equipping Djinn gives their style more focus. Equipping a full 8 Djinn of the same style would give a character extreme focus in that one style, to the point where spells of that style are the only spells they learn. For instance, a full Bronze Mage would learn nothing but stat-boosting, stat-debuffing, and ailment spells. They would have no offensive options or healing spells.

The four styles are:

Crimson: A style obtained by equipping Mars Djinn, Crimson mages learn the strongest of damaging spells, capable of obliterating enemy ranks with a single casting. A combination skillset of Crimson and Violet is especially potent, learning high-power spells that have a chance to deal double their regular damage.

(spells: Epicentre, Beam Cannon, Titan Blade, Ocean Fist
Hellsgate, Thunderhead, Fissure, Tidal Wave.
Magma Storm, Tempest, Grand Gaia, Absolute.
Bronze: Supernova, Gale Force, Nettle, Deluge.
Violet: Flare Beam, Sonic Slash, Stalactite, Hailstorm.
Azure: Dragon Rise, Ether Drain, Wild Growth, Coldforge.)

Azure: A style obtained by equipping Mercury Djinn, Azure mages learn the most potent of healing spells, capable of curing the most potent inflictions and bringing allies back from the grave. They also learn a few inefficient PP restoring spells. A combination skillset of Azure and Bronze magic allows magic that increases allies' stats while healing them. Combining Azure and Crimson magic allows spells that deal damage and heal the user.

(spells: Ply series, Cure series, Boon series, Warm series.
Wish series, Heal series, Fresh Breeze series, Aura series.
Antidote, Restore, Recover.
Miracle, Revive, Resuscitate, Resurrect.)

Bronze: A style obtained by equipping Venus Djinn, Bronze mages learn a wide variety of stat buffing, stat debuffing, and ailment spells. Combining with Crimson magic allows stat-debuffing and ailment-inflicting spells that also deal damage. Bronze and Violet magic don't combine very well.

Violet: A style obtained by equipping Jupiter Djinn, Violet mages are the odd ones out, learning unique support skills with a variety of interesting effects. They can form barriers to protect allies from attacks, grant allies extra actions, and prevent enemies from taking their actions, among other abilities. A combination skillset of Violet and Azure magic allows spells that heal based on percentage of max HP, rather than flat value. It also grants a powerful recovery spell that heals an ally and gives them HP regen.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Cool hack idea, Jamie. I like this one a lot, that I do.

Would you be also adding consumable items that when used, give a PC a new move? For fighters, you can have Flourish Guides, they would say, like for example Flourish Guide: Inferno Heart or Flourish Guide: Storm's Eye. And for casters, Tomes, something like Azure Tome: Ymir's Bolt or Bronze Tome: Cry of Gaia.

That was one of the ideas I had for a failed hack, that it was.

Awec

I'll confess I was dubious at first, but having properly read through it actually sounds rather interesting.
I. Am. A. Spoon.
Yes, a spoon that is awesome that is a Jupiter adept that is one of the Anemos that lives on the freaking moon.
What of it?

Rolina

I like this idea.  However, I suggest you separate from golden sun with this - something like this has a lot of potential, and I think it can shine on its own.  So I'm guessing there's 2 warriors, 2 mercs, and 4 mages, right?  That way we'd have a mage for each element...

I'd love to see this expanded on.