News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Jamie's Guide to Cool Ability Effects

Started by Aile~♥, 24, February, 2012, 10:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

That's the thing, though... super powers is often the go-to science fiction thing.  Psychic falls under that.  I'm kinda sick of that - what if this was a world where such things were impossible thanks to the laws of physics?

If you really wanna do that, I suggest a Star Wars hack, since the Force fits that perfectly.  Personally, though, I prefer a superpower-free approach - it's something I've almost never seen.  Even freaking Xenogears/saga had a mystic element going in it...

Aile~♥

Update with information on value overflow for Healing abilities. It's really weird how the game behaves when that occurs. I don't even get it.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

leaf

[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Durza

That heal overflow sounds interesting. I'll have to check if going even higher results in damaging the target or restoring small amounts of HP and PP.
It's not a lie if you don't want to be believed. You're can't be wrong if you don't think you're right.

Misery

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 17, April, 2012, 07:37:15 PM
Update with information on value overflow for Healing abilities. It's really weird how the game behaves when that occurs. I don't even get it.
I tried using heal overflow quite a while ago in hopes of getting damaging attacks using the heal formula, but in my disappointment I failed to notice the other effects you described...

Kide

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser
Healing Overflow: It turns out that Healing abilities actually use a signed 16-bit value for their base power. But the editor doesn't know this. So what you do is you set the ability's power to something just over 32767 (I used 33000), so that it will overflow to the most negative value possible, or at least close to it. This has an odd effect. At such extreme levels of negative healing, the game will not actually damage the target. Instead, the target's HP will be fully restored (though it still says "[character] recovered -31500 (or whatever) HP!") and, for whatever reason, so will their PP. If you were hoping to fully restore HP and PP as well as some other effect, this will free up the secondary effect slot for you!

HP and PP full restoration? I've seen this already, and in an even weirder way, when trying to change HP limit to over 16,383, for both enemies and PCs. I don't know for sure, but I believe the game is coded to reset HP and PP values when something... unusual happens, like healing negatives. However, this thing worked a little differently for my case. Any value over 16,383 could cause this issue. The higher the value, the more frequent the resetting happened.

But in the case of your discovery, if the problem really is the healing negatives, I think not all values over 32,767 would cause it, while some lower than that could. I say that because the healed HP depends on elemental power. So, if a character with 149 Power used a 24,000 base power healing ability your effect would still happen. But if this character had 104 Power instead, you would indeed be healing around 24,000 HP.

Edit: Yep, confirmed. So I believe there isn't a universal value you can use for this effect if you want it to always work, since elemental power may range from 76 to 200.

Aile~♥

Yeah, I know about that. I discovered it the hard way. But what does work is to make your healing ability non-elemental, so that any value around 33000 will cause the glitch.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Kide

Ah yes, you're right. I keep forgetting things can be non-elemental...

It's a bit of a letdown, though, being limited to a single element (or the lack of one in this case). But at least it works.